10 things you need to know about losing weight

Options
I was looking up some info online and found this documentary. It may be remedial for some but for me I thought it was good info.

So here is what I have learned:

1. Once on a diet and exercise plan the first to go is Visceral fat ( the fat that surrounds your organs).
2. The Ghrelin hormone triggers high calorie cravings. So don't skip meals and don't wait til you are really hungry to eat.
3. Changing the size of your plate from 14" to 10" will help you in eating 22% less.
4. We forget 40% of we eat throughout the day. So log and count calories! :)
5. Protein helps you stay fuller longer by increasing it just 10%.
6. In a study they have determined that soup keeps you fuller longer.
7. People often eat more when they have a variety of food available to them.
8. Low Fat Dairy binds fat to the food you eat and is then excreted. see video.
9. The benefit of exercise is that you continue to burn fat for up to 24 hours.
10. Adding a little bit of extra activity through out your day burns extra calories. (fidgeting, parking farther from the entrance, etc)

Replies

• californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I disagree with most of that. It's actually more simple than that. To lose weight eat less, move more. end of story.

People make it too complicated. I did find that eating on desert plates helped me eat less, but I ate whatever I wanted and that works better than any diet plan out there. I've tired most all of the diets ---> http://www.venusindex.com/ten-thousand-ways-that-wont-work/
  • jojorocksforeva
    jojorocksforeva Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I agree with you a lot but what about the being healthy part
    not just what you want but eating healthy things????
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I agree with Cali on this one.
    Lotsa Broscience on this one.

Eat at a slight deficit.
    Have a cheat meal every once in a while.

Ghrelin is far more complicated than that and it plays off leptin, Neuropeptide-Y as well as other hormones.

If you want to lose weight, use the smaller plate, eat smart (80% whole foods 20% junk) and move like a human.
  • Go1096
    Go1096 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    All the studies, tests, and science talk did sound convincing. :)
  • Birdie
    Birdie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    You are not going to burn off the calories in a piece of gum by fidgeting or parking a few more feet away in a parking lot. I think people sabatage their plans to get healthier this way. Then we get to see the posts about how they do these things and still don't lose weight. Make real time for exercise. Exercise needs to be deliberate and purposeful.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    You are not going to burn off the calories in a piece of gum by fidgeting or parking a few more feet away in a parking lot. I think people sabatage their plans to get healthier this way. Then we get to see the posts about how they do these things and still don't lose weight. Make real time for exercise. Exercise needs to be deliberate and purposeful.
    I get where you're going, but the point remains that "you can't out-train a bad diet". People need to get the nutrition/diet in order first, because it's at least 80% of the battle. Exercise is a very good thing for a lot of reasons, but it doesn't convey a free all-you-can-eat pass.