should i be doing any strength trainning?

Options
hello i am just looking for some advice on if i should be doing any strength training or weights? all my activities seem to be cardio related i do Muy Thai kick boxing and been jogging 2 miles every day or at least 4-6 times a week depending on my luck. which i add some weights to help promote fat burning or am i alright as is? :)

Replies

• AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Add some strength training. It builds/maintains muscle, which burns more calories than fat does, and provides some balance to your cardio.
  • 13nicholas
    13nicholas Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    No question - I understand the need to sweat but weights will continue to pay dividends.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    yes you should do strength training. it is the best way to make significant changes in your body.

Check out: stronglifts.com

It's free, everything you need to know. Spend a bit of time reading there; you won't be sorry.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Yes. Yes. Yes. Weight training will help you reach your goals faster than cardio imo.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Yes. Cardio burns calories and helps create the deficit, but weight training helps ensure that the weight lost is more fat and less lean mass (muscle). Or as it's been said - "Cardio makes you look good in clothes, strength training makes you look good naked!".

Read this study, which shows the difference in fat loss between cardio and strength training programs while on a low-calorie diet:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10204826
  • LCgymnast
    Options
    Do some strength training in addition to what your doing now. You sound like you're on the right track with your goals. Muscle burns fat, so go ahead and start pumping the iron.
  • RebelliousRibbons
    RebelliousRibbons Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Yes!

And the advice others have given.
  • ghaleonhd
    Options
    thanks so much all! i will take everyone's advice into great consideration and will not let any of your words go to waste. :)
  • cyndymar
    Options
    Yup strenght training burns more calories , burns fat faster it will help its a plus
  • ghaleonhd
    Options
    just need to figure out a good decent workout plan to do with a cruel bar and some bells the only thing i have been doing is a bunch of push ups which i hope is strength related lol.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Yes. Cardio burns calories and helps create the deficit, but weight training helps ensure that the weight lost is more fat and less lean mass (muscle). Or as it's been said - "Cardio makes you look good in clothes, strength training makes you look good naked!".

Read this study, which shows the difference in fat loss between cardio and strength training programs while on a low-calorie diet:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10204826

Totally this.

Think about cardio as helping with a calorie deficit and therefore total weight loss but strength training as helping with body composition.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Yep. Start today. If you only have time for one or the other drop the cardio, : )
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    just need to figure out a good decent workout plan to do with a cruel bar and some bells the only thing i have been doing is a bunch of push ups which i hope is strength related lol.

Push ups are excellent

Suggested routine with what you have, I am not sure what a cruel bar is (I am assuming it is a pull up bar here):

Push ups (wide stance and narrow as it will hit more biceps/triceps respectively)
    Goblet squats
    Lunges (weighted)
    Pull ups (you can do negatives if you cannot do full ones where you start at the top and let yourself down as slowing as possible)
    Chin ups (negatives also if needed)
    Hanging leg raises
    Dips (using a chair)

The above should hit most of your muscle groups but I am sure others will suggest others.
  • ghaleonhd
    Options
    thanks all really :)