Trying to cut out bread and keep around 2500 cal a day.

Options

Replies

• RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/cooking-method/crockpot/
    http://southernfood.about.com/library/crock/blcpidx.htm
    http://www.momswhothink.com/crock-pot-recipes/crock-pot-recipes-for-the-crockpot-and-slow-cooker.html
    http://allrecipes.com/recipes/main-dish/slow-cooker/

I find wraps a welcome alternative to bread. And you can get them in a multitude of flavors, sizes and calorie counts.
    But then I'm staying at 2400 calories and I"m almost 6'4" and 554 pounds. So we eat a little different.
  • cattasraafe
    cattasraafe Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Was thinking it could be fat too. I am 5'11 not sure about my muscle mass though. I am no body builder, but I have been weightlifting to tone up. Not sure how accurate the hand held BMI readers are far as I can tell I am at 13% body fat and about 24 bmi. Yeah though probably do just need to keep working at it.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Have a look at my diary. I have 2500 calories a day and I'd say most of those days don't involve bread (although I don't restrict it at all, so it is in there sometimes - like today)

I don't choose to not have bread for any health / weight loss reasons. I just find it quite boring and I'd prefer to have a main meal, with other forms of carbs such as pasta, than I would a sandwich.

ETA: 27th August and before. I haven't logged my food all that much in the past few days, but there should be some regular logging from prior to that date :)
  • savageman69
    savageman69 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Was thinking it could be fat too. I am 5'11 not sure about my muscle mass though. I am no body builder, but I have been weightlifting to tone up. Not sure how accurate the hand held BMI readers are far as I can tell I am at 13% body fat and about 24 bmi. Yeah though probably do just need to keep working at it.

Im 5ft 11 as well and i went from about 230 down to 165 ish now and i still have stomach and chest fat...Im close to abs tho but its still there like i said its the last to go need to keep working is all dont lose faith it will go just be consistant.

Bmi is a joke...i mean if i was 180 of muscle it would say im obese so its to be taken lightly its outdated.

Had bf% gauges arent that accurate the true and best way is a proper water displacement test or skin fold gauges are a good one to.

Honestly make sure your not eating to little, and keep it up its just time is all
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Can you remind us your bodyweight? You said you've dropped 80lbs, are you in the 140's at 5'11" right now?
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Do you have a microwave in the workplace? If not can workers club together to buy a cheap one?

Then your food is not limited. You can make stuff to reheat?

You can take potatoes to microwave and add a filling.

I understand the whole bread thing, sometimes a sandwich just doesn`t seem healthy or filling enough.
  • wfte
    wfte Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    A couscous salad is quick and easy enough. Stick couscous in a bowl, pour over boiling water and cover for 10 mins, then just add in as much chopped veg, meat, spices as you like.
  • cattasraafe
    Options
    What is your reason for eliminating bread? You haven't really told us.

I guess I've not really said a "reason" in particular because I don't have to have one "Sorry if that sounds rude" . Its just a choice really I guess maybe I like eliminating thing that are not a necessity. I truly have no reason to get rid of bread completely just something I want to change.
  • cattasraafe
    Options
    Can you remind us your bodyweight? You said you've dropped 80lbs, are you in the 140's at 5'11" right now?

Actually I made a mistake I am at about 60lbs lost I'm sitting at about 167 at 5'11".
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    A couple of slices of bread in a 2500-calorie program shouldn't make that much difference. I would look at what you're putting on the bread.

Can you buy fresh bread from a bakery? It's likely to be more nutritious and filling.

I wouldn't cut out something that you really enjoy before exploring alternatives.
  • cattasraafe
    Options
    Do you have a microwave in the workplace? If not can workers club together to buy a cheap one?

I understand the whole bread thing, sometimes a sandwich just doesn`t seem healthy or filling enough.

Work place does indeed have a microwave. Time between breaks and such and the amount of people using all the microwaves I just avoid wasting time trying to use them.
  • cattasraafe
    Options
    A couple of slices of bread in a 2500-calorie program shouldn't make that much difference. I would look at what you're putting on the bread.

Can you buy fresh bread from a bakery? It's likely to be more nutritious and filling.

I wouldn't cut out something that you really enjoy before exploring alternatives.

I can't really say its something I "enjoy" I just use sandwiches because they are quick and easy. On them I use Romaine Lettuce, Mustard, Onion, Tomato, Pickles, Banana Peppers, Pepper Jack cheese, I use land o frost for the meat so the sodium is kinda high. But I don't just have a couple of slices I usually have 2 of those whole wheat bread never white. Also when I get home I might make a peanut butter and jelly or PB, banana, and honey.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options

Work place does indeed have a microwave. Time between breaks and such and the amount of people using all the microwaves I just avoid wasting time trying to use them.

hmmm then this does limit your options as to food because you will always have to eat cold foods?

So even if you make your self a whole lot of stuff at home to take in to work you would have to eat it cold?

So unless salads are going to be on the menu you are quite limited cutting out bread or some other sort of sandwich (pitta bread/wraps etc)

I don`t know what to suggest, unless there is a rota set up with the microwaves, wish I could offer more help with your dilemma!
  • SideSteel
    Options
    I'm just going to be blunt:

Don't be silly.

You lost 60+ lbs. If you had a legitimate reason to eliminate bread, I would speculate you'd know it by now. Bread is not holding you back. There's a few things to consider:

You are likely skinny-fat to a degree. You MIGHT not want to cut more weight as of now, but that's hard to assess without knowing your goals/physique.

You are either losing weight or you are not losing weight at your current intake.

If you are losing weight currently:
    Stick to it, the belly will eventually go down once you get lean enough.

If you are not losing weight:
    You are not in a calorie deficit. Reduce intake another 10% and give it a few weeks, monitor.

Neither one of these has to do with bread.

Are you lifting weights as part of your training?
  • cattasraafe
    Options

hmmm then this does limit your options as to food because you will always have to eat cold foods?

So even if you make your self a whole lot of stuff at home to take in to work you would have to eat it cold?

So unless salads are going to be on the menu you are quite limited cutting out bread or some other sort of sandwich (pitta bread/wraps etc)

I don`t know what to suggest, unless there is a rota set up with the microwaves, wish I could offer more help with your dilemma!

Eating stuff cold does not bother me at all mind you. Sometimes I actually prefer it. I'll make a bunch of stir fry and not eat all of it just eat the rest later and not bother heating it up. I guess I'm kinda weird like that.
  • cattasraafe
    Options

Don't be silly.

You lost 60+ lbs. If you had a legitimate reason to eliminate bread, I would speculate you'd know it by now. Bread is not holding you back. There's a few things to consider:

You are likely skinny-fat to a degree. You MIGHT not want to cut now, but that's hard to assess without knowing your goals/physique.

You are either losing weight or you are not losing weight at your current intake.

You are not in a calorie deficit. Reduce intake another 10% and give it a few weeks, monitor.

AH I see a misunderstanding here I'm sure its due to an error on my part. I'm not actually trying to loose weight. I am at a spot that I am comfortable with. My goals now are maintaining my weight or thereabout. Weightlifting is kind of part of my training, but I am not bodybuilding. I am actually just strength training and toning up majority of my training is building up to do triathlons and other run types.
  • SideSteel
    Options

Don't be silly.

You are likely skinny-fat to a degree. You MIGHT not want to cut now, but that's hard to assess without knowing your goals/physique.

AH I see a misunderstanding here I'm sure its due to an error on my part. I'm not actually trying to loose weight. I am at a spot that I am comfortable with. My goals now are maintaining my weight or thereabout. Weightlifting is kind of part of my training, but I am not bodybuilding. I am actually just strength training and toning up majority of my training is building up to do triathlons and other run types.

^ Gotcha, might be reading comprehension fail on my part, wouldn't be the first time.
  • cattasraafe
    Options
    Ah its not a problem. My whole gut issue though could just be that I am in need of more toning. Diet change is just kind of something I wanna see if it helps. If it does that is cool if not nothing is wrong with a little change.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    Options
    I'm at under 1900 calories and I can fit bread into my day.
  • cattasraafe
    Options
    I'm at under 1900 calories and I can fit bread into my day.

That is not the point.... I'm just trying to cut it out for now. Just to try a change.. I can fit it in all day long if I want.