Personal Trainers

Options
2»

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Why do trainers lock you into contracts? Couldn't more flexibility around arrangements potentially mean more of a different kind of business?

A one-off 'intro to form' + program design session & maybe some reading recommendations would be well worthwhile. Maybe a check-in every couple of months, as needed (again, on a one-off basis).

I wouldn't pay for ongoing sessions.

I think it's more the club than the individual trainer. We do some similar things, but offer training in smaller packages as well.

Many of our members know they want to work with a trainer on a long-term basis, either 2 or 3 times per week. If they are willing to purchase 6 months or 12 months worth of sessions upfront, they not only get an additional 10% the lowest price per visit we offer, we waive their monthly dues. It's a win-win--the member (who would have purchased the sessons anyway) gets a great deal, and we get a good chunk of $$ upfront.

We also offer single sessions, 6-, and 10-visit packages, as well as other training/membership packages for those who don't want to buy 52 sessions up front. That way everyone has options.
  • Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Edit: need more coffee before posting so I can be coherent. =)

Are they worth it? Yes, depending on your needs. For me, best decision ever.

Ditto this ^^^^ Mine is great, she is more than just an hour a week, always ready to give advice/help etc whenever I want to text/call/email her even when she's not at the gym, she is fantastic.
  • MandyJokl
    MandyJokl Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I thought I would never use a trainer but my friend used one for a few months and she recommended him. You can pay for one session at a time when you want one or pay for four up front and get the fifth one free.

He has taught me different routines to do in the gym that I would never have worked out for myself. I get different routines every week and I get weighed every week and get my muscle fat and water levels measured. My weight loss has slowed a little but my body shape has changed and I dropped a dress size very quickly. I have had five sessions so far and I intend to keep having a weekly session for a few more months. I still have over 8 stone to lose.
  • TXGirl821
    Options
    I never wanted a trainer. I thought I could do it on my own using whatever workout programs I found online. But somehow I was persuaded to sign up for a year of weekly training sessions. Let's face it, I'm a sucker for flattery and the guy who signed me up said I looked 25. It's more expensive than I probably should be paying at this point in my life, but let me tell you something - It's been worth EVERY. SINGLE. PENNY.

I've dropped body fat. I've built muscle. I mean, HONESTLY built muscle that I can feel in my arms and legs!! For a very big girl like me, that's amazing! He has motivated me so much. He's pushed me further than I would have pushed myself, but made sure that I have had fun and been safe in the process.

This past week was my last session with the trainer I've been with since June because he's going on to bigger and better things, and I'm starting with someone new, but I know that the new trainer will push me even more, and I can't wait!!

So yes... if you can afford it, get a trainer!
  • TXGirl821
    Options
    Look at me. My PT did that. Well worth it. :love: Oh, and he is a HOT fitness model too.

With regards cost, yes it can work out expensive, but I figured that my life was worth it - In January I was contemplating using crutches or motorised wheelchairs to get about due to me needing a knee replacement. I am a new woman and not a walking aid in sight!

You're amazing!! That's totally inspirational :)
  • nataliexxxx
    Options
    Depends because if you know what workout to do and can do it yourself without needing motivation from others then you dont really need one, at my gym you can ask the people who work there for a fitness plan and they will write you one out and show you what to do once and then the next times you do it alone, they might do this at a gym near you if you ask:)
    If I could afford one I would get one though
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Why do trainers lock you into contracts? Couldn't more flexibility around arrangements potentially mean more of a different kind of business?

A one-off 'intro to form' + program design session & maybe some reading recommendations would be well worthwhile. Maybe a check-in every couple of months, as needed (again, on a one-off basis).

I wouldn't pay for ongoing sessions.

I think it's more the club than the individual trainer. We do some similar things, but offer training in smaller packages as well.

Many of our members know they want to work with a trainer on a long-term basis, either 2 or 3 times per week. If they are willing to purchase 6 months or 12 months worth of sessions upfront, they not only get an additional 10% the lowest price per visit we offer, we waive their monthly dues. It's a win-win--the member (who would have purchased the sessons anyway) gets a great deal, and we get a good chunk of $$ upfront.

We also offer single sessions, 6-, and 10-visit packages, as well as other training/membership packages for those who don't want to buy 52 sessions up front. That way everyone has options.

That's smart (and fair!). It's a real shame that more gyms aren't run that way. Access to fitness improves quality of life in countless ways, and good, safe, effective instruction isn't always available at more affordable gyms. I guess that's not always what less stand-up owners might think about first, but, liability issues aside, why would anyone get involved in fitness if they didn't care about health? Plus, in this economy, not a bad idea to widen the demographic a bit, I`d think.

Even in terms of membership - one-month options are available, but they're often the most expensive. Some kind of discount on those (e.g., 20% off the third month in a year) would be good too. Community centres sometimes offer this sort of thing but aren't always equipped with basic strength equipment.

But I digress. Even for a self-motivated person, it takes time to learn just basic fitness principles, never mind enough to customize a program for specific goals. And it's easy to waste time or hurt yourself. Quality training absolutely has value.
  • prettyfitchick
    prettyfitchick Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Whats a resoanble prices to pay for a pt ?? I am thning paying per session would be the best option for me
  • MandyJokl
    MandyJokl Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I thought I would never use a trainer but my friend used one for a few months and she recommended him. You can pay for one session at a time when you want one or pay for four up front and get the fifth one free.

He has taught me different routines to do in the gym that I would never have worked out for myself. I get different routines every week and I get weighed every week and get my muscle fat and water levels measured. My weight loss has slowed a little but my body shape has changed and I dropped a dress size very quickly. I have had five sessions so far and I intend to keep having a weekly session for a few more months. I still have over 8 stone to lose.
  • wazzanz
    Options
    Depends on what you want to do. To get you set up with a weights programme and nutritional advise a good one well worth it.

Just as a motivator you can't go past gym classes. I've rejoined a gym after 5 years. Had never done classes before (excpet spinning) and doing them now and loving it. Some take a while to get into the swing but once you learn the moves a great all over cardio workout! Much better than slugging it out on the rowing machine, treadmill or bike machine.

If your gym offers classes then chances are you are paying for them. Go to the back of the room and no one will see you and to be fair no one gives a **** if you out of time anyway.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I'm a power plate personal trainer and my clients get a brilliant workout from me..I've been called an evil ***** on more than one occasion :wink:
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Mine is awesome. He has helped me lose 87 lbs and when I went to him in march and told him I wanted to start lifting more....he couldn't have been happier lol. (that's his strength haha) we worked out every other day for about 6 mo. Due to conflicting schedules now we work out together very rarely. But I can do it without him now. That's why makes a good trainer. Kinda like a teacher, if you can only do the work while your in the class with them, does that really teach you anything? Lol. He was the first person I sent the message when I finally got under 200 this week. When he started working out with me I weighed 288 lbs, couldn't run for a full minute, couldn't bench the bar.....it was said....now I can run for 45 mins non stop, and can bench the bar with 45's and 25's on each side :)
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    I would say that PT can be very helpful for some but a waste of time for others. I personally have seen some great results. I was / am an endurance athlete . I read all of the books, magazines, tips from others ect. It was not until finally that I got hooked up with a couple of PT's and they were able to guide me through a program that I was able to see noticeable size. Everyone is different so I always give the opinion to go ahead and get a some sessions (and more then just a few...PT's need more then that to really do any good. Took me 60 sessions @ $50 per but it was worth it in my opinion) and see what they can do for you. My sessions were a life long investment because now I just carry over their teachings to do my own work on the gym floor.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    I would say that PT can be very helpful for some but a waste of time for others. I personally have seen some great results. I was / am an endurance athlete . I read all of the books, magazines, tips from others ect. It was not until finally that I got hooked up with a couple of PT's and they were able to guide me through a program that I was able to see noticeable size. Everyone is different so I always give the opinion to go ahead and get a some sessions (and more then just a few...PT's need more then that to really do any good. Took me 60 sessions @ $50 per but it was worth it in my opinion) and see what they can do for you. My sessions were a life long investment because now I just carry over their teachings to do my own work on the gym floor.

And to also add they will teach proper technique on the different lifts. Cuz lets face it.....all of us have seen poor technique esp from the guys. That guy who is trying to military press that 185 but is leaned back so much in the rack / seat that he might as well be doing inclined bench press.