Olive Oil-is it worth it?

Options
2»

Replies

• slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    On a random note, olive oil is great for the skin! My complexion is so much better since using it
  • careyannal
    Options
    Thanks for bringing this to my attention! I will definetly start measuring my olive oil from now on when I roast veggies. I've just been sprinkling it on the pan.... yikes! :ohwell:
  • auntiemsgr8
    auntiemsgr8 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    In my experience is a big yes. Since I switched only to olive oil extra virgin (and when possible not filtered) and in general a healthy diet my blood tests are perfect. Previously I had high cholesterol etc.

I use Olive oil almost exclusively but had not heard about filtered or non. What is the difference? I may also try the coconut and rapseed as additional options.
  • obrendao
    Options
    Olive oil has HDL. HDL carries excess cholesterol back to the liver for reprocessing, lower blood levels of cholesterol. It will mitigate the effects of LDLs (bad fats) in a sense. High levels of HDL usually indicate lower levels of triglycerides and LDLs. This is what your doc likes to see, because he believes that excess serum LDLs and triglycerides are VERY bad because they contribute to blood vessel damage and hardening of the arteries.

If you spent your life eating fats that are solid at room temp, and replace them with oils such as EVOO, then you have done yourself a favor.

We all need fat in order to live, and carry out our metabolic processes, and olive oil is one of the best ways to go.
  • LupaNera
    Options
    In my experience is a big yes. Since I switched only to olive oil extra virgin (and when possible not filtered) and in general a healthy diet my blood tests are perfect. Previously I had high cholesterol etc.

I use Olive oil almost exclusively but had not heard about filtered or non. What is the difference? I may also try the coconut and rapseed as additional options.
    I currently live more or less in Italy and still learning. There are many types of olive oil. The one that is unfiltered has also some fiber and some deposits of olives. It is the type that is less processed. I also learned to stay away from everything that is not cold pressed.
  • You don't need to use an entire tablespoon! I always measure it out and I use 1-2 TEASPOONS at the most for sauteeing veggies or cooking meats. Nothing is good to just " open and pour" except for plain ol' water! ;)
  • lauras777
    lauras777 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I love olive oil, but yes, it is high in calories...try getting a "Misto" you can pick one up at most housewares stores (Bed bath and Beyond) etc., it allows you to use your own olive oil, and mist it on rather than pour it out which can help you to use much less and still coat your pan/food.

:smile:
  • emsicle_o
    emsicle_o Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'd say olive oil (or flaxseed or rapeseed) are far better than vegetable or sunflower oils. If you're worried about how much you use, buy a spray bottle from a garden centre or hair dressers and fill it with your oil. Much cheaper than those rip off sprays in the supermarket
  • Struckhoff
    Struckhoff Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    When they say that olive oil isn't bad for you, they mean that it's lower in cholesterol and bad fats than other oils, and therefore a healthier choice. They don't mean it's a good diet food-- All fats are very high in calories. The idea behind switching to olive oil should still be to keep your intake low, which means counting it against your calorie intake. It's definitely not a "free" diet food.
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I cook with olive oil every day.

You'll notice my ticker says "48lbs lost"

:-) X X X