tilapia!?!

Options
sexygenius
sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
i have some tilapia fillets in the frig. does any one have a good low calorie recipe?

Replies

• McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Easiest way to make tilapia is to season and broil it.....I like mine spicy so I sprinkle a little cumin, cayenne, garlic salt and black pepper and broil for about 5-10 minutes. I'm sure this would be good with lemon pepper too, just depends on your preference. Also, tilapia makes good fish tacos, just season and sautee in a little olive oil, break into pieces and serve in tortillas with cilantro, onion, avocado, etc. Tilapia is so versatile, you can do just about anything with it!
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    thank you for your suggestion:happy: i decided coat it in wheat germ, bread crumbs,and a canjun spice mix and then broil it, it came out really good!:happy:
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Easiest way to make tilapia is to season and broil it.....I like mine spicy so I sprinkle a little cumin, cayenne, garlic salt and black pepper and broil for about 5-10 minutes. I'm sure this would be good with lemon pepper too, just depends on your preference. Also, tilapia makes good fish tacos, just season and sautee in a little olive oil, break into pieces and serve in tortillas with cilantro, onion, avocado, etc. Tilapia is so versatile, you can do just about anything with it!

Totally Ditto. You took all the words out of my mouth. Lemon pepper and some garlic salt and bake or broil is awesome!
  • McFatterton
    Options
    thank you for your suggestion:happy: i decided coat it in wheat germ, bread crumbs,and a canjun spice mix and then broil it, it came out really good!:happy:

That does sound good! Glad it worked out for you :happy:
  • Reeder
    Reeder Posts: 20
    Options
    I do the lemon and pepper too, and I bake it. I also do Lawry's season salt and bake. I will try some new things with it in the future because I eat alot of Tilapia.
  • pjam2009
    Options
    I like to cook extra Tilapia for a late night snack that can be heated in microwave. This helps me to keep the protein up, carbs down and the weight off.
  • McFatterton
    Options
    I like to cook extra Tilapia for a late night snack that can be heated in microwave. This helps me to keep the protein up, carbs down and the weight off.

Really? More power to ya! The thought of re-heated fish makes me nauseous! :sick:
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I like to put a little salsa on top and bake it, it's really good. Lemon pepper is yummy too
  • MPH2
    MPH2 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Season fish with salt and pepper, place inside foil packet. Add juice of lime, some sliced onion, fresh chopped cilantro, and a pat of butter or olive oil. Seal packet put in oven at 350 for about 20 minutes.

This basic technique can be used with any number of ingredients try chopped tomatos, capers or olives.

Oh yeah discard onions before serving, they add flavor to the fish but the fish adds flavor to the onion as well, and really who wants fish flavored onion. :wink:
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Sprinkle with a bit of Old Bay season, sear in a little bit of hot olive oil, about a minute on each side. Delicious, healthy and quick.
  • Redneckwoman
    Redneckwoman Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Thanks I need recipes for tialpia
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    bbq mango tilapia (from hungry girl cookbook)

two 4.5 oz fillets raw tilapia
    1/4 cup canned diced tomatoes, drained
    1/4 cup diced mango
    1/4 cup canned tomato sauce
    2 TBSP mango nectar
    2 Tbsp ketchup
    2 tsp brown sugar ( not packed)
    2 tsp cidar vinegar
    1 tsp molasses
    1/2 tsp garlic powder

In a med. bowl, combine tomatoe sauce, mango nectar, ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, molasses, and garlic powder. Mix well and then stir in diced tomatoes and mango .
    Place fish and sauce in a container and toss to coat.
    Cover and let marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes
    Preheat oven to 375
    Spray a medium oven safe baking dish with nonstick spray. Transfer sauce and fish to the dish .
    Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, until fish is cooked through
    Plate tilapia and top with any excess sauce. ENJOY!!

Makes 2 servings
    Per serving(1/2 of receipe) 197 calories, 2.5g fat, 500mg sodium, 18g carbs, 1g fiber, 15g sugars, 26.5g protein
  • tattoodfreek
    tattoodfreek Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I like to put a little salsa on top and bake it, it's really good. Lemon pepper is yummy too

I do this too, but what I really like is to use a mango and peach salsa. Makes it sweet and delish, as long as you can afford the fruit sugars! I also like to top it with salsa verde.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I always see the bags of frozen tilapia at the store. Do they taste just as good as the fresh filets? Close enough??
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    I always see the bags of frozen tilapia at the store. Do they taste just as good as the fresh filets? Close enough??
    i buy the frozen ones they do taste good .... this is the only fish that i will eat so that must say something LOL
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    i buy the frozen ones they do taste good .... this is the only fish that i will eat so that must say something LOL

Its pretty much the only fish I eat also besides seared ahi.
  • tattoodfreek
    tattoodfreek Posts: 520 Member
    Options

Most of the time what you're seeing in the grocery store has been frozen at some point anyway, whether it be during trucking or during storage at the store. That said, if you can find TRULY fresh tilapia, I do think there is a difference. I personally am not a fan of any of the fish that has been flash frozen. I think that tastes different as well.
  • 50by50
    50by50 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am not a seafood person and I love Tilapia. I also bake with small amount of butter and lemon pepper. If you put the left overs in the plastic wrap that is sticky you can microwave it in a heartbeat and have it again for lunch. Don't overheat though or it will get really tough.
  • tmleymek
    Options
    I rub the fish with balsamic viegar, black pepper and italian seasoning.
    Then saute with a 1/2tsp oilve oil
    Serve with a salad of grapefruit, spinach, snap peas, and jicima tossed with a little balsamic and olive oil

Nice and light and you can work it into the Zone ratio easily
  • BMAJK
    BMAJK Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    awesome recipe ideas everyone!

We really like to slice up lemons, limes and oranges then bake it.