calorie intake lower than BMR?

Options
MFP calculated my recommended calorie intake as 1200 calories/day but my BMR is 1475..isn't that unhealthy? recommending I eat almost 300 calories less than my body needs to function? so confused..can anyone explain the logic behind that? i exercise alot, like 4-5 days a week - play hockey, soccer, do boxing along with gym workouts so surely 1200 is a tad low

Replies

• shivaslives
    shivaslives Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    In order to lose weight, you have to burn more calories than take in. Your body will pull the additional calories it needs from your reserves (burn off fat).
  • tkavanagh
    Options
    I am also interested in this I have calculated mine and it states that my BMR is 2110... I have registered for 1300 calories a day. From tomorrow I think I will up this as I have struggeld to stick to 1300...
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be eating below your BMR and not above your TDEE in order to lose fat (as long as you've calculated your numbers correctly based upon your daily movements). Personally I think MFP's suggested calories are too low so I set my calories myself that is between my BMR & TDEE. You'll want to recalculate this and adjust though for every 5-10 pounds lost/gained.
  • tkavanagh
    Options
    My BMR 2110 and TDEE is 2173. I am 5 ft 4.5 inches and weigh 135.3 lbs, can anyone help me as to how many calories I should be eating to help me lose the lb's?
  • TheChangingMan
    TheChangingMan Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    MFP calculated my recommended calorie intake as 1200 calories/day but my BMR is 1475..isn't that unhealthy? recommending I eat almost 300 calories less than my body needs to function? so confused..can anyone explain the logic behind that? i exercise alot, like 4-5 days a week - play hockey, soccer, do boxing along with gym workouts so surely 1200 is a tad low

Firstly, I agree that 1200 is too low; you should be eating above your BMR. Have a look at http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ to see what a 20% cut on your TDEE would be.

Secondly, remember that MFP's recommendation is for /net/ calories. Are you recording your exercise? And then eating back calories?
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    MFP's calculation is only as good as the info you gave it. If you are within 10 lb of your goal then you should select 0.5 lb a week loss.
    Where you accurate with your activity level when you set up your account? If you are more active then you stated then you will get a lower number as well. If you want to check you numbers follow the link below - Helloitsdan has explained in detail how to find BMR and TDEE and how to set your account up so your target is 20% less than you TDEE. This will allow you to lose consistently in a healthy manner.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

If you use this method then your exercise if already included as well as your cut. You will have a bigger deficit on work out days but you will have a smaller deficit on recovery/repair days. Some find it easier to have a single target number with no need to chase after your exercise cals. The only time you would add calories following exercise is if you did something above and beyond your usual - like that 50 mile fundraiser bikeathon, 30 mile weekend backpack trip etc!
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    My BMR 2110 and TDEE is 2173. I am 5 ft 4.5 inches and weigh 135.3 lbs, can anyone help me as to how many calories I should be eating to help me lose the lb's?

i'd check your calculations. BMR seems WAY high. I'm 5'5, 181lbs and mine is 1550. I would expect yours to be around 1400.

eat between 1400-2173 to lose. You don't have much to lose @ 135lbs so a deficit of 250-500 cals from 2173 should be enough, for a loss of 0.5-1lb per week.
  • tkavanagh
    Options
    Okay I just used a different calculator, my BMR is 1408. So is it safe to say I can eat over this? I'm going to bump my calories up tomorrow as it's a new week.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    MFP's calculation is only as good as the info you gave it. If you are within 10 lb of your goal then you should select 0.5 lb a week loss.
    Where you accurate with your activity level when you set up your account? If you are more active then you stated then you will get a lower number as well. If you want to check you numbers follow the link below - Helloitsdan has explained in detail how to find BMR and TDEE and how to set your account up so your target is 20% less than you TDEE. This will allow you to lose consistently in a healthy manner.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

If you use this method then your exercise if already included as well as your cut. You will have a bigger deficit on work out days but you will have a smaller deficit on recovery/repair days. Some find it easier to have a single target number with no need to chase after your exercise cals. The only time you would add calories following exercise is if you did something above and beyond your usual - like that 50 mile fundraiser bikeathon, 30 mile weekend backpack trip etc!

Props!

Id also like to add that my method is easier because you can pre log your food the night before since you know exactly how much to eat every day.
    Makes life easier!
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Okay I just used a different calculator, my BMR is 1408. So is it safe to say I can eat over this? I'm going to bump my calories up tomorrow as it's a new week.

That sounds more like it! If you know your body fat %, the one on www.fat2fitradio.com is most accurate (katch mcardle).
    If you eat above 1408 / below 2173 you will lose.
    A 10-20% deficit from tdee is recommended for a healthy rate of loss.