STOP DRINKING WATER!

Options
Okay, Now after watching this I am extremely confused and worried! All I drink is water, i have the odd cup of coffee with skimmed milk but I don't drink juice...only water!
What do you guys think??
http://www.drberg.com/blogpost/The-Drink-More-Water-Myth

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Okay, Now after watching this I am extremely confused and worried! All I drink is water, i have the odd cup of coffee with skimmed milk but I don't drink juice...only water!
    What do you guys think??

If you got STOP DRINKING WATER from that video, I'd suggest you watch it again. EDIT: No offense.
  • YUMMY45
    Options
    Water is needed and should never leave any diet or routine lifestyle
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Well, he's trying to sell his cranberry juice, so of course he's going to be recommending adding something to water. :-)

Having said that, a lot of what he says is correct. It is possible to die from drinking too much water. And strictly speaking, yes, the body is 60% fluid, because of course it's water mixed with other stuff. We don't have a separate compartment of pure spring water taking up 60% of our body!

But it doesn't mean you should stop drinking water. You don't need to add electrolytes to your water - you get electrolytes from your food. He's kind of twisting the facts to you get you to buy his cranberry juice! But on the other hand, it's okay to drink water with things added. Your body needs fluid, rather than specifically pure water. When it's in your body, it's no longer pure water, but added to other things, including whatever food you eat. Personally, I love drinking water by itself, so I will continue. I don't think I'm in danger of drinking so much that I drown my brain!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    While there is some truth in what he's saying (the 8 glasses a day myth) he's completely wrong when he suggests always adding electrolytes to water. You can obtain all of the sodium, potassium etc you need from dietary sources, the only exception that comes to mind would be endurance athletes - the whole electrolyte replacement idea was invented by sports drink makers to sell more of their products and he grossly oversimplifies hyponatremia, you need to consume massive amounts of water in combination with losing a lot of electrolytes through perspiration to worry about this.

He's a chiroquackter selling supplements.....what a surprise (a less qualified Dr Oz?)
  • feathertouch
    feathertouch Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    i didn't get stop drinking water from that, I only put that as a title to get people's attention to this video. It was the disease bit that caught me off guard but I'm not overly worried.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    While there is some truth in what he's saying (the 8 glasses a day myth) he's completely wrong when he suggests always adding electrolytes to water. You can obtain all of the sodium, potassium etc you need from dietary sources, the only exception that comes to mind would be endurance athletes - the whole electrolyte replacement idea was invented by sports drink makers to sell more of their products and he grossly oversimplifies hyponatremia, you need to consume massive amounts of water in combination with losing a lot of electrolytes through perspiration to worry about this.

He's a chiroquackter selling supplements.....what a surprise (a less qualified Dr Oz?)

^ Good post.

I went and checked out some of his other stuff and was disappointed. It gets more bro-tastic from there...
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    It was the disease bit that caught me off guard but I'm not overly worried.
    I guess you're talking about hyponatremia. Read BrianSharpe's post again or google hyponatremia to find out more for yourself.

I find the doctors commentary to be odd.
    "YOU COULD DIE FROM DRINKING TOO MUCH WATER. YOU"LL DIE I TELL YOU"
    Technically, he's correct. However the probability of death from over consumption of water is miniscule. Hardly worth mentioning.

Please. Give it a rest.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    My daughter has kidney reflux and her urologist has her drink to urine color, not by thirst or quantity.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    For your own good, also stop eating bananas. Water and bananas. That **** can kill you.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    All the years of drinking water and eating junk have left me in poor health. I'm cutting out the water. Thanks for this.
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Please people take some time and do some real research!

Double_Facepalm.jpg
    Doh.jpg
  • RickBriggs
    Options
    Too much water dilutes your digestion to the point that you're not absorbing the nutrients that you need especially with calorie restriction. Drink when you're thirsty, when your brain and body are telling you to.
  • zechks
    zechks Posts: 224
    Options
    What do you guys think??

Stick to the basics. Drink water. Lots of it. :)
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    What do you guys think??

I wouldn't listen to some random *doctor* who has written a blog post...you need to get info like that from a trusted source who knows YOU.

I have a history of kidney stones, and I DO have a urologist that I see regularly. After my 3rd stone in 10 years, he got serious about finding out WHY I was creating these stones. After doing a 48 hour urine collection he told me that my stones were caused by chronic dehydration ( I was only drinking like 4 glasses of fluids a day...) and low potassium. He prescribed a potassium supplement daily AND....4L MINIMUM of fluids daily.

I asked him about the "8 glasses a day" controversy, and he says that although you *can* get some of your fluids from foods, it is a good general rule to still drink 64oz (or more) daily of non-caffeinated beverages. I also asked him about the possibility of drinking too much water and making yourself sick. He said that for every ONE person he sees with "water poisoning" he sees HUNDREDS who are chronically dehydrated.
  • katymcd81
    katymcd81 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Too much water dilutes your digestion to the point that you're not absorbing the nutrients that you need especially with calorie restriction. Drink when you're thirsty, when your brain and body are telling you to.

:noway: What?? Where are you getting that from? Water does not dilute your digestion and it is certainly not a cause of malnutrition or malabsorption. Water is good for your digestion. 'Too much' in this context would be a ridiculously large volume, in which case you would have bigger problems than 'diluted digestion'.

If I drank only when I was thirsty, I'd be ill. I have to force myself to drink enough. As a PP said, I go by urine colour...pale straw colour. Any darker, and I know I need to drink more.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

:noway: What?? Where are you getting that from? Water does not dilute your digestion and it is certainly not a cause of malnutrition or malabsorption. Water is good for your digestion. 'Too much' in this context would be a ridiculously large volume, in which case you would have bigger problems than 'diluted digestion'.

If I drank only when I was thirsty, I'd be ill. I have to force myself to drink enough. As a PP said, I go by urine colour...pale straw colour. Any darker, and I know I need to drink more.

^^ This

Feeling thirsty means you are already dehydrated - so that is not a good rule to go by at all. I sip water all day long and tend to also check my urine - a little weird but it is true that this is the best way to guage your water intake, and after a while you'll know how much water you need on an average day.
  • metalvegan
    metalvegan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I always drink MORE than 8 glasses of water a day. Some days I hit 20+. I also have super high good cholesterol levels and extremely low bad cholesterol. My heart rate is ideal and my blood pressure is perfect. My nutrients are entirely balanced even though some days I might drink a full GALLON of water. Basically, I am almost the epitome of good health (not to brag or anything :laugh: ). Whoever tells you water is bad is lying, mistaken, or selling you something.
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    There was something I read not long ago about a woman who died from drinking too much water but the issue was that she drank too much in a short period of time w/o going to the bathroom. Something about "Hold your wee for a Wii" contest. It's rare but you can die from too much water consumption. I drink about 64-80oz a day w/o issue.. except with coffee in the morning means frequent bathroom trips.
  • phoenyxneko
    phoenyxneko Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So water intake should be determind from your urine?
  • JLD81
    JLD81 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Your body does not tell you are thirsty either 1.)until you are already dehydrated or 2.) until you are already getting enough water.

And in order to drink too much water for your body, you have to not only drink large quantities of water, but you also have to drink the water faster than your body can flush it out.

Yes, cranberry juice is good for the body. Yes you need electrolytes. Cranberry juice is also a diuretic, fyi, which will increase your water needs ;P I drink cranberry juice and lemon juice mixed in with tea in the morning in order to help flush my body if I am having water retention.

Water is important and it is necessary. This guy is scary because he is only telling PART of the WHOLE story.