How to bring others on the journey with you?

Options
Id quite like to see my younger sister lose some of her flab too, shes already very pretty but with quite a big belly. How do I get her to get motivated with me?

Replies

• grimsin
    grimsin Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I stopped trying to get people to lose weight with me, I get met with attitude everytime I try. maybe for your sister you could tell her you need someone to work out with, get her a gym membership with you, tell her you need her for motivation to lose your own weight?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    by example only. saying anything may come across as hurtful
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I haven't been discussing my new lifestyle with anyone other than my real-life weight loss partner, my brother. I'd love my husband to get on board but unless he brings it up, we don't talk about it. I know I always felt irritated and insulted when coworkers or friends started a fitness or weight loss program and heavily recruited me. At least my husband sees what I'm doing and sees the results and if he ever decides to try, I'm ready and willing to help!
  • doxielvr
    Options
    I wondered the same. When someone would complain about feeling bad or being overweight, I would offer advice and sometimes people get offensive. My husband told me all they hear is what they are doing is wrong and get offended. While they might be doing wrong by a healthy lifestyle they do not want to hear it. My sister is 16 years younger than me and is bigger than I have ever been. I gripe to her, out of love, but it does not help. People will only make the change when they are ready. I just try to set a good example because even if people do not say anything they are still watching what you do. Hopefully, they will come around one day!
  • LuckyCheryl
    LuckyCheryl Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Great topic

I have tried for many years to help my husband turn the corner and concentrate on his health to no avail. This type of journey and many others are personal and must come from within.

He has told me that he doesn't mind me talking about it and has found that he is eating healthier as a result as the kitchen is stocked with mostly healthy foods. He must go out and buy the junk food he wishes to eat. This trickle down effect has also hit my girls (they still live at home while going to the University). Same rule for them, if they want junk they must go out and buy it!

I feel as the others, your example will be a source for them to experience how the process works which in turn (we hope) might inspire them to start a journey of their own.

Good Luck with your journey :smile:

Cheryl
  • MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    just lead by example:)

I started this totally in secret - after about 6 weeks I told my husband as he does the cooking & shopping LOL. He really needs to lose weight too, but isn't ready to admit it. I'm sure he thought it was another fad/phase that I would get bored of soon enough, but after a while of me eating smaller portions and refusing chocolate each night, he came on board enough to cook less and tempt me less often....

About 6 months in to my weight loss journey, when it was REALLY obviously working, he started thinking about the food he was eating too - taking smaller portions and cutting down on the unhealthy late night snacks. He's lost 10kg so far pretty much just by going along with my food choices.

Last month I was absolutely gob-smacked when my 12 year old autistic son asked if I would take him running with me. He hates the outside and hates exercise/the feeling of being sweaty so this was an amazing thing for him to ask. He is overweight and we have discussed the health aspects with him, but I think he needed to see the results on me before he understood the cause/effect.

I have taken him out for a run 4 times now. Of all my NSVs this has been my biggest, my proudest and my most amazing:) I am so motivated to keep up my own exercise so that I can help him and my other children be healthy individuals.
  • 60x60
    60x60 Posts: 75 Member
    Options

Last month I was absolutely gob-smacked when my 12 year old autistic son asked if I would take him running with me. He hates the outside and hates exercise/the feeling of being sweaty so this was an amazing thing for him to ask. He is overweight and we have discussed the health aspects with him, but I think he needed to see the results on me before he understood the cause/effect.

I have taken him out for a run 4 times now. Of all my NSVs this has been my biggest, my proudest and my most amazing:) I am so motivated to keep up my own exercise so that I can help him and my other children be healthy individuals.

Wow! This is one of the biggest NSVs I have seen!
  • MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options

Wow! This is one of the biggest NSVs I have seen!

Thank you:smile: It's difficult to express how amazing an NSV it is unless you have some understanding of ASD children