I can't be this much fitter in 2 weeks???? Right!?

Options
Somebody please help!

I have been exercising with a heart rate monitor for the last 2 weeks, but this week I've been working out like mad and haven't hit my Heart rate zone once!? I've pushed harder and still I can't reach the zone!!? I'm guessing I'm not that much fitter in the space of 2 weeks. I have a new Polar FT4. Any advice would be muchly appreciated! :frown:

Replies

• luluaddy
    Options
    I suggest working out one session with a trainer telling him/her what you heart rate goal is. If you don't have the means for that, try a particularly tough workout DVD like "30-day shred".

Sometimes folks think they are pushing themselves hard enough but actually need some outside motivation to really make them meet their potential.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    If it has a chest strap it may be loose and not recording accurately - try tightening it up.
    Did you change to an underwire or front zip/closure bra? The metal in them can interfere with the sensor.
  • ndwyer0910
    ndwyer0910 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I would say check your heart rate on your own. The old fashioned way by counting your heart beat and timing it and doing the math. This way you can see if your HRM is not working properly.
  • oklahomascott
    Options
    what kind of exercise are you doing?
  • ktied
    ktied Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have the PolarFT4 as well, Ive noticed the chest straps need to be tight, and sometimes it will slide a little over my bra, and it'll freak out. You just have to reposition it
  • fairyT83
    fairyT83 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've not changed type of bra, still my workout one, I've been doing zumba, aerobics, biking and a little kettle ball, I knew at some point I would have to up the anti to get into the 'zone' but can it be right after 2 weeks? I'm pushing myself as hard as I possibly can and last week i was getting upto about 146bpm now I can't seem to get past about 116bpm!?
  • fairyT83
    fairyT83 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have the PolarFT4 as well, Ive noticed the chest straps need to be tight, and sometimes it will slide a little over my bra, and it'll freak out. You just have to reposition it

I tightened it before my work out this morninging, I'll try it even tighter and see what happens :smile: . It's the second one I've had now I'm not having much luck!
  • dukslayer4051
    dukslayer4051 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    i had the same issue kinda. make sure ur settings are right and that ur not trying to achieve max hr. and make sure ur zone is right.

if that doesnt work, try wetting the electrodes where it measures ur hr before putting it on.
  • EdgyMcSterious
    Options
    Not being able to hit your max heart rate is a sign that you may be over trained. You might need some rest.

Question: Do you know your resting heart rate?

If you are doing heart rate training, it's important to know and track your resting heart rate. Take your heart rate every morning once you wake up while you're still in bed. This is your resting heart rate. If you notice that your resting heart rate has become elevated, it's a sign that you are over trained and your body needs some rest.

Another sign of being over trained is exactly what you described. So, lay off the intensity for a few days, get some rest and you'll come back stronger for it.
  • lombrica
    lombrica Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    Probably not... I'd look into changing the battery? Even if you just take the battery out and put it back in. You could also review the settings and make sure that you have them correct. Recently - I had to replace the battery in mine, when I put the new one in - the old settings all still showed, but the readings just seemed off. I reset it to incorrect ones, then put it back to the correct settings and the numbers look better again.

Also? Not saying this is your issue... but just sharing my own experience. Sometimes we think we are working at capacity and we aren't. I was working out and using my HRM's preset zones, etc. I didn't have an issue getting my HR up, in fact there were times when I was having it beep at me for having my HR up "too high." So - I tried to stay in the 142-160 range because that was predetermined for my age as where I should be for zones 2 & 3. Later? I did an Active Metabolic Assessment - to truly measure my VO2 Max, burn rates, percentage of carb vs fat burn, etc. What I found out? I was NOT working at the levels that I needed to be... at a HR of 167 I was burning 50% fat and 50% carbs... My new zones were set and a zone 1 is a HR of 157-167, zone 2 is 167-173, and zone 3 is 173-179. I thought that there was nooooo way - but low and behold, it's pretty darn accurate and I'm working out more efficiently than ever - when I retest, I can't wait to see the impact on my VO2 max! :) Anyway - all I'm saying is to NOT trust your HRM too much for zones set specifically to you - listen to your body and see how it reacts at different HR. Your body is actually pretty smaart with that.

One final thought? Have you looked at what an elliptical/bike/treadmill tells you your HR is and compare it to your HRM? I usually do that for my warm-up to make sure that they are registering the same HR within 1-2 bpm... :)
  • ktied
    Options

I tightened it before my work out this morninging, I'll try it even tighter and see what happens :smile: . It's the second one I've had now I'm not having much luck!

Hmm, also, the strap needs to be wiped down with a bit of water before you workout, so its wet when you put it on. I guess it helps with conductivity? i dunno, it says that in the directions. Also after workout, the battery needs to be removed and the straped rinsed really well, So that might be affecting it also? My HRM is usually spot on when i compare it to when i take my pulse manually.

You should be taking the battery out after every workout, and not putting in back in until your next workout
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Not being able to hit your max heart rate is a sign that you may be over trained. You might need some rest.

If you are doing heart rate training, it's important to know and track your resting heart rate. Take your heart rate every morning once you wake up while you're still in bed. This is your resting heart rate. If you notice that your resting heart rate has become elevated, it's a sign that you are over trained and your body needs some rest.

Another sign of being over trained is exactly what you described. So, lay off the intensity for a few days, get some rest and you'll come back stronger for it.

^^^^^^ something to consider ^^^^^^
  • CHN_
    CHN_ Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hmm, also, the strap needs to be wiped down with a bit of water before you workout, so its wet when you put it on. I guess it helps with conductivity? i dunno, it says that in the directions. Also after workout, the battery needs to be removed and the straped rinsed really well, So that might be affecting it also? My HRM is usually spot on when i compare it to when i take my pulse manually.

You should be taking the battery out after every workout, and not putting in back in until your next workout

I am guessing what she means is you need to take the sensor off the strap, then rinse and let it dry. And only have the sensor on when you train. The batteries can stay right where they are until you need to change them.
  • ktied
    Options

Unless I misunderstood her original post, it is not her max heart rate that she cant reach, she cant even get in the target zone, which is 55% of her MHR. usually around 130. If she cant even get her heart rate that high, it sounds like a technical problem. Though I agree, if she can't reach her max heart rate or resting heart rate is elevated, she is overtraining. That just doesn't sound like what she was describing to me.
  • ktied
    Options

I am guessing what she means is you need to take the sensor off the strap, then rinse and let it dry. And only have the sensor on when you train. The batteries can stay right where they are until you need to change them.

That is what I mean! Thanks :flowerforyou:
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    What has the weather been like in your area? this might sound like a strange question at first, but this is what I've noticed for ME. If it's stinking hot and/or humid, it takes very little effort for me to get my heart rate up, because I'm working harder to breathe. If the weather is cooler, it takes a lot more effort for me to get my heart rate up.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I own a polar FT4 and the only cardio that gets my heart up is running!!!
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    It took me a few months but the elliptical cant get mine up past 110 and thats a lot of effort. Running in HIIT gets me over 150 in under 2 minutes. Then I can walk for 5, run for 1, walk 5... rinse repeat and keep my HR up past 130.

My doc visit last week shocked my doc, I was 25lb down from 4 months ago and my resting HR was 51. The HIIT and hitting a heavy bag made the most difference as far as I can tell, followed by doing sets of heavy deadlifting and squats which also get my HR over 150 in a jiffy.

Hot weather can even make walking wind me, 95 degrees and 90% humidity just wrecks me.
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Are you taking any medications? My daughter takes a beta blocker for a heart condition, and it keeps her heart rate pretty low--even when she is working out hard.
  • seamonkey789
    Options
    My heart rate monitor wasn't reading correctly or sometimes not even picking it up no matter how much I tightened it. Amazon has some ultrasound gel you can put on the sensors. It picks it up as soon as I put it on now. You just have to make sure you wipe it down after each session