Need advice on going Sugar free/low sugar

Options
Should I cut out all sugar including natural sugar found in fruits vegetables dairy etc and what should I set my macros at?

Replies

• taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Why would you cut out ALL sugars?

:noway:
  • sionnain
    Options
    no. also sugar free foods are not good for you, they can still be high in fat and calories. and you want natural sugars. if you don't eat fruit you run the risk of being deficient in nutrients.
  • sandhillsmom
    sandhillsmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Natural sugars such as those found in dairy, fruits and some vegetables are acceptable sugars to include in your eating. The ones to avoid in order to have a low sugar eating plan are processed food items such anything in a box. Eating natural whole foods is balanced and sensible.
  • RancidPolecat2
    Options
    You simply can't cut all sugars, but I would recommend reducing your fructose intake as much as possible.

Cut all sodas, juices, frappuccinos, etc.
    Limit processed foods.
    Beware of low-fat foods (they usually have lots of sugar).

Fruits and vegetables are your friends. They have fiber and micronutrients.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I'm a diabetic and I have actually increased my sugars(I know Huh) I gave up added sugars I only eat natural sugars, honeys, stevia, raw sugar(for baking), I substitute apple sauce for some sugar and some fats.
  • Montanarush
    Options
    I wont tell you what to do, but I'll tell you what I do.I dont eat any refined, white anything. No sugar, no bread, no pasta, no potatoes. I eat fruit but only berries such as blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, all of these are low on the glycemic scale. I get most of my carbs from vegetables, fiber supplements, cheese,eggs, etc. I balance my meals 40% protein, 40% fat, 20% carbs or less if possible. Its medically sound because I've kept track of it with blood work and so on. My bad cholesterol is low, my good cholesterol is good. Also there are things like sugar free popsicles that I eat to quench my sweet tooth. Or Polaners sugar free jams and preserves. Very low in carbs, but sweet and good tasting.:smile: Hope this helped!!:smile:
  • jwolfe0709
    jwolfe0709 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else who has replied. The natural sugars found naturally in foods aren't bad for you. Definitely stay away from processed foods and make sure you check low-fat foods like Rancid said.

I would also caution you to research artificial sweeteners like aspartame and the like. Aspartame is the product of a Genetically Modified Organism (GMO). It is manufactured from the excrement (read: poop) of E. Coli bacteria. It is KNOWN to cause cancer in lab rats, as well as many other health problems.

I'd steer clear of the artificial sweeteners, and not be shy with the natural sugars!

I highly recommend doing some research on GMO's and Monsanto.
  • Genenecote
    Options
    For many people sugar is a very addictive drug. It was for me. I quit becaue I was in so much arthritic pain and desperate enough to try anything.. I think it is really important to be really clear on why you want to do this. It will help keep you on track.

I recommend reading Sugar Blues by William Duffy. You can get it for a couple of dollars from Amazon.

Giving up sugar was one of the most difficult things I have ever done, even with lots of motivation it took a long time. In tHe long run one of the best things I ever did. Here is how I did it:

1. Gave up white, processed sugar and foods that obviously were full of processed sugar like candy, ice cream, cookiss, pastry etc. this was very difficult and took quite some time. I would be "good" for days/weeks/months and then spectacularly binge. The trick was putting together more time between binges and getting back to abstaining as quickly as possible.

2. Gave up bown and raw sugar

3. Gave up sugar substitute products....used honey, molasses and maple syrup instead (at the time stevia and agave were not options, but if I were doing this now I would use them)

4. Use honey etc. once in a great while and sparingly! AND Started carefully reading labels to make sure I was not getting hidden sugar in my foods.

It has been over 30 yearss since I ate sugar. Every once in awhile I splurge or accidently get some in food. I always pay.
  • hunny73
    hunny73 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies. I think I will start with reducing my refined sugar intake to start with and take it from there. I have been struggling with making the right food choices recently and think it may have something to do with going way over my sugar allowance everyday.
  • jwolfe0709
    jwolfe0709 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    @ Hunny,

Keep your protein around 50% of your daily intake, and you should see a difference :)
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Should I cut out all sugar including natural sugar found in fruits vegetables dairy etc and what should I set my macros at?

I think you would be miserable trying to cut out ALL sources of sugar, both natural and artificial.

A smarter way to do things would be to make better choices, berries instead of apples or bananas. broccoli or cauliflower instead of corn, carrots or peas. google the GI index and follow it--the lower on the GI index it is, the less it impacts your insulin levels, therefor , the better for you it is.
  • Bookkeeper15
    Options
    totally agree with your philosphy!!!