Tips to avoid mindless snacking?

Options
2»

Replies

• pikselinka
    pikselinka Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Because of the same problem of snacking I had to throw away all the snacks and stop buying ANY. So I can't eat them even if I'd like and I got used to it.
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Sudoku....It works for me!
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Measure out the snack and put the rest away. Then go log the calories. This should help you decide if you really want the snack, and certainly if you can afford to get up again and refill the bowl. Logging each and every thing that I put in my mouth is what keeps me from mindless snacking.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I had that problem last night so I grabbed a bowl of watermelon I ended up eat 5 cup lol my gosh I was stuffed but it was watermelon! (I was watching tv) that was better than eating a whole bag of chips! My husband bought them home. Bad bad!
    That's so funny!

Yes, great tips in this thread.
    Gotta break this habit.
    You'll get this pattern interrupted, and eventually stop.

Definitely good to have some purposeful snacks around that are nourishing and fun to eat.
    I like to keep Power Crunch bars
    A serving of Tortilla chips broiled with 1-2T cheese
    A small salad can be a great snack...my fav is quartered mushrooms, chunked up avocado and a sprinkle of soy sauce.
    A serving of plain greek yogurt sweetened with stevia and topped with a little chocolate sauce is pretty yummy.

If anything, make your "snack" a little more interesting...then it won't be MINDLESS lol
  • cjvvus
    cjvvus Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I totally understand had the same problem with blue corn chips. Try measured portions in snack bags. When you head towards the box immediately think of another task you have to do. If you buy the cereal for you don't buy it anymore. Put a bowl of fruit out and when reaching for the cereal grab some fruit. You will find something that works for you and you will stop. Don't be discouraged.
  • openairhealth
    Options
    i like the idea someone suggested about leaving the room/temptation. just get out of there (out of sight, outta mind).

maybe get something frozen that you are forced to pace yourself with until you are full? frozen iceblocks are nice. i freeze vitamin juice (one cup at a time). you could freeze orange juice or something like that. just throw a cup in the freezer and tomorrow's craving is catered for.
  • Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    If cereal is your vice stop buying it and buy porridge instead.. Pretty hard to eat porridge straight out of the box lol

I really try not to buy snacks, I buy a small bag of nuts or fruit to curb my cravings although I caved in and bought a bag of babybels yesterday
  • jlsAhava
    jlsAhava Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I definitely recommend portioning out your snacks in advance. If cereal is your snack of choice, then keep single serving size portions at the ready so you can mindlessly grab one serving rather than mindlessly grabbing the whole box and who knows how many servings?! Even if you go back for a second helping, you'll be able to record it in your food log and modify the rest of your day accordingly.

I find that portioning out the servings in advance is especially helpful with things I would eat by the handful (and usually consider to be treats): pretzel M&Ms, plantain chips (YUM!), chocolate covered berries, etc. Instead of having an open bag from which I grab an unmeasured handful(or more), I just reach in and grab a plastic baggie with a single serving... Since I've prepackaged the food earlier, I don't have to exert much brain power when there isn't much brain power to be had. But I'm still able to mindfully include the items in my log.

Best of luck!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Prelog your food the day before and stick to it.

Also....dont do the 1200cal diet.
    =D
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Stay away from the kitchen! I try drinking water or green tea, and keeping my hands busy. Read, take a bath, go for a walk, exercise, play with pets, play a game, do a puzzle, paint your nails, etc. :)
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    Make this a hard rule: Log it BEFORE you eat it.

It will stop you or slow you down. And you can't log it if you don't measure it out. At least you be thinking about what you are eating and understanding a little of the consequences.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Eat a big satisfying meal so you don't have the urge to snack
  • DJ2120
    DJ2120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I'm printing out all the pages of suggestions! These are such great ones & I appreciate every single one! Thank you so, so much everyone! I truly mean that :smile:
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Snack size bags and small ziplock containers.
    When I get home from the grocery store, I'll take my favorite snacks out of their large containers and divide it up into the right portions. It really helps. My family hates it but at least it makes me accountable for what I'm eatting.:drinker:
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I'm printing out all the pages of suggestions! These are such great ones & I appreciate every single one! Thank you so, so much everyone! I truly mean that :smile:
    Very cool.
    I always think it's so nice when the OP thanks people for responding!
    Thanks for posting this....I enjoyed each response, too!