Larabar bites - 28 calories - 3 ingredients/pictures

Options

Replies

• nortx
    nortx Posts: 130
    Options
    They don't freeze solid. It;s like freezing dried cranberries or apricots.. they remain somewhat soft and chewy.
    Great, it sounds like you've tried it then. I'm more wondering about whether freezing ruins the taste or consistency. If they're in the freezer, even a little soft still, they would be less of a temptation. :wink:

No matter how long you freeze them, you just can't change delicious! Texture and flavor doesn't change. They are just too addictive.

Enjoy!:flowerforyou:
  • jms3533
    jms3533 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    These sound fantastic, thanks!
  • BrownEyedGrrl
    Options
    How many bites are made? How big are they? Golfball sized or smaller?

Sorry, I forgot to add in the number of bites this recipe makes. This recipe will make 41 - 1 teaspoon bites. Each bite is 28 calories.

Sorry I left that out.

:blushing:

Thanx! :happy: Definitely gonna try making these!
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Love it, thanks so much!
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I could see adding a little coconut water or coconut milk instead of coffee or plain water. I don't like dry coconut but the coconut water/milk would add the moisture and a little coconut flavor.
  • BettyIW
    BettyIW Posts: 103
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe! And this time I copied the recipe and saved it. Last time I saw a recipe I liked on MFP, I wrote down the list of ingredients to purchase thinking I would easily go back and find the recipe again. Not so. Never could find that recipe again....At least I have this recipe now whenever at my fingertips.

I love dates and nuts!

Thanks!
  • nortx
    Options
    I could see adding a little coconut water or coconut milk instead of coffee or plain water. I don't like dry coconut but the coconut water/milk would add the moisture and a little coconut flavor.

Yum.... that sounds great. I always find that I have to start with the minimum amount of liquid because sometimes it seems like the dates are drier or more moist than other times. That's why I don't have a hard and fast rule about the liquid. I just add the liquid until it "feels" right.

Let me know how the coconut water or milk turns out.

You can find this recipe on my MFP blog too: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/nortx

:flowerforyou:
  • strivingfor130
    strivingfor130 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • arrawyn79
    arrawyn79 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Since it's Fall (well, technically not yet) and one of my favourite things about Fall is Pumpkin Pie (yum!) i'm going to try adding a little bit of Pumpkin Pie Spice (along with some pepitas and cranberries) and see how that turns out...might be good, might be awful. will let you know! :)
  • nortx
    Options
    Since it's Fall (well, technically not yet) and one of my favourite things about Fall is Pumpkin Pie (yum!) i'm going to try adding a little bit of Pumpkin Pie Spice (along with some pepitas and cranberries) and see how that turns out...might be good, might be awful. will let you know! :)

Ohhhh my. That sounds wonderful. Yes, please let me know. That is something I would love to do. We are having guests for a few days in three weeks.... They all love Pumpkin. Thanks so much.
  • cassieSomething
    cassieSomething Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe and the pics too!:flowerforyou:

Just now checked out your blog... lots of great ideas in their as well, appreciate your sharing the healthified recipes with the rest of us!:drinker: :wink:
  • kellygirl324
    kellygirl324 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Bump for later! :-)
  • arrawyn79
    Options
    Okay so I just made a batch of these (only ended up with 30 and a half even though I used the amount in the recipe!)

and I added a small amount of dried cranberries along with 3/4 cup of almond, pecans and pepitas (and the dates)

and then i added a teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice! it doesn't taste QUITE like pumpkin pie (because there's no pumpkin lol) but its nice and I think it works. :). i ate the 1/2 piece (before sticking the rest in the freezer!) as a tester :D
  • nortx
    Options
    Okay so I just made a batch of these (only ended up with 30 and a half even though I used the amount in the recipe!)

and I added a small amount of dried cranberries along with 3/4 cup of almond, pecans and pepitas (and the dates)

and then i added a teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice! it doesn't taste QUITE like pumpkin pie (because there's no pumpkin lol) but its nice and I think it works. :). i ate the 1/2 piece (before sticking the rest in the freezer!) as a tester :D

I think the Pumpkin Pie spice is such a good idea. I picked up more dates, nuts, dried fruit and some different spices, because my whole stash of bites is gone!! Apparently, as my DH says, "These things go great with beer and guys and games on TV... is this all you have?"

:noway:
  • arrawyn79
    Options
    The last time I made something similar to this, the recipe called for orange zest (of one medium orange) and just almonds and dates, cinnamon, nutmeg, some cocoa powder and agave nectar as the sweetener. but the orange zest was so overpowering it was all you could taste! (which my husband liked and so he actually LIKED and ate a lot of them! (which surprised me lol)). I rolled half of them in unsweetened cocoa powder (the last recipe i made) and half in unsweetened coconut (hubby didn't like those ones lol). The cocoa powder ones were just like chewy chocolate orange sweet treats which my husband devoured (even though he's not a healthy eater and doesn't eat nuts (or dates!) :). If we had kids, these would be a great way to get healthy, energy-rich nutrition into them! :laugh:

And with your recipe, nortx, i rolled half in cocoa powder again (just for something different (chocolate pumpkin pie?? :)) and half I just left plain without any kind of coating.

But I definitely recommend the pumpkin pie spice! of course, amount of spice is something to play around with to personal taste :). It's goes nicely. You could probably come up with a 'range' of these 'Bites' - different flavours and ingredients (with the base of dates and nuts)....you could probably make money from them if you wanted! :)
  • BettyIW
    Options
    I just finished making my first batch of larabar bites. I did eat two before I put them in the freezer! However, I do not have a food processor and instead I used my blender. It didn't work as well as a food processor would have. I was only able to make 22 teaspoon size larabar bites out of this recipe. That's because I used a blender instead of a food processor? A little chunkier, I suppose? So each bite will have more calories??
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Look good? Thnx
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Oops. I meant. Lookg good!
  • BettyIW
    Options
    Too Good! The coffee flavor really comes through. My husband will love them! I find myself going to the freezer.........I've eaten four of them since I made them! YIKES...they are SO good. Thanks for the recipe.