Any one just packed up and moved far away ?

leanne9876
leanne9876 Posts: 301 Member
Anyone from NSW Aus ? Not really sure I should be posting this on this site as it's got nothing to do with weight loss but just after some info, opinions about people who have packed up and moved far away.

I guess it could apply to any one not just people in nsw but just wondering where do you live and how rent do you pay? Is there much work there?

Rent around here is terrible, cheapest is about $350 - $400 per week but I see the same kind of houses going for $230 - $300 p/w in other areas but it's up to 2-4 hours away from where I am now.

I want to move but I'm scared to take the plunge, I'd like to hear stories from both sides. From people who done it and loved it and from people who done it and regretted it.

Replies

• Hi! i move around a lot! i currently live in cambodia (phnom penh). lots o aussies here btw.
    i came to cambodia from nyc. and yes i literally just packed and had no idea how long i was going to be in asia for (with only $2000usd). Its was not my first time as i have spent 2 years back packing before and knew there were expat communities everywhere. i knew it would work out.
    Ive been here for over 3.5 years now. Rent is $550/month in a 4 bedroom 110m2 apartment, plus $150 utilities, $90 maid 3 times week, $220 nanny 5 days a week. im work in engineering/consuling. but to give you an idea for salaries teachers (english) make anywhere from $10/hour to $30/hour depending on qualifications and school. A 1 br flat can be around $150 here.(All in USD)

if just upping and leaving is too daunting, do some research. look up housing, work/job postings, etc. you can probably find a branch of australian business associations too. also, you should probably find out how strict the country is for visas (cambodia is one of the easiest, and the reason why the expat community is soooo large.

have fun and be adventurous!!

feel free to msg me ifyou have more questions.
    /maria
  • leanne9876
    leanne9876 Posts: 301 Member
    Thanks for the reply, wow that is a big move. I don't think I'll be leaving Australia I won't even be able to leave NSW lol
    I have 5 kids 3 in school and one starting next year and thats sort of holding me back a bit. I don't think it's fair to move them around to much but I never moved when I was growing up so I'm not sure what it would be like. I've had friends who have moved around some said it was fun and others said they hated it having to make new friends all the time.