ADVICE FROM RUNNERS, MARATHONERS &/OR 5K PARTICIPANTS!!!

Options

Replies

• Susann1963
    Susann1963 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Which c25k app do you guys recommend? When I look at it on my iphone there are several!
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I started walking at least a mile a day with my son in his stroller at the end of last year, I didn't start jogging at all until June of this year. I've gotten from a 60 minute 5k to a 42 minute 5k (all outdoors) in less than three months. I have just gotten out there 6-7 days a week and really just focused on keeping a comfortable, but mildly challenging pace, with practice I've continued to burn time off and improve consistent speed. I think your goal is more than attainable. Good luck!!! It is my goal to complete a 5k race by the end of 2012 and I hope to be at 33 minutes or better! Feel free to message or add me if you'd like to talk more?! (:
  • jerdh71
    Options
    I agee to get outside. I m a rookie jogger. I use to hate running. But when I get out and have new sights to see I do well. The hardest part for me is the first 1/4 mile and I believe its all mentall. I started telling my self I cant do this, my leg hurts whatever. Fight through it and just daydream. Think of great times with your child or a hobby you like anything but running and before you know it you ll realize you ve gone pretty far and feel good.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Get outside and run. Map out a 5k distance. Run what you can, walk the rest. Alternate run/walk if you can. Try to run a couple of minutes more each time.
    I've done the komen 5k in Boston. There are LOTS of people who walk the entire race. So even if you can't RUN the entire 5k, you can still complete it. There will be lots of others just like you. Just line up towards the back at the start of the race, don't get caught up in the excitement by running to fast at the start, run/walk as you are comfortable, and enjoy the experience.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Those sprints on the treadmill are not doing much to build your endurance. Slow it down to something approaching comfortable, run as far as you can, then walk for a minute or two to recover, then repeat for 3 miles. Do this 3 or 4 times a week and your endurance will quickly improve.
  • jimmeezwyf
    jimmeezwyf Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Which c25k app do you guys recommend? When I look at it on my iphone there are several!

I do the "RunDouble" app and I love it!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rundouble.companion&hl=en
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Check to see if there are any trainings for people doing that 5k run. Around here most of the times a athletics club will do some 'start to run' course or something similar specifically targeted to help people get ready for that race. It'll help getting the right warm up, stretches, form and cooling down.

During the race don't worry about your time (except for checking if there is a maximum time to finish), walk when you need to and cross the finish running.
  • saramariebabyy
    Options

i downloaded "c25k free". works like a charm.
  • cattasraafe
    cattasraafe Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If you are not already using the C25K program here is what I recommend: If you have a smartphone bring headphones and download the c25k app by RunDouble. I can not tell you how much I love that app. Use that app and if you have no smart phone download a program and write down the times in which you need to run and breakout the stopwatch. Also Runkeeper app is amazing for that day you want to go out and not worry about sticking to a program. Runkeeper just tracks your pace, distance, and time. I started running about a year and a half ago and I'm down to a maxium of 6 miles and my fasted 3 miles is 24 minutes. Anyone can run you just gotta keep applying yourself. Remember when you run do not run heel to toe specially over long distances. If you don't have a good fore or mid foot landing and you start doing that your calves are gonna be in a world of hurt. So please be careful when changing to that run style. Just send me a message if you have any questions or if I did not make sense somewhere.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

My daughter has asked me to participate in the Komen Oklahoma Race For the Cure 5K on October 27th. I have been working out consistently since January and have done well with consistency and weight loss. Twice a week I do sprints on my treadmill, which consist of running at a comfortable pace for 4 - 5 minutes, running at top speed for 15 seconds on then off for 4-5 minutes, then jogging at a comfortable pace for 4-5 minutes and finally finishing up with interval walk/runs. My intervals consist of jogging at a slightly uncomfortable pace for one minute then walking around 3 miles an hour for one minute. I usually do these workouts for 20-30 minutes and then do some form of aerobics (Zumba, etc.) for 40 minutes (not including warmup, cool down and stretching). Also, once a week I do an hour walk on the treadmill in which I slowly increase my incline until I'm at 6 or 7. On the other days of the week I do a Firm Express video that incorporates aerobics with weights and a Kettlebell workout. Sometimes I add a toning workout for abs, hips and thighs to mix things up.

I'm working on incorporating more clean, healthy foods into my diet. I drink approximately 120 ounces of water everyday and get at least 7 hours of sleep most nights.

MY QUESTION IS after reading what I am already doing how should I prepare for this 5K? At my best it takes me 55 minutes to walk/run/jog 3.10 miles. I would like to try to get that down to at least 48 minutes by October - I don't even know if this is possble (hence my post here). At this point I can only jog for about ten minutes straight at a time at somewhere between 3.5 - 3.8 miles an hour. I'd like to increase that. After pushing myself yesterday on the treadmill to see how fast I could complete a 5K I found that I really have very little endurance. After getting 2 miles done in 35 minutes I was spent! It took an extra 20 minutes to do the last 1.10 miles. My daughter wants to do the timed 5K, which I don't mind doing if I can increase my speed and endurance. Any advice?

H E L P! ! !

call me a snob if you like but as far as im concerned, running on a treadmill DOES NOT COUNT...get off the deadmill and start the c25k program and do it outdoors...you will be so much better prepared for your race, as that will be outdoors and NOT on a treadmill. It's fantastic that you have entered a great event and are working towards it..but yeah..GET OFF the deadmill.
  • nuffexercise2012
    Options
    You can't run a race on a treadmill. Get outside and log some miles in the great outdoors.

Running outside is different as you no longer have a belt driving you. By running outside you prepare for the elements of a road race.

Couch to 5k will get you where you need to be. But do try and do some of it out of doors.

Its even better if you can find a group or clinic to run with as this will keep you engaged and may provide some first hand coaching.

Good luck!

I agree with this
  • jimmeezwyf
    jimmeezwyf Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    You can't run a race on a treadmill. Get outside and log some miles in the great outdoors.

Running outside is different as you no longer have a belt driving you. By running outside you prepare for the elements of a road race.

Couch to 5k will get you where you need to be. But do try and do some of it out of doors.

Its even better if you can find a group or clinic to run with as this will keep you engaged and may provide some first hand coaching.

Good luck!

Great advice! 100% agree!

I agree with this
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    call me a snob if you like but as far as im concerned, running on a treadmill DOES NOT COUNT...get off the deadmill and start the c25k program and do it outdoors...you will be so much better prepared for your race, as that will be outdoors and NOT on a treadmill. It's fantastic that you have entered a great event and are working towards it..but yeah..GET OFF the deadmill.

Of course running on the treadmill counts. It's about 10% less heavy than running outside (which can be mostly offset by setting the treadmill to a small incline).

Yes, running outside will help prepare you for the race, but if you're not up for that yet build some stamina on the treadmill. If it's 189 degrees outside (or anything else that feels too hot), use the treadmill if you'd otherwise skip the run. If it's pouring with rain go run on the treadmill if you'd otherwise skip the run. Any exercise helps. (and running on the treadmill is slightly better for your knees as well)
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options

C25K Lite--it will play in the background and you can listen to music at the same time.
  • These advice above is so good... so I don't have to ad any... So well done and "STRONGS!!!!"....and enjoy every moment it is wonderful that you and your daughter has this to do together.... You will see later when you are fit and you 2 can run together it will give you such a sense of friendship and comrady...
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    First of all, get outside and run - it is totally different. You can use a couch to 5K program, or just do your own intervals. Don't worry about speed now - focus on endurance. Increase the running segments and the overall distance at an easy pace. The speed will come on its own.
  • MDeniseMur
    MDeniseMur Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You need to transfer from the treadmill to outdoors. If that isn't possible try to always have yout treadmill on an incline. Nothing wrong with even 1 percent. The couch to 5k program is great too. Don't focus on yout time but rather completing the race. Happy running.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I would run outside. It's more fun and actually easier. Tell yourself you are going to run 3.1 miles today with no stopping,at an easy pace. Don't go hard and try to enjoy your run. 90% of peoples troubles come with dreading their runs. You can do this. You are allready doing very well on the treadmill. It's time to go outside. :happy: Feel free to send me a friend request. ...Happy running!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Lots of folks swear by C25K, but I never tried it. I simply went OUTSIDE (get off that stinkin' treadmill ;-) ) and ran as far as I could without stopping and then used Mapmyrun.com to see how far I actually ran. I then would run that distance several times until it wasn't quite as hard, then I'd add a 1/4 or 1/2 mile. . . until that wasn't so hard then I'd add some more. I can't do the stop/start that C25K incorporates. But, it works for many. I only started running, at 39 5/6 years of age, in July of last year. I've run several 5k races, including the Warrior Dash last weekend and I've completed 1 half marathon and I'm prepping for one on 9/29. So, you got 6 weeks or so to make it happen. You CAN do it!!!

Oh. . .and get GOOD shoes from a running store. They ain't cheap, but your feet will thank you!
  • trinitylyons01
    trinitylyons01 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Thank you EVERYONE for your great advice! I truly appreciate it!

Also, just to clarify I ALWAYS have the treadmill on an incline - usually at least a 3% but sometimes higher. Plus, I live in Oklahoma City and I don't know if anyone has heard about our weather this summer but our temperatures have been well over 100 degrees - sometimes reaching 110 or higher - for the past several months. It's EXTREMELY hot outside, which is the main reason I've been sticking to running inside. I figured it's better to do something on a treadmill than not at all. I do agree, however, that I really need to see what it's like to run outside. So, I will definitely work on incorporating that into my routine. The good news is I checked the weather for this week and, right on schedule, our temperatures are beginning to drop. :happy:

In any event, this will be my second 5K but I walked the entire time in the first one. It actually took me over an hour to complete it. (I was 65 pounds heavier at the time so it was a struggle!) So, I'm really looking forward to running this one.

Thank you again for all the great advice! Also, you guys don't know how much you inspire me to keep going, losing weight and being a better version of myself! Good luck to all of you in your journeys!

I'll report back later about how it went!

OHHHH! One more thing! I went to a great running store. They checked my gait, arch, etc. and fitted me with a nice pair of Suacony running shoes! So I have the "good shoe" part covered! :laugh: