Staying healthy when working with small kids

Options
Anyone have tips (that work!) for reducing the number of colds you catch when you work with little ones? I teach preschool and can already have my first scratchy throat.:angry: I don't want to let getting sick get in the way of my workouts. I do the obvious things, like washing my hands often and not touching my face.

Replies

• AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I use antibacterial gel from a little spray bottle that I carry around and I don't even work with children. But I do take the bus and work in an office with people who have children and therefore seem to carry lots of germs (or at least are ill a lot). Making sure you get at least your recommended daily amount of vitamin C in your food is also crucial I think.

I hope your workplace also teaches the children to go wash their hands after they sneeze/cough into them and maintain a good level of hygiene. Your cleaning staff should also use antibacterial sprays on things like handles and taps.
  • NyimaR
    NyimaR Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I work with teenagers so have (slightly) lower risks. Try and keep generally healthy - good diet and exercise, and reduce stress as that can compromise your immune system. Apart from that, the more things your immune system is exposed to over time, the better it will get at responding to them so if you do go down sick just think of it as your immune system being in training for next time!
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I find taking a barleygrass or wheatgrass supplement really boosts my immune system. Plus getting plenty of sleep at night. And going to the sauna and steam room a couple of times a week - spend time in the sauna, have a cold shower, spend time in the steam room, have another cold shower.
  • jenniferstanton
    jenniferstanton Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I work with teenagers so have (slightly) lower risks. Try and keep generally healthy - good diet and exercise, and reduce stress as that can compromise your immune system. Apart from that, the more things your immune system is exposed to over time, the better it will get at responding to them so if you do go down sick just think of it as your immune system being in training for next time!

This! My first year teaching I was sick a lot. After 16 years I feel like I could lick the desks and not get sick.:smile: Just get good sleep, eat healthy and don't let the stress get to you. You just may need to get your immune sysytem used to your surroundings!
  • ShannonD13
    ShannonD13 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    This! My first year teaching I was sick a lot. After 16 years I feel like I could lick the desks and not get sick.:smile: Just get good sleep, eat healthy and don't let the stress get to you. You just may need to get your immune sysytem used to your surroundings!
    [/quote]

This is hilarious!!!! I am in a classroom and feel the same way. Stay clear of the desks of nosepickers!!