Jillian Michaels 30 day shred - are we allowed a day off?!!

Options

Replies

• PuggleLover
    PuggleLover Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I just started about 45 minutes ago. I'm 400lbs, and made it about.... 10 minutes in before I thought I was about to die.

You did a heck of a lot better than me. I said to myself - 20 minutes, I got this, no problem. I was checking the time at 3 minutes in! I made it to 5 minutes and I had to take a break. You should be proud of yourself. :)

PS - good for you for going back and finishing it!!

Edit: I did it 30 days non stop... lost 2.5 inches around my waist and 1 inch on my hips. I just wanted to see if I could do it. I am doing RI30 now with one scheduled rest day.
  • shardown
    shardown Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I did it Monday to Friday and on the weekend, I'd go to the gym on either Saturday or Sunday. I think your body needs a break but it really depends on how much you can do :)
  • petiteLady89
    petiteLady89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I'm going to do the 30 day shred in combination of her 6 week 6 pack for six weeks after I am done my current routine. I will have two days off each week.

I'm exercising six days a week right now and want to go down to five for a bit.
  • tamimac12
    Options
    I do this workout 3 days a week (every other day) and couch 25k 3 days a week (every other day) and take one day off where I just take a little walk... Right now I can't do c25k and 30DS on the same days. I also do Pilates once a week, but that's on a c25k day, or I skip 30DS depending on how hard we work
  • sjmiller3
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/322448-how-many-calories-does-30-day-shred-burn/?utm_source=RELARTICLES_R1

hope that helps clear things up as to where I get my information from! Not saying it's accurate or not. Just to clarify, you can burn 200-300 calories in 20-30 minutes on the elliptical or swimming, or doing just about any moderate-level physical activity. If it's less impact on someone who is still in the process of getting back into shape to do the elliptical, or go swimming and then ease into Jillian Michaels, then that's all I was trying to encourage. These work out videos make a lot of promises and then push people harder than their fitness level can take them and then they give up and continue to perpetuate the unhealthy cycle of lethargy that caused them to be overweight in the first place. As long as you're moving, you're becoming more fit and that is really the point isn't it? Eat less, move more, be patient, and stick with it.
  • Sarah777uk
    Options
    I did 30 day shred over 30 days without a break with good results. In fact I loved it so much I still do Level 3 every day! I have just started Ripped in 30 and I am combining Level 3 30DS and Ripped in 30. Doing one after the other on a daily basis. I have found that Ripped level 1 is just a little too easy after doing 30DS level 3 for so long.

It is true - listen to what your body wants :)
  • tamimac12
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/322448-how-many-calories-does-30-day-shred-burn/?utm_source=RELARTICLES_R1

hope that helps clear things up as to where I get my information from! Not saying it's accurate or not. Just to clarify, you can burn 200-300 calories in 20-30 minutes on the elliptical or swimming, or doing just about any moderate-level physical activity. If it's less impact on someone who is still in the process of getting back into shape to do the elliptical, or go swimming and then ease into Jillian Michaels, then that's all I was trying to encourage. These work out videos make a lot of promises and then push people harder than their fitness level can take them and then they give up and continue to perpetuate the unhealthy cycle of lethargy that caused them to be overweight in the first place. As long as you're moving, you're becoming more fit and that is really the point isn't it? Eat less, move more, be patient, and stick with it.

Right, but as Jillian says it's not just about burning calories, it's about toning WHILE you're burning calories :) and I agree, it doesn't come for free! you have to work at it :)
  • pandoraparadox
    pandoraparadox Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    When I did the 30 day shred (I only stopped because I lost my video right before I was heading back to college) I would do it 4-5 times a week, alternating and/or supplementing with other workouts (mostly light jogging and yoga). I definitely saw great results even with the slightly reduced amount. I lost 2 inches off my hips and waist through about a month of this sort of routine, but the biggest difference was in my lower belly "pooch" (you know, that annoying pocket of fat just above your hips?) where I lost about 5 inches total. I'm also a lot stronger (e.g. I can do REAL pushups now lol) and just more physically capable in general. Just listen to your body and do what it needs to do. You can take a rest day now and then, or even go every other day, and still get great results.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

Not really, because you said under 200 your original post, implying the effort isn't worth the calorie burn when that's not accurate. The thing with 30DS if, unless you have a medical issue like knee problems, you should be able to do everything, even if it is the modified version - maybe not as fast or without taking breaks but the exercises themselves aren't advanced. What makes it effective is the mix of cardio with strength training - because it's fat burning AND toning as somebody else mentioned. What perpetuates lethargy is lethargy. Workouts, especially in the beginning, are uncomfortable. You have to learn what is normal and what isn't.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I think it's recommended that you take one day off, but I think that might even be extreme, and considering you burn less than 200 calories doing it, it's not really worth it (the exhaustion, fatigue, sore muscles, etc) to do it every day, you're just going to burn yourself out. So I used it more for toning than for weight loss. I'd usually do it in combination with a cardio exercise. Take days off from 30 day shred but not from working out, still do your cardio; always do your cardio.

I burn 225-300 each time a do a 30ds work out --- I'm 5'3, 148 pounds, and with 24% BF and that's according to a pretty accurate HRM - so the basis for your advice here is (likely) inaccurate unless the OP is super fit/not doing the program properly (ie pushing hard and keeping up). 200-300 calories IS definitely worth it because you're working less than 30 minutes. That is, if it is only soreness and not PAIN.

I did 30ds 30 days straight - but I didn't feel like I was pushing too hard. I did ripped in 30 5 days a week because more HURT and not hurt so good. Like everyone else said, OP, listen to your body. If you genuinely hurt and are in pain, not soreness - don't push it. Your results won't be lost taking a day or two off, it might just take you extra time to get to the goal you want to achieve. But I think that's totally what the fitness journey is about -- making choices you can live with.

I agree with this. I am doing Ripped in 30 (similar to 30DS in my opnion) and I burned 351 calories last night. I really gave it my all and did the advanced versions. It's definitely worth it for me to do it at least 5-6 days a week. I want results for working this hard! Of course diet is really important too.
  • Lifetimegoals
    Lifetimegoals Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi, there! Well, I am absolutely sedentary and tried 30-day shred yesterday. I can barely walk or type, LOL. So, what I'll do is do it every second day for one or two weeks, and then start it over and do it everyday. :)
  • KAA1982
    KAA1982 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I think you are supposed to do 2 days straight and take a rest day and repeat.
  • mininipuce
    mininipuce Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I tried to do it 7 days a week + normal workouts, but I was too tired after 9 days in a row. I took 2 days off and I'm starting again tonight.
  • cleanandlean2012
    cleanandlean2012 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I do 6 days a week, coupled with 1 hour Pilates and additional cardio (only 5-15 minutes) of rowing / cycling after the 30 DS. So far feeling much more toned. 2nd day of level 2!
  • hippiejacket0810
    hippiejacket0810 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I think it's recommended that you take one day off, but I think that might even be extreme, and considering you burn less than 200 calories doing it, it's not really worth it (the exhaustion, fatigue, sore muscles, etc) to do it every day, you're just going to burn yourself out. So I used it more for toning than for weight loss. I'd usually do it in combination with a cardio exercise. Take days off from 30 day shred but not from working out, still do your cardio; always do your cardio.

I burn 225-300 each time a do a 30ds work out --- I'm 5'3, 148 pounds, and with 24% BF and that's according to a pretty accurate HRM - so the basis for your advice here is (likely) inaccurate unless the OP is super fit/not doing the program properly (ie pushing hard and keeping up). 200-300 calories IS definitely worth it because you're working less than 30 minutes. That is, if it is only soreness and not PAIN.

I did 30ds 30 days straight - but I didn't feel like I was pushing too hard. I did ripped in 30 5 days a week because more HURT and not hurt so good. Like everyone else said, OP, listen to your body. If you genuinely hurt and are in pain, not soreness - don't push it. Your results won't be lost taking a day or two off, it might just take you extra time to get to the goal you want to achieve. But I think that's totally what the fitness journey is about -- making choices you can live with.

I need a HRM!!! This site tells me I only burn 162 and I know I burn more than that!!
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I do 6 days in a row of shred then take a day off, usually a weekend day where I know I can walk, ride bikes, or do Just Dance 4 (no lifting, just cardio). That schedule is working well for me, I don't feel burnt out. I felt very sore on days 3-5 of level one but now that I'm on level 2 I just get super sweaty during the workout but no more next day soreness.
  • lanakills
    lanakills Posts: 12
    Options
    The first 3 days were the most difficult for me. I was so sore! But I want to challenge myself and do the 30DS without a rest day.
    As a lot said, listen to your body! I'm only at day 6...
  • alibeec75
    alibeec75 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I find that I need to switch it up after day 3 or 4. My muscles need a break so I do something else for a day. Last week I went skiing for the day and today I did a longer run. Nothing crazy but trying to make up for the skipped calorie burn while giving different muscles a workout. In all it will likely take me 34 or 35 days to complete the 30 days of shredding!

I`m seeing results though...so I`m pleased with the effort.
  • KevinsCatie
    KevinsCatie Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I started on Friday, but am doing it a little bit differently. Instead of doing each level for the full 10 days, I'm doing each level for 2 days then switching to the next level. If you go for the full 30 days, you would do each level for 2 days, 5 times each. I feel like it works the muscles differently each time, and keeps you from getting bored (which is my biggest problem.) Also my muscles are as sore for as long. Oh they hurt while I'm doing the exercises but they dont stay that way for too long.
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Yes, I just did day 7 yeaterday. Jillian has said herself you're allowed a day off. I do it two days in a row, take day off, then do another two. Your body needs a rest day.