Tips on how to handle the rest of the month?

Options
Wow, December is basically one big unhealthy-food-fest for me! (As it is for a lot of people) I've already had my share of St. Nick's candy (oops) and there are so many hurdles in my way!!! 1. My 21st birthday is Tuesday... no explanation necessary there lol! I'm sure celebration of that will go beyond Tuesday as well... 2. We are having a huge Christmas party this Friday at my house. #3. Finals week in school is coming up, and the stress always causes me to overeat sugary foods! 4. Christmas and New Years of course!

With all of these events coming up, how can I stay at least somewhat on track while still enjoying everything?! I mean right now I have a TON of candy from my family (who came up today and took me out to dinner/cake.. ugh!), and I'm sure more food is just going to be rolling in. Maybe I'll just start running 30 miles a day...?!?! :laugh:

Replies

• DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Well, Happy St. Nick's day...we also have candy all over our house right now!:wink:

My way of coping with many parties (just today was my sisters birthday party) is to excercise a bit extra the day of and the day after and then to focus on portions. It there is a big spread, only take like a tablespoon of each fattening thing and focus on the healthier options.

Today, I was sure to fill up over half of my plate with the lettuce salad and only tiny portions of everything else. I skipped the cake and ice-cream. Instead I enjoyed a full pot of English PG tips tea! :drinker:

Another birthday saver that I have found is to offer to help with cutting cake, scooping ice-cream, and serving plates. By the I am done some people are already done eating so it isn't as noticible that I didn't partake.:glasses:

As for your 21st! Just live it! You will only turn 21 once! (The mother part of me feels a strong need to remind you to be responsible and find a reliable DD, sorry my two oldest are 22 and 20.)

Happy Birthday!!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

DeeDee
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    Drink lots of water, exercise and eat in moderation if you want to have some holiday sweet.
    Happy Birthday by the way!:drinker:
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Oh...BTW...the birthday party for my sister?? Her birthday is Dec. 8th too! If you were celebrating St. Nicholas day can I assume that you are Catholic? If so, how cool to have your birthday on the feast of the Immaculate Conception!
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters. Exercise, drink lots of water and take small tastes of the special foods that you only get this time of year. I have passed up a bunch of food this season by thinking, "Nah, I can eat that anytime." Good luck with finals and Happy Birthday!!
  • muimuimui
    Options
    I know this concept seems a little absurd, but it's a lot easier to not overeat when you believe you just don't really want it, and when that ideal becomes part of your identity.

An example. Most of us love our meats, pork being one of them. It tastes great, yea?
    Yet, people under the Islam religion don't touch it. At all. We might think, that's crazy, bacon is great. Pork is great. They're missing out.
    Yet, at least the ones that I know, and I'm going to assume the majority, aren't actively craving the stuff. Why? Because their religion is part of their identity. They don't have to stop any cravings because it is part of them to simply not want to eat it. It's who they are.

So perhaps stop thinking "oh my god. chocolate is sooooooooooo. good. omg. I can't believe I can't have any. This sucks." And tweak your mindset a tad. You simply don't need it. Stuffing your face full of chocolate is not part of your identity, why would you do it?

Of course, enjoy yourself. But know that overeating and being glutton, just isn't you.

At least, I've found it a lot easier to stop thinking about wanting food every second this way. The "drink lots of water", "take your mind off with exercise", "tricks to make yourself seem like you're getting all the desserts you want while cutting portion sizes" all work great. But they're temporary. And you always feel like you're trying to cheat yourself in the end.