Sore muscles - cold for 24 hours, then heat? Why?

Options
I am sore from exercise. I put the heating pad on last night, about 12 hours after I exercised. I did not wait the 24 hours like it is recommended. I am not as sore today, so I think I did a good thing. But, why the cold for 24 hours/then heat afterwards advice?

Replies

• nefbaker
    Options
    The ice reduces the swelling, while the heat relaxes the muscles. It's a combination of the two that helps with the soreness.
  • fwalz3
    fwalz3 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, the cold reduces any swelling and the heat brings the blood to the muscle to heal it.
  • darkmouzy
    darkmouzy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    When you are sore after excersise you are experiencing excersise induced muscle damage. Your muscles are going trough numerous things including inflammation and that is why "cold" is indicated. However I am a firm believer in do what you feel will benifit you most. Sometimes I use cold some times I don't all depends on how I feel.

Do you use anything for post work out suppliments? I would highly recommend a post work out/ recovery drink to take after a work out it.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Heat can make inflammation worse.
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments. I am almost 100% better today. I have a very nasty bruise to my left thigh - where another skater's toe pick went into my leg. It's about an inch and a half total black & blue. It's not even sore.

Yes, I've used those recovery drinks. They are awesome. But, I did not use this now as I am trying very hard to lose about 20 pounds.
  • nefbaker
    Options
    you could try Poweraide Zero....or eating a banana, it will give you extra potassium to help with the soreness.