TUNA FISH!!!

Options

Replies

• WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Mix with tzatziki sauce. Delicious and low cal.
  • Evalask
    Options
    I usually mix my tuna with mustard and sometimes I add relish, as well. If I add mayo at all it's just for texture, and it's usually somewhere around 1/4 tbsp to a half a can of tuna.
  • TMcSter
    TMcSter Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Excellent suggestions with the Greek yogurt and mustard. I typically use Miracle Whip or fat free mayo.
  • SheRa1964
    Options
    You can eat the mayo. Just count it. If you deprive yourself you won't be able to keep it off. Count everything!
  • SheRa1964
    Options
    Tuna salad is great on a salad or even in a cut tomato! :) You can use just tuna on a salad too.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I buy American Tuna from Whole Foods (plus another one that's also American only). I don't eat it often but when I do I support American line fishermen. Ironically, I did a cost estimate and discovered that is was actually affordable considering they pack it in it's own juice and it's really a filet of tuna - not pre-chopped up tuna. It even looks different coming out of the can. The quality is different too and the weight is heavier. I prefer the flavor. Also, the mercury levels are dependent on a variety of factors like size of fish. I know they claim on the can to have low levels. I try to buy fish that has been farmed/caught in ways that are good for the environment. I don't eat it all of the time so I tell myself it's worth paying more to get a good product that tastes better anyway.

I usually use mayonnaise, ketchup, 1 whole lemon juiced, Dijon mustard BUT I also cut up a large green apple, one large celery stick, and chop them finely into tiny cubes. Basically, it triples everything as the veggies are the same quantity or more of the actual tuna fish. You can even add cabbage leaves chopped up too. I did that last time. When I did all of that, I discovered that with my low cal mayo (1/2 Cup) and ketchup (1/4 cup), a whole lemon, a teaspoon of dijon (premix this all first THEN add it) - it served like six people at about 210 calories to 250 without a bun. Basically, it can make for multiple meals. So tuna isn't bad, it's how you fix it up and the quantity you chose to eat.
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I use Greek yogurt too, sometimes mixed 1/2 and 1/2 with mayo. Usually just plain yogurt tho....and add same stuff as you would for regular tuna salad.

Its actually quite good!
  • littlewitch1973
    Options
    I mix in a tbs of greek yogurt, a tbs of light hellmans, and a tsp of dry onion soup mix. It gives it a really great flavor - I also just put it over a bed of lettuce - very low carb, high protein - I have also had it over tomatoes... its delish!!
  • FranKatja
    FranKatja Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Try eating fresh tuna steaks instead of the tinned stuff if you can get hold of it . It's so much healthier and fresher... and tastes much better too. Cook it with a tiny bit of olive oil and lemon and it's delicious :)
  • jccst9
    jccst9 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I mix a lot of things with tuna. In fact, I make a salad that grosses out everyone around me but I absolutely love it! I put a can of tuna on top of some lettuce, toss in lowfat shredded cheddar, little Italian dressing, and the hottest salsa I can stand (I've heard spicy is helpful for burning fat but I could be way off). You get veggies, you get protein, and you get a little bit of dairy.

I also like to mix relish in with my tuna and simply leave the mayo out. Not as fun, but tolerable. Play around with different seasoning too: lemon pepper, dill, garlic salt, etc.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I use flavored vinegars like Perel's Tequila Lime, cook frozen tuna vs canned for even better taste. Also consider hummus as a spread or binder in place of mayo or a little fat free plain yogurt.
  • MissPatty584
    MissPatty584 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I make tuna patties. I use 2 servings of tuna, 1 egg, black pepper, and about 5-7 crackers, smashed to crumbs. mix it up, split in half, shape it, cook it. I use cooking spray, i know its got a teeeny bit of fat, but w/e. 1 quick spray.. viola, 2 sandwich ready patties.
  • MBSNANA
    MBSNANA Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I love tuna fish. I love to make a sandwich with onions but my all time favorite is to cook some pasta, drain, put in a bowl add onions a boiled egg and I use mayonnaise but someone was talking about the laughing cow cheese. I think I am going to try it with no mayo but add the cheese if the sodium is not to high. [I am restricted on sodium. Some Ms. Dash sodium free onion and herb would be good.} Hope that helps you. I came up with a new way of fixing for me. Thanks.:laugh:
  • sungvars
    sungvars Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I put tuna fish on my green salad with a hard boiled egg. Yummy.
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I have tuna with Granny Smith apple diced and mixed into the salad. The tart/sweet apple makes the tuna flavor more palatable. Some people also add nuts with the apple but I prefer just apple and I peel it cause I don't like the peel but you could do either. You could mix Hellmens light mayo with plain yogurt to cut the calories. I would not eat tuna every day because of the mercury but a couple times a week would be good.
  • debinmb
    debinmb Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi. Do you like dijon mustard? Lower calories than mayo. Be careful with eating tuna everyday. Tuna is high in mercury and that could bring other health issues.
  • n_gal87
    n_gal87 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I like the flavored pouches too, I've found that I can eat them dry (no mayo) if I put them in a salad and add dressing later.

I make white albacore in water with regular hellmans mayo for lunch, I also add relish and half a small white onion. I used to like it with a lot of mayo but for the last few weeks I've gradually been putting slightly less mayo each time. I don't intend to eat it dry but just to get it down to a cal level I'm a little more comfortable with.

I think the important thing is to healthy things that you also enjoy and to count them! Its okay to eat mayo as long as you account for it in your diary. If you deprive yourself and don't enjoy what you're eating you won't be able to stick to this.

Side note: if you like pickles they go great with tuna and have very few calories :)
  • ndwyer0910
    ndwyer0910 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I mix a lot of things with tuna. In fact, I make a salad that grosses out everyone around me but I absolutely love it! I put a can of tuna on top of some lettuce, toss in lowfat shredded cheddar, little Italian dressing, and the hottest salsa I can stand (I've heard spicy is helpful for burning fat but I could be way off). You get veggies, you get protein, and you get a little bit of dairy.

I also like to mix relish in with my tuna and simply leave the mayo out. Not as fun, but tolerable. Play around with different seasoning too: lemon pepper, dill, garlic salt, etc.

I wont lie i will totally try that first one lol
  • nataliexxxx
    Options
    tuna with vinegar
  • Jackie80taylor
    Jackie80taylor Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    i have tuna with vinegar and mint sauce, never eat it any other way and its yummy :-)