Sugar? Yes, no or maybe so?

Options
I was just wondering what everyone thinks about Sugar. How much should you get daily? What are the best foods to get sugar from?

I have found a lot of mixed results on the web and with people I talk too. Any information would be greatly appreciated! :bigsmile:

Replies

• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I don't think we need sugar in our diets, and we'd all be better off without it. A lot of us on here are trying to cut it out of our lives as much as possible. I don't even feel good about too much fruit sugar, but as long as it's coming from the whole fruit, it has fiber which slows down the absorption of the sugar. It's better to consume sugars earlier in the day when you'll have a better chance of burning them off rather than potentially storing them as fat. The problem is, if you're anything like me, you crave your sugars at night.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion is that fruit is an obvious food source for humans. It's easily accessible (in nature) and ready to eat for immediate energy. I'd say I average eating 1-2 pieces of fruit each day, most often apples and bananas but I eat a huge variety of fruits over time.

I had a big problem with "addiction" to processed sugar prior to my coming to MFP and losing weight. I stopped eating candy cold turkey and very surprisingly to me, I don't even crave it anymore. I don't regularly crave any of the things I craved on a daily basis before (chocolate, ice cream, cookies, cakes, pies, etc). On Thanksgiving I splurged and had a brownie... and then I had 2 more. So for me personally, processed sugar is an addictive (mentally at least) thing that I need to avoid the majority of the time. Luckily for me, now it's pretty easy to do.