Couch to 5k = Weight Gain?

I've come across quite a few posts where people talk about how they gained weight while doing the Couch to 5k. What's up with that? I'm planning to start on Tuesday, but weight gain is the last thing I want!

Thanks!

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Sigh...
    You won't be fatter from cardio. You might gain a little firm muscle. If there is any weight gain from such a program it is due to short term muscle and water gains, anyone that follows the full program with gain in health, fitness and likely lose some inches...
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Sigh...
    You won't be fatter from cardio. You might gain a little firm muscle. If there is any weight gain from such a program it is due to short term muscle and water gains, anyone that follows the full program with gain in health, fitness and likely lose some inches...

this. Weight gain doesn't = fat gain. You don't want to gain fat. Weight is just a random number.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Cardio is generally catabolic, so you won't be gaining muscle or fat from it. It could be an overall nutrition issue or water retention.
  • Jackie80taylor
    Jackie80taylor Posts: 76 Member
    dont worry, since i started running i havent lost a single pound... but i have gained fitness & muscle as well as lost inches, ignore the scales and watch your clothes start to feel loser and your health improve, its well worth it :-)