Im trying to make a healthy recipe book! Help! please?

If any one has any recipes they would like to share feel free ! thanks

Replies

• Tomato-rice!

1 cup of uncooked brown rice (white rice works too)
    1 tin of tomatoes
    1 cup of water
    1 white onion
    1 clove of garlic (or 2, or 3, or 4 depending on how much you like garlic)
    1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
    1 vegetable oxo cube

optional-
    pretty much any vegetables can be thrown in (apart from potatoes)
    beans (sometimes I like to add a tin of adzuki beans)
    diced chicken, quorn mince etc
    pepper, mixed herbs/spices

* no need to add any extra salt, there is enough salt in the oxo cube *

1. Roughly chop the onion and garlic and lightly fry them in a large sauce pan and then remove them from the heat.
    2. Add the tin of tomatoes, a cup of water, the oxo cube, the Worcester sauce and the cup of rice to the pan and start to stir. Put the pan back on the heat.
    3. ?? This is your chance to add your own ingredients! Your favourite vegetable maybe, or some diced chicken? or not, your choice! ??
    4. Bring to the boil, cover and then simmer for 30-40 minutes. Stir frequently to avoid burnt bits at the bottom. Ready to serve when most of the liquid ha reduced down and it starts to resemble a risotto.
    5. Serve up and enjoy!

* Refrigerate and eat within 2 or 3 days. add a tsp of butter and microwave for 2-3 minutes *
  • thank you!
  • daughterofthesea
    daughterofthesea Posts: 82 Member
    I have a blog - http://teachyourtastebuds.blogspot.co.uk/ where I put up recipes, so feel free to nab some of them! Updated daily x
  • wooo thank you
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Love this idea! I've been wanting to make a recipe book too but I procrastinate (I'm a master at that). I might have to keep peeking in this post and copy some recipes too! Thanks for posting this. I'll have to check the amount of calories in one of my pasta salads if you like italian dressing you might like it. I just don't know how healthy it is. :tongue:
  • i do like italian dressing and i would love to try it
    thank you
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Summer Spaghetti Salad
    (I love this salad because the ingredients are fairly flexible.)

Ingredients:
    1pkg (16oz) of Whole Wheat spaghetti noodles (if you don't like spaghetti noodles you can substitute with any style of noodle)
    Add any vegetables diced I usually go with what I already have in the house (or cucumbers, broccoli (blanched), tomatos and sometimes I add onions and this is what I normally put into my salad)
    8oz of Italian dressing
    2 Tbsp. parmesan cheese
    2 Tsp. Mrs. Dash table blend
    1/2 Tsp. garlic powder (or you can choose the robust Italian dressing as a cheat)
    2 Tsp. sesame seeds
    1/4 Tsp. celery seeds

-Cook pasta to the directions on box and rinse with cold water.
    -Toss in all ingredients and mix until all coated
    -Refrigerate at least 2hrs

Optional: I try to keep extra Italian dressing just in case the pasta soaks most of it up and the flavor goes a little bland. It helps spruce it up a little.

I have no idea how many calories is in this so I apologize but from recipes similar to this one it says they range from 150-200cal. per cup but that would all depend on what you all put into it or if you use a light version of Italian dressing.
  • would you happen to have a pic to go along with that recipe?
  • athenad121
    athenad121 Posts: 14 Member
    Tilapia & Shrimp w/ Lemon and Tomatoes (I call it Heaven on a plate)

4 oz tilapia filet
    2 oz peeled deveined uncooked shrimp
    2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
    italian seasoning blend (to taste)
    6-8 grape tomatoes
    3 thin slices of lemon; plus a wedge for squeezing

put the tilapia and shrimp on a large piece of aluminum foil, lightly brush with the olive oil and sprinkle on the seasoning. Put the lemon slices over the tilapia and squeeze some juice over the shrimp. Add the tomatoes and drizzle them with the remaining oil left from brushing on the fish. Fold the foil like a burrito to make a nice little packet & use a fork to poke a few small holes in the top so some of the steam can escape. Put the packet on a cookie sheet and bake in a 350 oven for about 30 minutes. I usually eat this with half a baked potato with a Tbsp of light sour cream and some steamed spinach with lemon juice and a bit of reduced fat feta cheese. About 350 calories for the entire meal :smile:

I have a picture but have no idea how to add it lol