New Scale Acting Dumb

Options
Okay it's not NEW new, but we bought it new about 2 months ago. It's the Weight Watchers scale that measures body fat, bone mass, water % etc. It allows for, I believe, four personalized users.

Ever since we got it it always reads one number all day. I do weigh in every day, right in the morning immediately after waking and in the same garment. To test it's accuracy, the first week I would weigh in around lunch time and any other time I'd pass by it. The scale would always read the same number to the ounce. This just isn't possible.

Today it read 118.9. Then I hit the user button to see my new BMI and body fat and it errored out for everything but weight. So I tried again. It gave me a new weight of 123.4 :noway: then I tried again. 121.7. Um no. And last but not least, 119.5.

Other than a battery change, which I don't think will help it, WTF is wrong with the scale!?!? It had good reviews before I bought it but now I'm doubting...

Replies

• shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Mayb this one is just defective. Send it back and tell them u want a new one, cuz it's giving u off the wall readings.
  • fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I bought it from Bed, Bath & Beyond though :-/ I also didn't save the receipt nor the box so I feel screwed!
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Are you placing the scale in exactly the same spot for every weigh-in? Uneven flooring can give you different results.

If you can find the manual on-line, it should tell you how much of a weight-difference it will pick up. Some will display the last weight it held in memory unless the new weight is different by more than a certain amount (like a half pound). Maybe that's the issue?

Did changing the batteries do anything?
  • fairestthings
    Options
    It's on our tiled bathroom floor, and I make sure the feet are always on a tile not in the grout :ohwell:

I have to buy the batteries yet, will do tomorrow. Just wondering if anyone may have scale advice (which others are better) or if anyone may know much abotu this one specifically.

I'll have a look online to see if there is that difference you talk about.
  • suenewberry81
    suenewberry81 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    My scales can be a bit wild, the day b4 weigh in I would have a peek at my weight it can say 4lb on then next day weigh in day I would be worried because I think I've gain then they can say lb lost where did the 5lb go ???? I now keep mine in the bathroom under a small unit that I can lift so the scales don't ever move, never have any problems now
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I bought it from Bed, Bath & Beyond though :-/ I also didn't save the receipt nor the box so I feel screwed!

Crap, hmmm try the battery thing then like others are suggesting. If tht doesn't fix it, i'd say it's faulty.
  • MoonIite
    MoonIite Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I have the same scale. I've had this scale for a year+ and a week ago it started giving me inconsistent readings. I'll replace the battery tomorrow and see if it fixes this problem.
  • fairestthings
    Options
    I have the same scale. I've had this scale for a year+ and a week ago it started giving me inconsistent readings. I'll replace the battery tomorrow and see if it fixes this problem.

Did it ever change the weight reading throughout the day for you? Like, say you weighed in at 8 AM and it was 150, then at 3 PM and it was 153 (water weight, time of day change)? Or does it pretty much stay the same number for you the whole day? (Throughout your owning it)
  • MoonIite
    MoonIite Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Well I weigh in once a week, but during my weigh in, I have to step on the scale 5-6 times and go with the number that shows twice. For example, I can get on this scale and have it read one weight, step off, step back on and get a different weight.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I have had this scale for over 6 months.
    It has never let me down, the batteries last for ages, and I checked it with kettlebell weights for accuracy.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Salter-9050-Glass-Reverse-LCD/dp/B002JRJ7VU/ref=sr_1_43?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1346630387&sr=1-43