Runners - need advice on dealing with dogs!

Options
No matter what route I run from my house, there are at least a few areas where there are sketchy dogs to contend with. In two places in particular, 2-5 dogs come at me on the road as I am running by, barking, growling, and sometimes chasing me...until this point I have squirted them with my water bottle or a couple of times thrown rocks, but I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for another method of getting them to back off. I am a little nervous using spray because with my luck it would get blown back into my face or something.

Replies

• Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Buy yourself a cheap bag of doggie treats to throw at them, they will be waiting very patiently for you after a few days
  • DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,471
    Options
    All the dogs I see on the trails I run, which are not on a leash, are always well trained (so far). I have had some dogs run to their property line with some mean barks. But I have yet to feel threatend. I don't carry any protection with me when I run, but I would not hesitate to kick a dog in its chops if I felt I needed to protect myself. This is probably not going to be a popular answer, but my truth on the subject.
  • fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Are you able to report their owners or even kindly ask the owners to fence them or leash them? Most neighborhoods and places have leash laws.

My only issue is when they're being walked by their owner and the owner still lets the dog chase me even on it's friggin' leash.
  • ang3h
    ang3h Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I've used pepper spray several times when walking my dogs since there are alot of vicious dogs that get out of their yards in my neighborhood. It won't blow back in your face.. get the stream kind, not the fog kind.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    There are special sprays and what not... I'd say buy one and make sure that you know how to use it properly so that you are not fumbling around when it happens.

Where I run, all dogs are behind fences, so I haven't had to deal with any coming after me just yet. I did have one this morning though, flatten him/herself to the point where their face was poking out under the fence... Since it was a little ankle biter dog though, I wasn't too worried!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I stop running, and tell them to go home. I walk until I'm sure they're no longer interested and/or following, then resume running. Some dogs have a very high prey drive, even if they're not normally aggressive, and like to chase anything that runs. It's why if your dog is lose the best thing to do isn't to chase him, but to run the other way and get him to follow.

If it's the same dogs always lose, and they appear aggressive, call your local animal shelter or animal control.
  • EdgyMcSterious
    Options
    I like the dog treat idea, it might be worth a try. I would probably just drive to a place with less or no dogs.

If it got really bad, I might report these dog owners to the city. You shouldn't feel threatened on your run because another person refuses to control their pets.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    If a dog runs after you, STOP. Dead in your tracks. Tell him "GO HOME" in a stern voice. If a dog chases you NEVER continue running. You are begging to be bitten in the *kitten* if you do! Even the best dogs will do that.
    It is a good idea to carry pepper spray and that is something I need to do and have not yet. Thanks for the reminder. Ordering now.
  • elfpearl
    Options
    Thanks...lots of good advice! I'm thinking I will get some spray...more for insurance than anything!
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Are you running the same route? Can you go and meet and greet the dogs? Maybe that would help.. I've thrown rocks and stopped to pet some dogs.. it all depends on the nature of the dog.. Good luck!
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I stop running, and tell them to go home. I walk until I'm sure they're no longer interested and/or following, then resume running. Some dogs have a very high prey drive, even if they're not normally aggressive, and like to chase anything that runs. It's why if your dog is lose the best thing to do isn't to chase him, but to run the other way and get him to follow.

If it's the same dogs always lose, and they appear aggressive, call your local animal shelter or animal control.

^^ I agree with this. But an animal shelter can't do anything, so you'd need to call the police or animal control. If your town has no leash law, which I'd say is unlikely, I don't know what they'd be able to do either, so maybe scope out a new route as well, just in case. I know, I know, you shouldn't have to, but still. I also like the dog treat idea, but that won't work if they aren't food motivated.

One other thought, is it possible they're behind an invisible fence, or can they actually get to you? When I'm walking I always have my own dogs with me, and there have been a few times when I thought we were going to be massacred, only to find out there was an invisible fence. I hate those things.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    This has always been a pet peeve of mine, owners that let their dogs run loose or don't have a good enough fence. I had a pit bull once come at me once, and it would not let me by. I had nothing, I was totally defenseless. I instinctively screamed at the top of my lungs (something I could never do on purpose LOL). The owner came out and I chewed him a new one. Oh I was mad.

I live in a rural area and most of the dogs are nice, but if I had that happen again on any of my routes I think I would like to carry treats but they may not work, some sort of pepper spray, and a big stick. That's a lot but I have this vivid memory of being cornered by a growling bit bull once. The treats might not always work.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    PS - make sure the spray you get is allowed in your town/state. Some of them have pretty strict regulations and you wouldn't want to find YOURSELF in trouble for just trying to stay safe.
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    This is my BIGGEST pet peeve when running. I absolutely HATE dogs that are out of their yards. I get chased all the time and once I was attacked by 3 big dogs and had to get a tetiness(sp?) shot and ever since I get way scared when I get barked at. I have pepper spray but am waiting to get a runners belt next month so I can carry it with me easily. Otherwise... if I am by a fenced in yard, I stop running, and get really close to that yard so I can jump the fence if it comes after me. lol. I look ridiculous I'm sure! And if it's a little ankle biter, I usually stop, bark loudly at the dog and chase it a few steps. Again, I look ridiculous but it works EVERY time. lol
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Pepper spray seems a bit extreme to me. It's not the dogs fault - it's their owners, so you should be more interested in having them dealt with.

If it were me, I would stop running and walk carrying treats like someone mentioned. And again, like someone else said, if it's the same dogs then report it.
  • SueGremlin
    Options
    This reminds me of a day early this spring when I was out running and an absolutely ENRAGED rooster came right at me. He had death in his eyes and an angry tone on his breath. "Raaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwkkkkk!!!!!" he said to me. If you never thought a chicken could have facial expressions, think again. He was terrifying.

I stopped like I would with a dog, but he didn't stop coming at me. I was thinking "Great. Here I am without any kind of weapon at all". I had only my iPod. I looked around nervously for a stick or something to cricket-bat him away with, but there was nothing. I braced myself to use my foot, knowing full well that he had at least 3" spurs. If you've never been spurred before, they may as well be metal stilettos on the insides of their legs.

I bent over, poised to grab his legs and stretch his fool chicken neck. Luckily for him, he stopped a few feet in front of me. Big poseur that he was. He flapped and swore at me some more, but never touched me. What a relief.

He's not around anymore. I suspect he chased one too many runners.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Saying that... if a dog came at me and my dog I wouldn't hesitate to kick it. But that's only if it started trying to bite us. Otherwise I stand still, pick my dog up and raise my voice at it.
  • SueGremlin
    Options
    Pepper spray seems a bit extreme to me. It's not the dogs fault - it's their owners, so you should be more interested in having them dealt with.

If it were me, I would stop running and walk carrying treats like someone mentioned. And again, like someone else said, if it's the same dogs then report it.
    If a dog attacks me and threatens to bite, you bet your face I will not hesitate to pepper spray him. Better that than sustaining a nasty dog bite from a dog with an uncertain vaccination history.
    Of course I would rather stop and make friends with the dog and always will try that first. But you cannot count on that always being successful. Dogs can be very dangerous and you don't know those dogs. Better carry pepper spray and be safe rather than sorry.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Dogs chasing humans (and cats and other dogs and cars and basically anything that moves) is not a problem specific to runners. I think you wanna consult a dog expert. I don't know where you live, but if you've got a Pet Food Express in a strip mall near you, you might stop by and ask them. Yes, they are a pet supply store, but the staff is really well trained and every staff member I've ever spoken with in any of their stores has also been a dog owner. Tell them you're being chased by unleashed dogs and need an effective, humane way to get them to back off. Betcha they have some good ideas. Your local vet's office probably has some proven strategies to suggest, too.

Good luck!
  • ang3h
    ang3h Posts: 185 Member
    Options

It isn't extreme when you're walking your dog and another dog runs up and attacks it.