The Juice/Smoothie/Soup Diet-Does it work?

Options
Hi all!

I have just bought a smoothie maker/juicer and I am so looking forward to experimenting with fruit and vegetables to create healthy soups, smoothies and juices.

I have heard a lot of people go on a diet where they have one meal a day (smoked salmon meal usually at night) and substitute anything else for juices/soups/smoothies so thought is it worth giving it a shot? As I know quite a few people who have tried it and have lost loads of weight! One woman I know got from a size 14-16 to a 8-10 in 6 weeks! She was half the woman she was before, she said it was hard but she was going to be a bridesmaid at her sister's wedding and wanting to lose the weight.

So is the liquid diet with one full meal a day healthy? Or could it cause nutritional problems?

Let me know what you all think!

Replies

• Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    It's just one way of creating a calorie deficit. Not the one I would choose, personally.

I hear a balanced diet and exercise is pretty good.
  • jessiecoody
    jessiecoody Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    With my experience, both personally and knowing others that have done it, you can lose weight quickly, but it doesn't last. Once you add regular food back in your diet, unless done very strictly, the pounds come back. The best way is to find a diet plan that you can stick with long term, unless you are only needing a quick fix for an occasion, and pushing through it slow and steady. Fast fad weight loss programs usually are not, in my opinion, set up for people that want long term, permanent weight loss.
  • samarlove
    Options
    my friend did a similar diet and lost weight quickly but she also gained it back quickly I think what you should do is supplement smoothies for breakfast and snacks i hear a lot of people do that including my own sister and she loves it!
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Sure if you like starving to death..........
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    If you are just going to go on a diet, you'll eventually go off it and gain the weight back. How about eating healthy (whole foods - not diet junk) and adding a minimum of three days of exercise to your lifestyle?
  • SerahLaffere
    SerahLaffere Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    If you're having sufficient enough calories within them Liquids I don't see why It wouldn't work :) But you'd have to introduce more solids in VERY slowly! Maybe have soups with whole vegetables in.