How soon to see exercise results?

Options
Question - how soon after a heavy workout (such as burning more than 2000 calories) will the scale show your effort? Will it be 24 hours, 48, more? Just curious. I have heavy weekends and my weigh in days are Mondays. Since I don't weigh myself in between, I'm not sure how significantly the scale changes. Plus, your weight fluctuates daily anyway. So, ummmmmmmmmm, yeah, any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Replies

• Rawr1978
    Rawr1978 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of factors go into it. I know with myself, trying to find the answer was impossible. I have done 600-calories, heavy sweating, barely-breathing workouts, and watched the scale go UP. It depends on if you're retaining fluid, what you've eaten, etc.
    For me, I've done 50-minute cardio sessions for the past 3 days, burning about 400 calories, plus walking to and from the gym, and I've lost 3lbs so far..BUT, this is the first time I've had that happen in over 3 years (I'm 10 months PP)
  • JennyNotSoSkinny
    JennyNotSoSkinny Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    That's pretty good!!! I'm wondering how soon it will show if eating habits are consistently good.
  • Rawr1978
    Rawr1978 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Barring fluid retention, etc, if all "systems are normal", i believe in the "calories out > calories in" equation. Keep in mind, muscle weighs more than fat.
    Look in the mirror every day. I noticed my saddlebags are reducing :-)
  • oramos76
    oramos76 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    it depends a couple of things can mess with you weight sodium intake, sore muscles( hold more water which main cause temporary weight flucation), or you may build muscle (muscle heavier than fat). but if those things are in check and so is your diet you should see progress in a good amount of time try to weigh your self more often and consitently first thing in the morning is what i do buts most important go by the mirror hope that helps :happy:
  • JennyNotSoSkinny
    JennyNotSoSkinny Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Wow, i wasn't aware that sore muscles retain more water. That complicates things more cuz I'm the most sorest on weigh in day. Thanks for the help!