Casein versus Whey

Options
Still on a search for the best tasting protein powder. So far in terms of powders I've only really had whey-based products, but I've been drinking some RTDs (ready-to-drinks) from the supermarket made by Horleys that are purely Calcium Caseinate. The powders I've tried have all had some pretty lame aftertastes, but these RTDs taste amazing. I was wondering if anyone's tried casein powder and if so, have you found it to be better tasting than whey-based powder with no funny aftertaste?

Cheers in advance.

(Edit for grammar)

Replies

• small_ninja
    small_ninja Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Bump :tongue:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I prefer casein because:
    A) it's thicker
    B) it bakes better
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Still on a search for the best tasting protein powder. So far in terms of powders I've only really had whey-based products, but I've been drinking some RTDs (ready-to-drinks) from the supermarket made by Horleys that are purely Calcium Caseinate. The powders I've tried have all had some pretty lame aftertastes, but these RTDs taste amazing. I was wondering if anyone's tried casein powder and if so, have you found it to be better tasting than whey-based powder with no funny aftertaste?

Cheers in advance.

(Edit for grammar)

Casein is slowly absorbed which is great with taking it at night for me. Beef Protein Isolate is great since it has a higher creatine content per serving. Whey is faster absorbing but does that really mean much to be honest with you. I buy Beef Isolate, and Casein based.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I prefer casein because:
    A) it's thicker
    B) it bakes better

same!

BUT most of them taste like *kitten* xD

have to find a good one!

*coughcough* Xtreme Formulations
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I prefer casein because:
    A) it's thicker
    B) it bakes better

same!

have to find a good one!

Best protein I had so far mixed with water has to be beef isolate (carnivore).
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I use ON Whey (french vanilla) after work outs and ON Casein (banana creme) at night before bed... I love the Optimum Nutrition powders and ordered them from Bodybuilding dot com. The banana creme casein is A-ma-zingggggg! :drinker:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I prefer casein because:
    A) it's thicker
    B) it bakes better

same!

have to find a good one!

Hmm...I just get the one from Bulk Nutrients in Australia and it tastes pretty damn good to me :smile:
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    First few I tried were ON brand.

Oh yuck :sick:
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your tastes really, the casein I have is OK but I'd like a better-tasting one. The brand I typically go with for whey-based products has some amazing flavors and they just came out with the Chiller flavors as well. For casein though they really only have choc and vanilla - I'd be up for a better priced brand (good quality, but a bit pricey) but I have yet to find a good-quality product which givs me no issues and tastes good!
  • inspiredfitchick
    Options
    I've also tried the Optimum Nutrition casein. They have two different caseins. One with sucralose and one with stevia. I'm guessing you probably don't care for stevia. In that case I think the one with sucralose you will like better. Chocolate tastes good to me.
    However they have totally different purposes. Whey is best after a workout because it is quick delivery of protein to your muscles. Casein is slower digesting so it's best to take it as a last meal before bed to insure your body receives protein during a long period of time. Casein has a more whipped texutre. I like to blend it with ice so it becomes a little frothy. :laugh:
  • ShannonBas
    ShannonBas Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Been wondering about this as well. :happy:
  • small_ninja
    Options
    Oh wow, thanks for all your replies :happy:

I have been eyeing up some ON casein but not sure if it's sucralose or stevia sweetened - will definitely check that before I buy. I'm just so put off buying protein powder coz it's so expensive and it's such a waste when it turns out to taste disgusting :grumble:
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Casein globulates in the the stomach and takes 6-8 hours to digest. Whey 2-3 hours (both start immediately). Casein is good for bed time, whey good for post workout.

Research shows a blend with both whey and casein gives best growth post workout over all and can be used postwork out .

Depends reasoning over all to which you use :)
  • small_ninja
    Options
    Update: I bought the Optimum Nutrition 100% Casein in Cookies and Cream and it tastes AMAZING. Cookies and Cream Oatmeal = possibly the best idea ever.