Sugar numbers always over my recommended?? HELP

Options
Hi all,
My sugar is often going over my allocation. Today I have had fruit/yoghurt for breaky. Cheese n crackers for a snack. Salad with ham for lunch. Roast chicken with salad and sweet potato for dinner.
Not sure where I am going wrong??
Any advice?
Cheers
nixism

Replies

• sionnain
    Options
    well fruit sugar is fine. i would just look out for the refined sugars.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it unless you are bloated and/or constipated. Also, if you're working out a lot. I tend to do just find with natural sugars from milk, fruit, veggies...
  • chrisc16
    Options
    I just try to minimize my sugar (and salt). If you start obsessing over the numbers, you'll probably go insane.
  • Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Hi, I glanced at your diary. Just check the sources of your sugar, example the apple a good choice, but the cranberry juice not. Its a lifestyle change so if you enjoy the juice have it :) I struggle too, especially if I eat a banana. WOW they are loaded.
  • nixism
    nixism Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Yeah thanks, I'm not a huge fan of fruit anyways, but I do try to have at least a couple of peices a week for variety. I do eat lots of veges though :)

The cranberry I'm drinking for another health reason, so again, not always something I have.

Thanks for your input guys :)
  • bilberryjam
    bilberryjam Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Firstly, look at the label and see how much sugar is in your yoghurt.

4g = 1 teaspoon.

Some of that sugar will be lactose, but if it's over 4g/100g it almost certainly has added sugar. Swap it for Greek yoghurt (NOT Greek style) and don't be afraid to eat full fat.

I find it helpful to think of the sugar in teaspoons, not grams, when I read the label. (Grams seem more abstract.) I'm often shocked by how much sugar is in things. You wouldn't add four teaspoons of sugar to your yoghurt, so don't let the manufacturer do it for you!

Secondly, eat more vegetables. They have all the advantages of fruit, without the fructose. (You don't really need to eat more than two small pieces a day. The berries you're having are best - much better than bananas, for example.)
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I don't count sugar in fruits, vegetables and dairy. I try to keep all other sugars below 24g (10g on a good day)
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing. I have eaten two apples today and apparently that is 32g of sugar! I think also the fact that I'm vegetarian means that I eat more carbs (though I definitely eat whole grain wherever possible, never eat chocolate or dessert, don't put sugar in tea/coffee, don't drink soda - apart from tonic with gin, which I'm trying to cut out). I've only been doing this a week, but I'm completely confused as to how I'm double over my recommended sugar for the week...
  • fankyskag
    fankyskag Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same position. I could understand it if I was eating processed food all the time, but I was a bit concerned when I noticed I was way over my sugar allowance and making everything from scratch (salads, etc). So I shouldn't be worried about sugar intake from apples/bananas/other fruit because they have other health benefits?
  • bilberryjam
    Options
    So I shouldn't be worried about sugar intake from apples/bananas/other fruit because they have other health benefits?

There are two schools of thought on this

1. Fruit sugar is fine.

2. Fruit sugar is still sugar.

Disclosure: I fall in the second camp.

I think fruit sugar is still sugar, but *a little* fruit sugar is fine.

So instead of a banana for breakfast, I have 1/4 cup of berries; instead of an apple for a snack, I have a small cup of almonds; I try to get what I need from veggies, instead of fruit; and I stay away from fruit juices (which typically have the same amount of sugar as Coke.)

But experiment and find what works for you.
  • fankyskag
    fankyskag Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    So I shouldn't be worried about sugar intake from apples/bananas/other fruit because they have other health benefits?

There are two schools of thought on this

1. Fruit sugar is fine.

2. Fruit sugar is still sugar.

Disclosure: I fall in the second camp.

I think fruit sugar is still sugar, but *a little* fruit sugar is fine.

So instead of a banana for breakfast, I have 1/4 cup of berries; instead of an apple for a snack, I have a small cup of almonds; I try to get what I need from veggies, instead of fruit; and I stay away from fruit juices (which typically have the same amount of sugar as Coke.)

But experiment and find what works for you.

Thank you. I've always had it in my head that "fruit sugar is still sugar", too. I suppose I was just clouded by the thought that fruit in all forms is good for you. I do have a sweet tooth, so thought I was doing well having an apple instead of chocolate - obviously not in terms of sugar! I'll try to introduce more berries and nuts.
  • bilberryjam
    Options
    I do have a sweet tooth, so thought I was doing well having an apple instead of chocolate - obviously not in terms of sugar! I'll try to introduce more berries and nuts.

Oh, you are doing really well!

It's so hard to give up chocolate. I haven't had any for three weeks and every afternoon I still think, 'wouldn't it be nice to have an oreo right now?' The trouble is it's never one oreo, it's the whole pack.

If you want to curb that sweet tooth, you might be making it harder for yourself by substituting one sweet (albeit healthier) thing for another sweet thing.
  • nixism
    Options
    Thanks all for your replies, makes sense. I'm not a huge fruit fan, so I guess I'll just keep on doing what I'm doing.
    I will certainly look for the sugars in my packaged foods from now on - ie my yoghurt etc.
    I eat a tonne of veges most days, so I think I am OK there, I prefer them 10x over fruit!

I'll keep a watch and see if I can change things a bit more over the coming week or so... test the water out! :)

Cheers
    Nixism
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I just try to minimize my sugar (and salt). If you start obsessing over the numbers, you'll probably go insane.

No joke. I always go over when eat fruits. I figure an apple is better than an ice cream sandwich.
  • nixism
    Options
    That is very true Sarah!!!