Enlighten me please. How come people are closing

Options
124»

Replies

• slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I don't read my friends' food diaries, but I do notice that sometimes they complete them very early in the day. And I'm like dude...aren't you going to get hungry?
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I don't read my friends' food diaries, but I do notice that sometimes they complete them very early in the day. And I'm like dude...aren't you going to get hungry?
    Do u have friends that are in different parts of the world ? Maybe it's a time difference thing. Or maybe they pre log
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I already feel like I'm eating all day long, my whole day revolves around eating enough. If I've burned more calories on a day than I expected I just can't get the extra food in anymore.
  • windycitycupcake
    windycitycupcake Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    just wanted to point out that one of the above posters is correct, mfp greatly overestimates calories burned for activities.

i use the amount that the piece of machinery i am using tells me (elliptical, treadmill etc) and usually the mfp amount is 150-300 calories more!!

i also use a pedometer when i track my walking, and it calculates my mph. aside from the fact that most of time i am not walking as fast as i think i am, when i enter the time and mph into mfp, it says i burned hundreds more than i actually did.

according to mfp i burn like 10,000 calories every time i have a shift at work "cooking, food preparation" ( i work in a bakery).

if that was the case i probably would not be here counting calories

not a big deal, just wanted to point that out
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I always close mine by 9pm. If I have not eaten all I am allowed, then tough I don't eat anymore. Perhaps ppl are just not hungry at all & feel no need to eat more than they need to. I know when I close mine it's midday for some other peeps or even 7am for some others. It's late for me so I'll close it at 9pm (my cutoff time for eating)
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    just wanted to point out that one of the above posters is correct, mfp greatly overestimates calories burned for activities.

i use the amount that the piece of machinery i am using tells me (elliptical, treadmill etc) and usually the mfp amount is 150-300 calories more!!

i also use a pedometer when i track my walking, and it calculates my mph. aside from the fact that most of time i am not walking as fast as i think i am, when i enter the time and mph into mfp, it says i burned hundreds more than i actually did.

according to mfp i burn like 10,000 calories every time i have a shift at work "cooking, food preparation" ( i work in a bakery).

if that was the case i probably would not be here counting calories

not a big deal, just wanted to point that out

I have found this too.
    Mfp calculations are often grossly generous
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    When I'm under, I'm trying to 'bank' some calories so I can drink on the weekend, and still hit the target for the weekly average... (:
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't you want to eat as much as possible and still lose weight? Is that just my pipe dream?

I

No, not at all. Eating is not my reason for living. I eat to fuel up- if I'm not hungry I won't eat, end of. (usually)
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    out their food diaries without eating all of their assigned calories?

I tend to see the same people doing this daily.

Wouldn't you want to eat as much as possible and still lose weight? Is that just my pipe dream?

I understand there may be days when you ran around like crazy and just didn't have the time to eat. I also know that there are days when you may be feeling under the weather at times.

Except for here and there my day usually ends with going over on calories.

Honestly I am recovering from an eating disorder. One of the medications I take pretty much kills my appetite. I try to eat as much as I can but it is really hard! I am practically forcing myself to eat.

maryjane_88, if you live in a state where it's legal try some marijuana (or possibly Marinol if you're in a state that doesn't) and see if that changes your appetite.

yep put drugs into ya (sorry I'm rolling my eyes here) to up your appetite. Nevermind the side effects (of what I have been put through by my ex) and that will sort it out.

I can't believe people actually think it's ok to suggest such a thing.... sorry. Drugs are drugs, and this one is NOT a good way to go about it. You may as well go drink driving then.

I refuse to bash anyone for their ideas, but BEFORE you ever look at putting any drug into your body I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY reccomend that you speak with a professional about this.. weather it be your primary care doc, or a nutritionist... I for one, will not every put any substance into my body that is illegal in any state!

She's already taking drugs that cause her to lose her appetite. Delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol, whether in natural form or synthetic form, has been proven to increase food cravings. Definitely consult your doctor about it before doing anything. The doctor may have other alternatives, or possibly put you on a different drug that doesn't cause you problems eating, or give you something that may increase your food cravings that isn't such a ridiculous taboo.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Do u have friends that are in different parts of the world ? Maybe it's a time difference thing. Or maybe they pre log

I have a friend who hits the "Complete" button a few times a day as she's trying out different menus. Now that I understand she does this, I know not to check her diary until after 8 PM. Those first few times she hits it it looks too low, but by the end of the day, when she's sorted out what she's actually going to eat, she's nearly always within 100 calories either way of goal.

People use the diary in a lot of different ways. Sometimes simply asking a few questions helps you to understand how your friends are using theirs.
  • leafstucker16
    leafstucker16 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I am not as hungry that day so I won't eat as much, each day is different.
  • LuxHappens
    LuxHappens Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If you are eating 1200 calories or less per day and exercising, you aren't eating enough. Period.

Doesn't matter if you're 5 feet tall and 110 pounds, 1200 calories is simply not enough calories for your body to fuel itself properly.

If you have fallen into the MFP trap of believing you need only take in 1200 calories per day, it's like that your metabolism has already slowed down -- this is why you are "not hungry" and "full after only 1000 calories".

I know this because I had the same problem and am currently struggling to add more calories. Once I get comfortable with my new goal (I was at 1200 initially, then changed it to 1400 and now am aiming for 1600), I will add more.

There is no way my body could be HEALTHILY burning fat and BUILDING MUSCLE while only ingesting such a small amount.

If you need more assistance understanding this, please check out my MFP geekyjock76's posts (all over MFP). He is who showed me that I was harming my body, and he can probably help you, too. (Thank you, Daniel!)
  • marcenepea
    marcenepea Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I set mine to lose .5 pound a week. So I have more calories, I think just over 1700. Somedays I don't want that much and I usually average between 1300-1600. This seems to work for me, If I'm hungry I eat if not I wont
  • Kikilicious84
    Options
    Well there are about 7000 different reasons people could be closing their diaries while being below their calories...eating disorders...sick...stress...exercise...burned dinner...lunch sucked...dropped breakfast on the floor...no time...want me to go on? Not sure why you're so concerned about others diary. If you don't approve of their intake then delete them...easy peasy!

Lol @ burned dinner

Add.. Pressed the complete button on accident. I'm known to complete an entry at 9am because I fat fingered the phone.
  • Cindy393
    Cindy393 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    If I'm not hungry, I'm not going to force myself to eat. I try to make sure I am close to my goal most days and my macros are relatively decent, but if I have exercise calories left, and I'm not hungry, I don't eat just to eat. That's what got me here in the first place.

someone I truly relate to!!!!
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    I would prefer MFP gave us the option of selecting a calorie range rather than 1 specific goal. My range would be 1450-1850 and I'd end my day on the low end if I felt good and satisfied, but push up to the top end if my appetite is a little bigger than usual. This is how I do things generally, even though I can't program in the range I have in my head. My actual programmed goal is somewhere in the middle of that range.

I so wish we could set a target range instead of just a target number!!

This is a great idea. I also wish we could do this. But I guess that is what our additional exercise calories are for.
  • kendryk2001
    Options
    But for some people out there, I know we dont want to eat back our exercise calories. I know for myself earlier this week I did a TON of work around the house, Tuesday I worked off 2216 for calories, and I was NOT about to eat those back! I was drinking alot more water those days, and I felt full until I went to bed. I notice that when I eat under my calories alloted I am not as hungry as when I eat right up to or go over them then I am STARVING!

I am not about to change this now, when I have already lost 4 pounds, but I would encourage you to find out what works best for you and stick with it.
  • fatmom51
    fatmom51 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I would prefer MFP gave us the option of selecting a calorie range rather than 1 specific goal. My range would be 1450-1850 and I'd end my day on the low end if I felt good and satisfied, but push up to the top end if my appetite is a little bigger than usual. This is how I do things generally, even though I can't program in the range I have in my head. My actual programmed goal is somewhere in the middle of that range.

I so wish we could set a target range instead of just a target number!!

This is a great idea. I also wish we could do this. But I guess that is what our additional exercise calories are for.

It's not a matter of needing exercise calories. It's a matter of getting used to hitting a range since we will never be able to be precise about what we consume in a real world setting. If I eat (and log) 1,201, I'm OVER, but if I eat (and log) ONLY 1,199, it posts as me being under my calories. There are days when I'm hungry and I net as many as 1,600, and other days where I net much less.
    I want to learn how to eat within a certain amount -- not hit a hard and fast number each day.

As to the OP's question, sometimes people just don't get around to logging everything so it appears they are under. (Last week, for example, I was really busy, so I logged on in the morning, listed my coffee, and never got around to listing most of the other eating I did that day.) And another reason, at least in my case, is when I've been particularly active -- walking, going to the gym, swimming, etc., I burn a ton of calories and even though I've eaten 1,500 calories or more, it still posts as being under because my net goal for that day may be 1,800 once I've listed my exercise (which may or may not be an accurate number)