Question For The Ladies....

Options
(I didn't really know which board to post this one so sorry) Ok so I have lost 100lbs and am now starting to have a regular menstrual cycle. Since I started at age 9 I have only had my "visitor" 2-3 times a year and it was always blamed on stress. But now I have had it for 5 months in a row (I was so surprised I didn't think it would ever happen) I was wondering is this normal and is it related to my weight loss??? Has anyone else experienced something like this???

Replies

• heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Is it normal to menstruate every month? Yes! Morbid obesity can cause fluctuations in hormone balance, resulting in irregular/ skipped menstruation. I would take this as a sign of health! ETA weighing too much OR too little can definitely have profound effects on your cycle.
  • witchiipooh
    witchiipooh Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I know that you are supposed to get your cycle every month I just never have and never thought that I would. I am very curious if this has happened to anyone else and if it really is a direct result of my weight loss.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I know plenty of women who have been overweight and trying to concieve but didn't have regular cycles. One thing the doctors always told them to try and help them regain their regular cycles and concieve was lose weight.

So I guess the regular cycles is just a side effect of your weight loss.

Great work by the way, 100lb is an amazing achievement!
  • Arrabindi
    Arrabindi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Way to go! It means you finally have a body that's healthy and able to function normally.
  • sunshine2212677
    sunshine2212677 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    yes, its the only donw side for me :-(
    i have had regualr "visits" (i like that, i think i may steal that term lol) for a good 6/8months now.
    it'd be fine without the cramps! lol
  • blueroses_78
    Options
    I started at age 15 (late bloomer), and was irregular, then got on the pill at 17 (for excruciating pain due to polycystic ovaries). After that, I was like clockwork (unless I was pregnant). I've had 2 children (and 2 miscarriages) since 2003, and until recently, I was on a normal schedule. Then I lost all my weight, and my periods stopped. I ended up going to my doc, and she told me that I'm going through "the change" - at 33 years old. One good thing is that I've not got any other symptoms other than an absent "visitor."

In your case, your body is getting back to normal hormone levels, most likely. As long as it isn't excessively heavy, painful, or frequent, I'd say that your body has gotten into it's normal state. :)
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Definitely good! However, with periods come PMS :(

However, losing weight can help with those symptoms, too!
  • HerBravado
    HerBravado Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Yes! But I have PCOS, which made my cycles irregular. After I lost about 20 pounds, the cycles came on their own & regularly. It was a good feeling--to feel "normal" again.

But soon I realized that I wasn't really missing much. LOL.
    I hate ToM!
  • witchiipooh
    witchiipooh Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I am actually a little happy to see my visitor because my husband and I really want to have children so this is kind of exciting for me!!!
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    congrats and good luck. time to start practicing!!:drinker:
  • firstsip
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I am actually a little happy to see my visitor because my husband and I really want to have children so this is kind of exciting for me!!!

Oh yay! Good luck! :)
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a fantastic benefit for you and hubby then!
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    So excited for you! :) if you have that much determination you're going to be one *awesome* mother!
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,812 Member
    Options
    not sure, but ive lost 25lbs, and last month mine was 4 days late, and that NEVER happens to me
  • firstsip
    Options
    not sure, but ive lost 25lbs, and last month mine was 4 days late, and that NEVER happens to me

Weight loss (or gain) DOES affect hormones--you didn't miss it, you were just late. So it could definitely just be your hormones adjusting.