STEVIA

Options

Replies

• manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Does Stevia have that fake/chemical taste that artificial sweeteners have, like the after taste of diet coke?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Does Stevia have that fake/chemical taste that artificial sweeteners have, like the after taste of diet coke?

It doesn't taste like artificial sweeteners. It doesn't cause bloating the way sugar alcohols do (Splenda).
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I've used stevia regularly for last year or so. I like it in my tea and on my cereal. It's even good in hot tea. The only sodas I've found sweetened with stevia are the Zevia brand sodas. I buy the Zevia colas. They're a little expensive, but the price has come down since I started buying them. I switched to stevia because too many bad things are out about Splenda and aspartame. You can grow stevia and find methods for making your own sweetener by doing an online search.
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think it almost seems sweeter than sugar! And my neighbor grows it.

The leaves are about 8-9 times sweeter than sugar (for the same amount). The refined extracts are 200 to 300 times sweeter than the same amount of sugar.
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    i do!!!!!!!!!!!!! all natural no calories!!! yay.... no fermaldahyde or rat poison!! whoo hooo
    yep yep:bigsmile:
  • Chrisswa
    Options
    I have used Stevia for over 10 years now in my coffee etc
  • Avia16
    Avia16 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I use stevia in my toothpaste, as stevia helps teeth stay clean.
    This is a website that tells you how to make the toothpaste that I do with stevia. I love it.
    http://www.colorfulcanary.com/2011/08/make-your-own-organic-toothpaste.html
    I've never used it in food though. I have yet to try it.
  • obrendao
    Options
    I used to use the extract from Wild Oats (Whole Foods now), it lasted forever and only a few drops was needed - now they have Stevia powder or Stevia in the raw...I love them both as a sweetener. I don't use too much of it but just in my coffee and sometimes on my yogurt...I love it!
  • Hairhacker
    Hairhacker Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I use NuNaturals brand stevia, it is by FAR the best!! If you haven't tried it give it a try. I use it in tea. I am from the south and we love our "sweet tea" here and you can't tell the difference when you add this! So good!
  • joannaorgovan
    joannaorgovan Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have but I can't get over the weird taste. I don't know how much longer I'll use it.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Of course there is a chemical process involved. I don't see any leaves stuffed in a box.

It depends on the brand you buy. I use the Sweetleaf brand. Go to their site & read up. They do NOT use chemicals, only a filtered water natural process.
  • Meadows_Mommy05
    Options
    I use Stevia and I won't go back to sugar. It took a lil bit to get used to it. But the less Sugar you eat the easier it is to get used to the Stevia!! I use it in my oats and buckwheat in the morning. I don't drink coffee, I haven't tried it in baking yet.
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I use nu-naturals Nu-Stevia in everything. I found out the hard way the chemicals in Splenda affects my respiratory system as it left me gasping for air. Did you know Splenda formula was intended as insecticide. Just look it up on the internet. If you want to kill ants I hear it does a great job. I believe people will find out years from now it is not a harmless sweetener at least my body has the warning signs. Stevia is all natural comes from a leaf. A poster says she eats it as a leaf. I have tried many brands but for me nu-naturals is my preferred one. I am having it in tea right now and the best part no calories or carbs. Caviler chocolate bar is sweetened with Stevia. Jay Robb Whey Protein Shake is also. I chose Jay Robb not only because everything in his Whey Protein shakes is organic and sweetened with Stevia and tastes like a desert.
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I use NuNaturals brand stevia, it is by FAR the best!! If you haven't tried it give it a try. I use it in tea. I am from the south and we love our "sweet tea" here and you can't tell the difference when you add this! So good!

This ^^^^
    I did not read your post before I posted. We have this in common and I agree it is the best tasting no bitter aftertaste.
  • Farburnfred
    Farburnfred Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I have some and have used it in stewing fruits and it's worked very well with no 'taste'. I am aware that the purer the form the better but as I am using about 2 teaspoons a week I am not too concerned!
  • StormyLlewellyn
    Options
    I really like Sweet Leaf Sweet Drops
    They come in flavors like
    Vannila Creme, Hazelnut and Peppermint + many other Flavors...
    and are all Natural and Organic.
    So No more artificial sweetener types like Splenda (sucralose), Sweet'N Low (saccharin), Equal and NutraSweet (aspartame), acesulfame K and neotame for me..
    Other Stevia's in the past had a funny aftertaste.
  • DominiqueSmall
    DominiqueSmall Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I have for years!
  • DominiqueSmall
    DominiqueSmall Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Of course there is a chemical process involved. I don't see any leaves stuffed in a box.

It depends on the brand you buy. I use the Sweetleaf brand. Go to their site & read up. They do NOT use chemicals, only a filtered water natural process.

^^^^ I did not know that! I love their Stevia. Now I know why!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Does anybody here use stevia!????? I love it, but I don't know anybody else that uses it.
    ARE you kidding? It's my secret weapon!
    Use it all the time:)
  • RCS17
    RCS17 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Stuff literally came from Heaven, lol. It's amazing, and the BEST sweetener EVER :D