I feel like I am eating more than I do normally ...

Options
Hi all,
My calories were originally set at 1200 but I have lowered them to 1000.
I have read other posts and it says you should eat the calories you burn in exercise but when I was doing that I might as well have not been on a diet ... and the weight wasn't moving.
I have tried to lower the calories but it still seems like I am eating alot! Ok .. I am not eating the sweet things or many carbs and the food I am eating is a lot more healthy but seriously ... I am eating a lot!
Please help!

Replies

• AV1978az
    AV1978az Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You need to make your food diary public so we can see what you are eating. Also need to see your exercise patterns.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    not a soul. can help you unless your foods & exercise are open. You could SAY you are eating 1000 calories, but no one knows.

Edited to say (i missed this the first time) MFP wont allow you to "lower" your calories to 1000.. 1200 is the minimum. Just FYI.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    1000 calories is not 'a lot'

eat more.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    I just have to add that you joined in March 2012, and havent lost a pound.. plus you havent even filled out your profile.

Sounds to me as if you arent really trying. There is NO reason you havent lost a pound since march.. i mean.. come on! Get serious, then come talk to us!
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I just have to add that you joined in March 2012, and havent lost a pound.. plus you havent even filled out your profile.

Sounds to me as if you arent really trying. There is NO reason you havent lost a pound since march.. i mean.. come on! Get serious, then come talk to us!

Really? Some people are on this site simply to use MFP as a diary tool to help lose weight and are not in for the blogs and public profile stuff. The OP is asking for help, try being helpful instead of judgmental.
  • AV1978az
    Options

Really? Some people are on this site simply to use MFP as a diary tool to help lose weight and are not in for the blogs and public profile stuff. The OP is asking for help, try being helpful instead of judgmental.

This ^
  • fannytoot
    fannytoot Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Wow evilonerider harsh ...some people do struggle I thought this sort of forum was for a bit of support not to make people feel rubbish about themselves!
  • lucy300689
    Options
    I thought the message boards were to help people not make them feel worse! Just cos I don't have the time to sit on here all day uploading stuff and updating stuff. I use MFP on my phone so don't have access to all of the other bits like about me ect. When I joint I wasn't asked to do all of this. I joint a long time ago and keep coming back to MFP and then not using it for a while! I think I have now made all of my information public - although I havn't completed all of the fields at the moment. I would like to point out that I did lose almost a stone at one point so I don't really see how someone that doesn't know me can say I havn't tried! Anyway ... if people can support me constructivly it would be much appreciated!! Also I have always set my calories at 1000 so MFP does allow you to do it!!
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    My calories were originally set at 1200 but I have lowered them to 1000.
    I have read other posts and it says you should eat the calories you burn in exercise but when I was doing that I might as well have not been on a diet ... and the weight wasn't moving.
    I have tried to lower the calories but it still seems like I am eating alot! Ok .. I am not eating the sweet things or many carbs and the food I am eating is a lot more healthy but seriously ... I am eating a lot!
    Please help!

As a few others have said, not being able to see your food and exercise diary makes it very hard to know how to help. Not knowing your height, weight, age and goal weight is also a difficulty. I will say that for near 99% of people, 1000 calories a day is not nearly enough. If you don't want to publicly show your height, current weight and age, what is your BMR? Remember that BMR as calculated is a close estimate of what your body will burn to maintain itself for the day without any physical activity....basically life support. Unless you're in the morbidly obese category and eating at a very small calorie intake under direct doctor supervision, eating below your BMR is not recommended. How much water do you drink on an average day? Water does wonders for the body, not just hydration.
  • lucy300689
    Options
    Thanks for the tips!!
    I have now made my profile public.
    I currently weigh 123 pounds ...
    My BMI says I should be between 91 - 123.5
    My BMR says 1219 calories.
    Looking at my meal plan today I am eating more food than I would do on a normal day - although I suppose the food I would normally eat would be not very good.
    Taking today for example:

What I am actually having -
    Breakfast - 1 weetabix, 50ml semi skimmed milk, 1 teaspoon sweetner
    Lunch - 100g couscous, with grilled bacon, red peppers and red onion
    Dinner - 1 x chicken breast with a small amount of BBQ sauce, 150g cabbage and 200g carrots (which is a lot)
    ONLY WATER

What I would usually eat -
    Breakfast - none
    Lunch - 6'' Turkey Breast & Ham subway with lots of salad and mayo, fizzy drink
    Dinner - 1 x chicken breast with a small amount of BBQ sauce, 150g cabbage, 100g carrots and 100 - 150g fries/something potato

I still have 57 calories remaining of my 1000 calorie restriction and I can't see myself wanting to eat more than that! If I add in the calories I am going to burn on my exercise would mean I can eat even more ?!?!?!
  • AV1978az
    Options
    Thanks for the tips!!
    I have now made my profile public.
    I currently weigh 123 pounds ...
    My BMI says I should be between 91 - 123.5
    My BMR says 1219 calories.
    Looking at my meal plan today I am eating more food than I would do on a normal day - although I suppose the food I would normally eat would be not very good.
    Taking today for example:

What I am actually having -
    Breakfast - 1 weetabix, 50ml semi skimmed milk, 1 teaspoon sweetner
    Lunch - 100g couscous, with grilled bacon, red peppers and red onion
    Dinner - 1 x chicken breast with a small amount of BBQ sauce, 150g cabbage and 200g carrots (which is a lot)
    ONLY WATER

What I would usually eat -
    Breakfast - none
    Lunch - 6'' Turkey Breast & Ham subway with lots of salad and mayo, fizzy drink
    Dinner - 1 x chicken breast with a small amount of BBQ sauce, 150g cabbage, 100g carrots and 100 - 150g fries/something potato

I still have 57 calories remaining of my 1000 calorie restriction and I can't see myself wanting to eat more than that! If I add in the calories I am going to burn on my exercise would mean I can eat even more ?!?!?!

Your Food Diary and Exercise is still not public. That being said. Have to cut out the Soda (Fizzy) and the complex sugars. I suspect what's happening is you are eating foods high in sugar. BBQ Sauce, the sweetner, carrots, fries, potatoes, just as an example are all heavy carb, complex sugar items.

Even if you are at your goal of 1000 calories which is low, those hard to digest and remove carbs/sugars are going to keep you from losing weight.

Subway isnt really the answer either. Do you have a fresh and easy near by? I used to love subway, till i figured out their bread was all kinds of bad.

What i did was replicate and replace with the following.

1/2 Sheet Lavish Whole Grain
    1 Laughing Cow Swiss Cheese
    2 Slices Light Sliced Turkey Breast in Water
    2 Slices Light Sliced Ham in Water
    Cucumber Slices
    Spinach 1/2 cup
    1 Tsp Honey Mustard

That right there is about 200 calories and *MAYBE* 15 carbs total rough estimate

Way healthier option for you and your body will stay fuller longer on it as its high in protein, not fat and calories.

If you are going to eat veggies, consider the veggie you are sticking in your stomach.

Carrots, Corn, all bad choices in terms of carbs and how long it will stick around in your body.
  • table9tom
    table9tom Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I find that the weight moves more when i regularly have something for breakfast. something about letting the body know its ok the start burning fat again (apparently). but does seem to be true for me.