I don't feel like I'm losing weight :(

So today was my weigh in and I was really excited to see if I lost weight, but instead I actually put on a lb, does anyone know the reason for it?
I'm 5'3 and 122lbs, I stay in my calories (1200) and try to eat fruit and vegetables more and have the occasional treat. I exercise 3 times a week for 35 minutes.. please help me? I already feel discouraged by my first weigh in :(

Replies

• creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    how long have you been doing this? body composition wont change rapidly its accomplished by change over time, its a marathon not a sprint. I cant see your diary so I cant look at your nutrition. the type of exercise your doing is going to matter as well so theres not enough information on that either, 35 minutes of walking is a lot different than say...15 minutes of HIIT followed by some weights for 20 minutes. also your only 5-3 122 lbs so Im assuming your in decent shape as it is, as you start to get to the last few pounds of body fat it becomes quite more difficult to get rid of it.
  • overall i've been doing this for at least a month, i've definitely gained muscle but i do have a lot of fat above it, I do 35 minutes of Jillian michaels videos and I've just started the insanity challenge
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    You're already at a healthy weight for your height, so weight loss will be slow. Actual loss of pounds might not even be necessary. Your best bet would be to set your goal to .5 pounds a week, eat most of your exercise calories, make sure you're getting some strength training, not just cardio, and toss the scale out the frickin' window. Track your progress through measurements, how clothes fit and by photos.

Blog post on why the scale sucks: http://www.isthisbliss.com/101-reasons-to-ditch-the-scale/

Photographic evidence why the scale sucks:

bikini-front-copy.jpg

You should be eating more. I'm almost twice your age, and I lost my weight eating a total of 1800-2000+ calories a day. There is no need to eat so little.
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    I would suggest taking your measurements. This week I've not lost on my "scale" but I've lost inches.
  • hi I felt exactly the same. Doing the right thing and not seeing the results for ages. Then suddenly it happened. I've had two caesareans and thought that I'd never get my belly flat again and that there would always be that overhang above the scar, but in the past few weeks my bellys becoming toned and that overhang has lifted. Totally amazed, Hard work will be rewarded dont give up. x
  • Don't worry about it! Your weight can go up & down 3 pounds everyday :)
  • uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372 Member
    You're already at a pretty low weight, and a healthy one for your height, so weight loss will probably be slow. I'd try upping your exercise (though I see you just started Insanity, so that will probably help). Good luck!
  • what do you all suggest i set my calories to?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    what do you all suggest i set my calories to?

One way... follow the instructions on this page: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/717565-in-place-of-a-road-map and join this group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8017-in-place-of-a-road-map

If that seems too confusing, go to your goals page http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals and change your weekly goal to lose a half pound a week, and eat most of your exercise calories.
  • med2017
    med2017 Posts: 192 Member
    the body starts burning stored fat after 45 minutes of work out. thats why its important to do it for a longer time. maybe switch your diet up? dont always eat the same thing or do the same exercises?
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    the body starts burning stored fat after 45 minutes of work out. thats why its important to do it for a longer time. maybe switch your diet up? dont always eat the same thing or do the same exercises?

20 minutes....the body will oxidize fat as a fuel source during aerobic (with oxygen) activity after 20 minutes. but your right that the longer you go the more you will teach your body to rely on fat as a fuel source. however the body will always use its faster systems, marathon runners will stop dead in their tracks deep into the race because they run out of glucose to support their nervous system we call it "hitting the wall" so no matter what our bodies use glucose and muscle glycogen. but fatty acids will oxidize best during aerobic opposed to anaerobic activity lasting longer than 20 minutes
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    You are actually a good weight for your height (your current weight is my goal weigh and I'm 5f 2' lol) so weight loss will be slower.

I would suggest weight training as maybe you need more toning now rather than weight loss.

Try taking your measurements and some progress photos.

Hope this help's, don't be discouraged, it all take time :-)
  • med2017
    med2017 Posts: 192 Member

20 minutes....the body will oxidize fat as a fuel source during aerobic (with oxygen) activity after 20 minutes. but your right that the longer you go the more you will teach your body to rely on fat as a fuel source. however the body will always use its faster systems, marathon runners will stop dead in their tracks deep into the race because they run out of glucose to support their nervous system we call it "hitting the wall" so no matter what our bodies use glucose and muscle glycogen. but fatty acids will oxidize best during aerobic opposed to anaerobic activity lasting longer than 20 minutes

yep agreed 100 percent :)
  • I couldnt even tell I had lost weight until I lost about 30pounds
  • The whole weightloss thing isn't something set in stone where if you do this amount of exercise and eat this type of food then you are guaranteed this amount of weightloss. It does not work that way. Life isn't meant to be easy. It is a challenge so that we push ourselves as human begins to create the best version of ourselves possible.

I understand where you are coming from. Most people who use this program would have been in your place or are currently in your place. Everyone goes through it.

You put in enough work but you aren't seeing the results. That doesn't mean you should give up. It just means your body needs a little bit more time to process the transition of what you were eating to what you are eating, and from what you weren't doing in relation to exercise to what you are doing in relation to exercise.

Also, it works the opposite way. Some days I wake up feeling heavier then the day before. I wake up terrified to look at the number on the scales thinking that I must have done something wrong the previous day. But then I hop on the scales and I get the shock of my life seeing that I have lost weight. It's a great feeling and also quite a suprising one.

I don't really think anyone can 'feel' if they have lost weight. I certainly know I can't from personal experience. Some days I'll feel like I'm lighter then I was the previous day but that isn't the case. And other days I'll feel as if I am heavier, but in fact it is the total opposite.

The main thing is if you keep up a consistency of having a healthy diet with involvement of exercise, YOU ARE BOUND TO SEE RESULTS SOONER OR LATER (: