Not as obsessed with calorie counting!!

Options
Hi everyone!

Just thought i'd let every know i've stopped become as obsessive with calorie counting!

It started when i got back from holiday 2 weeks ago and i only put on 3lbs. after a week of eating and drinking lots of alchohol, i felt the 3lb gain was worth it :)

Anyway that weight gain has come off now, i now feel that i should eat what i want but in moderation!!

When i first started MFP I was calorie counting the tomato ketchup and drinks at 1 calorie or less! it drove me mad!!

Now I sometimes miss days from my diary and eat mcdonalds once a week and feel so much better for it!
My weight loss has now stopped taking over my life! and i am still losing and mantaining me weight!

Has anyone got obsessed! or like me realised theres more to life :)

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Just thought i'd let every know i've stopped become as obsessive with calorie counting!

It started when i got back from holiday 2 weeks ago and i only put on 3lbs. after a week of eating and drinking lots of alchohol, i felt the 3lb gain was worth it :)

Anyway that weight gain has come off now, i now feel that i should eat what i want but in moderation!!

When i first started MFP I was calorie counting the tomato ketchup and drinks at 1 calorie or less! it drove me mad!!

Now I sometimes miss days from my diary and eat mcdonalds once a week and feel so much better for it!
    My weight loss has now stopped taking over my life! and i am still losing and mantaining me weight!

anyone else feel this way??

Yes and no.

If someone can count calories "most of the time" and incorporate periods or days where they don't count, and they can still manage to lose at a reasonable pace, then I think this is superior. It can quickly become mentally exhausting (and OCD) to meticulously track calories.

The other solution is to do as you're doing and track "most of your stuff" but not literally everything.

The problem that comes in is that many people can't do this successfully. People often under-report calorie intake and then post on the boards about how they can't lose weight at 1400 calories when they're really eating 2200 calories, they just don't know it. Whether that's poor tracking, failure to measure/weigh foods, etc.

In the end, a calorie deficit is a REQUIREMENT for losing non-water weight. You don't necessarily have to track the calories to be in a deficit, but it's probably a good idea to do so often enough to make sure.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i pretty much counted every calorie for nine months. everything. there were certain occasions that i guesstimated, like at friends houses or restaurants, but i was developing good eating habits.

now, i don't count calories as diligently as i used to, because i feel like i don't need to. my weight is very stable, i've been working out more diligently, and i know how to control my portions and cravings.
  • beckydunks
    beckydunks Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

anyone else feel this way??

Yes and no.

If someone can count calories "most of the time" and incorporate periods or days where they don't count, and they can still manage to lose at a reasonable pace, then I think this is superior. It can quickly become mentally exhausting (and OCD) to meticulously track calories.

The other solution is to do as you're doing and track "most of your stuff" but not literally everything.

The problem that comes in is that many people can't do this successfully. People often under-report calorie intake and then post on the boards about how they can't lose weight at 1400 calories when they're really eating 2200 calories, they just don't know it. Whether that's poor tracking, failure to measure/weigh foods, etc.

In the end, a calorie deficit is a REQUIREMENT for losing non-water weight. You don't necessarily have to track the calories to be in a deficit, but it's probably a good idea to do so often enough to make sure.

great advice This is what frame of mind i'm in at the moment, as long as i can lose and maintain my weight i really dont mind :)
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I've been pretty obsessive about tracking my carbs but now that I have a good idea of what works for me I reckon I could stop logging now.

If I eat pretty much what I do now (and don't go back to snacking on processed junk) then the calories will take care of themselves.

Not logging is the goal for me, get back to intuitive eating and all that.
  • Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    As I become more aware of portion sizes I don't always measure everything , but then I usually only eat back about half of my exercise calories , so if I missed posting something I am still under calorie count for the day... I try to be more careful on rest days when I don't have spare calories
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I've been pretty obsessive about tracking my carbs but now that I have a good idea of what works for me I reckon I could stop logging now.

If I eat pretty much what I do now (and don't go back to snacking on processed junk) then the calories will take care of themselves.

Not logging is the goal for me, get back to intuitive eating and all that.

Ditto.

I view logging as a temporary thing until I can sort of "recalibrate" my habits.

Historically, people didn't log onto the internet to keep track of what they were eating and somehow the average person was a healthy weight.