Over daily limit on protein?

Options
Is it much of a problem if I am over each day on protein? I like to have a big tuna salad for my lunch at work, and I use a full tin of tuna. According to MFP the tin I use has 36g of protein in it. And it gives 45g as my daily total. So I have added my breakfast and snacks and I am already over the 45g it recommends for the full day and I will no doubt have protein at dinner tonight.

It seems quite low at 45g. I currently weigh 212lb and am trying to lose weight. I am 5ft 4in. I previously did cardio 5 days a week but am changing this to 3 days with 2 days of strength training from this week.

Anyone have any advice please?

Replies

• skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. Protein levels vary for different people. I personally don't agree with setting it at the extreme high end unless a person is a serious bodybuilder but going over what mfp sets for you won't hurt. I usually go over.
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Actually I make it a point to get more protein than I'm allowed, every single day! It is the only way for me not to feel hungry throughout the day. I'm usually over on protein and fiber, and under on carbs, sodium, and fat. Seems to be working for me. At the end of the day, it's really the total calories that are important for weight loss. To be healthy, obviously, you want to try to hit all the major food groups.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    MFP sets a ridiculously low protein level as their default values. You can change it is you want but I think of it as the minimum you need. Many set their macros to 40% protien, 30% carb, 30% fat.
  • heddy90
    heddy90 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Said it before, and will say it again. The protein goal is NOT A LIMIT TO STAY UNDER! It's just a target to be reached, you should at least get that amount of protein in a day, and if you go over; GREAT :D
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    This is a big relief! Thank you!

I thought it was very low....
  • Brunner26_2
    Options
    Every 10 grams you go over = 1 extra pound of body fat.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    MFP's default protein goal is only 15% of your daily calories, so at best, it should be thought of as a minimum to pass instead of a maximum to stay under.

I aim for at least 100g a day, some days as much as 140g.
  • witchy_wife
    Options

What? How does that work?

So if I eat 65g of protein today instead of 45g I am going to gain 2lbs of body fat? No matter what exercise and calories I consume? I really don't understand that.....
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options

So if I eat 65g of protein today instead of 45g I am going to gain 2lbs of body fat? No matter what exercise and calories I consume? I really don't understand that.....

Not true! He's a troll! Go to his profile page and look at his other posts!
  • witchy_wife
    Options

Phew! LOL
  • Brunner26_2
    Options

Troll is a bit harsh. I just like to be silly from time to time. I can also be helpful too.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    You can adjust your macronutrient ratios under Settings. 45g protein is super low - I usually aim for twice that on a normal day and 2.5-3 times that on days I strength train. My goal is a 40/30/30 plan where I get 40% of my calories from protein, 30% from carbs, and 30% from fat.
  • Sam3622
    Sam3622 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    My Fitness Pals macros are a bit low for protein however i learned the bad way that too much protein is not great for you. I was consuming more than double the recommended daily amount of protein and kept my carbs really low whilst i was getting into shape for my holidays. (I went to the gym most days and did strength training).

But then i started to get really bad stomach pains, and ended up realising that i was taking in TOO much protein and it meant that my kidneys had to work extra hard to get it out of my body.

Have a look at this news article for more info...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/19449377
  • tubbyelmo
    tubbyelmo Posts: 415 Member
    Options

Well, that doesn't seem like a helpful comment to me, just saying!
  • IrishDaveRed
    IrishDaveRed Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    There is some evidence that a high protein intake can lead to an increased risk of age related diseases. An article I read suggested that for fully grown adults on maintenance protein should be 10%.

I have seen someone else on here, on a weightlifting thread, comment that one needs to make a choice between building bulk and protecting against age related diseases.

You can search on the internet for articles on the link.
  • Brunner26_2
    Options

Not every comment needs to be serious.
  • tlsmoore
    Options
    I've only been on here a week and every day was going over on my protein. I went to some trusted nutrition websites to look up info and agree with other folks who are saying that the protein goal MFP sets should be one to reach and surpass vs one to stay under. I was staying within limits of the other goals MFP set but now understand more about protein. Meet it and exceed it!
  • tubbyelmo
    tubbyelmo Posts: 415 Member
    Options

Not every comment needs to be serious.

Sadly some people desperate to shed the pounds might just take lighthearted comments as gospel truth, I guess I just think helpful replies make more sense . Add a smiley face when you're fooling about...
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    I've had several people tell me, after they had GB or Lap Band, that doctors told them to eat 70 grams of protein a day. I think MFP is set low, and for that reason I'm not tracking my protein. I'd rather watch my sugar, carbs, fiber, and sodium.
  • renegadecupid
    Options
    Think of it this way... the less protein you get, the more your body will metabolize both muscle and fat, protein shields the muscle in your body from being metabolized. The more the better, but don't go nuts with it because too much protein will put a serious strain on your kidneys to get rid of the excess.