Are you guaranteed to lose lean muscle mass w/o strength tra

Options
Are you guaranteed to lose lean muscle mass without strength training? Although I do cardio & stretching regularly, I just can't seem to get into weights right now. I probably would if I had access to a gym, but here at home I only have these tiny little 3.3 lb dumbells (which I was using in the beginning, but bored of quickly). I know that strength training would increase my metabolism and build lean muscle, but am I doing my body a terrible disservice by putting it off until I lose more weight? I hate the thought of losing lean tissue.

Replies

• free2roam66
    Options
    I had the same dilemma too. But I found some resistance bands at Wal-Mart that work really well instead of the dumbells. They come with a book and video to show you all of the exercises to do for each muscle group. I think the whole package was only around $15-20. I've been using them for about 3 months now and I can really tell the difference in the way my body looks. In my opinion the bands are a lot better than going to the gym. I hate the gym.
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    I TRULY believe in resistance training and if you can't afford a gym membership or weights please do check into the resistance bands! YES you will lose lean mass and you do not want to do that! I love working out and pumping iron. I have a small gym with all sized weights in my basement along with treadmill and an elliptical but I go to the gym for the variety and for some reason I push harder and heavier when I at the gym. BrendaLee I think you are a BEAUTIFUL woman and you are doing awesome, do not give up on yourself!!!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    You are going to lose lean mass no matter what, so I wouldn't get too hung up about it. IIRC from some of your past posts, you have some health issues so I am not sure how much "lean mass" you are going to add anyhow. Most people vastly overestimate how much "muscle" they are gaining, or have the potential to gain, from their routines. However, research I have seen has indicated that resistance training can have a beneficial effect even if there is no increase in lean mass.

We always need to be working within the the realm of what is possible and not fixate on what is ideal. My first rule of a fitness program is to focus on things that make you fit and healthy and only secondarily on weight loss. The more sedentary you are, the more crucial it is, IMO to engage in resistance training--at whatever level you can tolerate.

I think in your case, some resistance bands might work the best. I would also search the web for some lower-level body weight exercises. Again, "exercise training" occurs as long as you are consistently doing a little bit more than your current level.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. :)

I hopefully will be getting a Bowflex (old school version) tomorrow AM thanks to a disgruntled husband who is giving away all of his wife's unused exercise equipment (Bowflex, treadmill and a step machine). Her loss will be my...continued loss, I guess. :) I used one at the gym about 10 years ago, and loved it. I actually loved strength training back then...it was a lot easier before my fibromyaliga got so bad, but fibro or not, I still hope to get into it again.
  • CinthyNair
    Options
    Hey Brenda,
    You could use your own bodyweight as a resistance in strength training. Squats, Lunges, Push-ups are all using your body weight :wink:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

I hopefully will be getting a Bowflex (old school version) tomorrow AM thanks to a disgruntled husband who is giving away all of his wife's unused exercise equipment (Bowflex, treadmill and a step machine). Her loss will be my...continued loss, I guess. :) I used one at the gym about 10 years ago, and loved it. I actually loved strength training back then...it was a lot easier before my fibromyaliga got so bad, but fibro or not, I still hope to get into it again.

This may be the only time you ever see me say this in print, but I think the bowflex might work very well for you.
  • BrendaLee
    Options

This may be the only time you ever see me say this in print, but I think the bowflex might work very well for you.

lol So you don't think those amazing Bowflex transformations on the infomercials are legit? I'm pretty excited- they just delivered the equipment...wish it didn't have to be in the basement with the kitty litter boxes, but still excited. I'll be down there painting a sunny day on the walls tonight.
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    Good attitude!! I have a litter box in my basement too and I work out down there so yeeessss I change it probaly more than need be but you know what i mean!!! You can be our bowflex babe and post your now and in 6 weeks post another etc;; I am proud of you girl! And yes sunny yellow would be wonderfull in a basement!!! Have fun!!
  • BrendaLee
    Options
    Good attitude!! I have a litter box in my basement too and I work out down there so yeeessss I change it probaly more than need be but you know what i mean!!! You can be our bowflex babe and post your now and in 6 weeks post another etc;; I am proud of you girl! And yes sunny yellow would be wonderfull in a basement!!! Have fun!!

Your positivity is contagious! I have before and after pictures now at 50 pounds lost, but it'll be a while before I'm posting any online. :P Closer to the end of my journey, I'm going to blow everyone's minds though! lol