Stretchmarks, boo!

Options
This has probably been posted before, so I apologise for that >_<

I know it's almost impossible to get rid of stretchmarks, but has anyone found a cream that helps reduce their appearance? I have them all around my stomach, my thighs, even around my biceps.. I shouldn't be embarrased by them, but it's hard when they're huge and red! :cry:

I'm still young so I'm hoping they reduce over time along with weight :frown:

Replies

• 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I don't know of a special cream.

However, your stretch marks will fade over time and become far less noticeable. They fade to skin color/slightly silverish and are barely visible to anyone who isn't sending out a search party for them. I swear to you, I have pointed them out to boyfriends who still couldn't find them with a map, and none of my boyfriends were ever known for their tact. :embarassed:

So hang in there. They will get much, much better on their own.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Mederma can help accelerate the fading & lessening as with any scar. It is a scar tx cream. It won't make them disappear, just less noticeable.
  • Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Ive heard women rave about bio oil... Its meant to be brilliant with stretch marks and scars, havent tried it yet myself
  • SanjiSun
    SanjiSun Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have stretch marks myself... got them on my belly when I went from 215 to 225 pounds.
    Yes, when they are fresh , huge and red, it's not a pretty sight.
    But.. they will indeed fade over time, and once they are faded, the really aren't that bad anymore.
    I don't mind them at all now.
    I never tried out any creams or so, but give it a try with the suggestions made here.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I had a ton from my love handles to my belly, they are very light now, they don't look to bad. I've gone from 320 to 225.
  • dandaninc
    Options
    They will heal overtime. Your skin is amazing at healing itself. Drink lots of water and don't rush to lose weight. Be healthy about your weight loss. I have a bunch of stretch marks as well and I use them as motivation. The red will go away first. :smile:
  • dandaninc
    Options
    I had a ton from my love handles to my belly, they are very light now, they don't look to bad. I've gone from 320 to 225.

AND YOU ARE A BEAST SIR!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Bio Oil.

I've never had stretchmarks obvious enough to use a cream on but I used Bio Oil for some quite bad scars I had, it worked really well I thought! It's supposed to be better for stretchmarks than scars too so worth a try :smile:
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    though stretch marks may not disappear, i use lotions with shea and cocoa butter in them on my skin.
  • goldenday
    goldenday Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Try Palmers coco butter and it's not very pricey either!
  • Try Palmers coco butter and it's not very pricey either!
    Honey... those are your battle scars... and there for life. I'm going to a derm for mine next month, i'll let you know what she says. BTW, you can try ambi, coco butter, vit E, shea butter, coconut oil, and a loffa. I hear those things work...
  • KittyPulse
    Options
    Hi, So I have two tips to give you:)

1. While on your dieting journey, make sure to eat lots of apples because it helps with
    the elasticity of your skin, >>helps to tighten it while you lose weight>>You want this, believe me:)
    2. Bio-Oil is used for stretch marks and will help reduce them quite a bit.

I cant guarantee that they'll go away completely, but its something you'll have to use daily>>not
    something that will necessarily change over night... baby steps is what I say:)

All the best!!
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    All mine are white/silver coloured now - I look at them as a reminder I should never get to the size I did!! I've not used any creams or anything on them, they do just fade with time :-))
  • xSakura
    xSakura Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies, I'll look into the lotions you've suggested. I know they won't fade overnight but knowing the redness will at least go is reassuring :smile: x
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Stretchmarks are a fact of life. They are caused by growth spurts that your skin simply cannot keep up with. They are not only associated with pregnancy or fat (that is bad hype). I have four children and yes, I have stretchmarks...but so does my son who is super lean (and muscular).
    Oils and creams are mostly used as a preventative measure for pregnancy....but I have heard good things about mederma fading them. Time and good skin care will also do the trick. You are young and beautiful...don't worry about a couple of stretch marks.
    :flowerforyou:
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I'm 4 months pregnant, and I've not found anything that that makes the stretch marks better. Cocoa butter can help with the dryness and itchiness, but they don't look any less noticeable.
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Hi nickie :)
    I see you're in UK too! You can buy bio-oil on amazon.co.uk literally half the price of our lovely expensive leading high st chemist!
    I totally feel ya on the stretch marks. I've taken steroids for about a year in total, they actually cause stretchmarks by breaking up the dermis of the skin. They also made me pile on four stone of fat and fluid which worsened the stretch marks. Mine were horrendous from arms,all over body to behind knees. Worst on belly, boobs and upper thighs. I massaged with bio oil every day for six months and they faded from angry red to pale pink. Some even faded completely now too.
    Also, can i recommend the nivea q10 firming body lotion, it has made my skin so soft, smooth and helped with the elasticity too.best body lotion i've ever used by far!
    I was about your weight when i started out. Got about 44lb to go. Its tough but possible!
    Good luck :) feel free to add me x x
  • StormyLlewellyn
    Options
    Mederma, Cocoa Butter, Almond oil, Jergans stretch mark cream, Vitamine E oil.
    All work wonders...
    So does being kind to yourself.
    Sometimes Scars tell a story of where we have been and can be a reminder not to go back..
  • jumadey
    jumadey Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Ive heard women rave about bio oil... Its meant to be brilliant with stretch marks and scars, havent tried it yet myself

I use bio-oil (btw it's much cheaper from Amazon than Boots or Superdrug), and it's made a definite difference! Although they haven't disappeared completely, they've faded them considerably.
  • emmalouc93
    emmalouc93 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Bio Oil is actually good, it has faded mine a lot. Also, I scrub with sea salt....It won't get rid of them, but it does get rid of dull skin making them look better.

The more weight I lose, the better they look, too!