digital scales

Options
I thought I would buy some digital scales ( I have the dial type) and I tried about 10 different ones, each time I got back on they were a different weight. Is this normal? Plus they all told me a different number aswell. So whats the deal?

Replies

• MarshJulie1989
    Options
    I have a fairly hi-tech digital scale w/body fat monitor/bmi dealy, and I have totally noticed that foot placement makes about a half to a full pound difference. The closer my feet are to the center of the scale, the "skinnier" I am, the further out my feet are the "fatter" i am. it's really odd, but also sort of handy :)
  • CinthyNair
    Options
    Yes, i get that mixed reading at times too ... must be the pressure of our feet placement on the scale :grumble:
  • Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Options
    Mine is pretty consistant. I can get on and off of it five times in a row and I'll only be a tenth or two tenths different....maybe because it thinks I'm making up my own step class when I do that.

The one I have is a WW brand and I got it at Kmart.
  • butterfly25
    butterfly25 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    mind is always different ..this morning i went on the digital one and it had one weight than went on my other one thats not digital and it was lower...i cant make them out:grumble:
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I have the weight watchers scale (walmart $30 ish ) and it's consistent. I can hop on, I can carefully mount it, I can jump up and down on it... same reading everytime.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It's important that you get a scale that uses strain gauge technology, IMO. It's not that difficult to find, but not every digital scale uses it. I think the Weight Watcher scale does, as does the Taylor they are now selling at Costco. I bought an Eat Smart digital bathroom scale from Amazon for under $30 and it is dead on consistent.
  • Horseluver123
    Options
    It is said that your weight changes about 2 pounds a day from your bodily changes. Good luck on finding a scale that work for you!:smile:
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    It is said that your weight changes about 2 pounds a day from your bodily changes. Good luck on finding a scale that work for you!:smile:

I think they mean that within a two minute period, they can get on and off the scale and have a different number show up every time.

I've found that with my scale, too. I'll weigh myself and go, "That can't be right!" So I'll get off, get back on, and I'll get the right weight. I have learned that I just have to stand on it the same way every time.