ammonia smell during workout (walking with some running)?

Options
2»

Replies

• algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    It is perfectly normal to have an ammonia smell when you are working out AND not hydrating sufficiently AND not taking in enough of the right carbs to support the energy cycle. Think of it as an early warning system.

I had the same problem on my long runs and rides, and it would be bad enough to burn my eyes before I could strip the sweaty nasty workout clothes off. The problem was solved by simply using one of those Powerbar gel packs with a few gulps of water every 30 minutes or so for my harder workouts.
  • algebravoodoo
    Options
    When too much nitrogen is present in your system, your body depends on the kidneys to process the excess nitrogen. This process creates urea, which can then be expelled through your urine. However, when there is too much for the kidneys to even process, then the excess nitrogen is secreted as ammonia through your sweat. When you exercise and sweat at a greater rate than normal, enough ammonia escapes for you to actually smell it.

To treat the ammonia smell in your sweat, switch your diet to consume more carbohydrates. Your body's first choice for energy is typically carbohydrates. When you consume enough carbohydrate sources, your body is less likely to use amino acids from protein to create energy, reducing the amount of nitrogen produced in your body. Choose complex carbohydrate sources such as legumes or whole grain breads or cereals.

Best explanation yet! Thanks!!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    When too much nitrogen is present in your system, your body depends on the kidneys to process the excess nitrogen. This process creates urea, which can then be expelled through your urine. However, when there is too much for the kidneys to even process, then the excess nitrogen is secreted as ammonia through your sweat. When you exercise and sweat at a greater rate than normal, enough ammonia escapes for you to actually smell it.

To treat the ammonia smell in your sweat, switch your diet to consume more carbohydrates. Your body's first choice for energy is typically carbohydrates. When you consume enough carbohydrate sources, your body is less likely to use amino acids from protein to create energy, reducing the amount of nitrogen produced in your body. Choose complex carbohydrate sources such as legumes or whole grain breads or cereals.

Can you fill in the middle for those of us less educated on how, what and when the body metabolizes certain things?

If I'm reading between the lines correctly, nitrogen is a by product of the use of amino acids for energy? Amino acids come from the break down of protein, which happens when there isn't enough what? glucose? Whatever it is, it's the energy component of carbs?

Is that right?
  • algebravoodoo
    Options
    When there is insufficient carbohydrate to support glucose production, the body will begin to rely on amino acids (not to be confused with muscle tissue) to keep energy flowing. So, yeah, you summed it up in a nutshell.

While adding more and better quality carbs to the diet to restore the balance, timing is another factor to be considered. Right before a workout may not be the best time to swallow something loaded with fiber. Look at something lower fiber that is sweetened with honey, which contains a good mixture of faster and slower sugars (refering to how quickly they hit your bloodstream) or just stir some into a spoon of peanut butter. Portable for a long run.
  • elysecea
    elysecea Posts: 161 Member
    Options

This happened to me today and I have read about it as well...This morning I had oatmeal with nuts and dried bluberries...that is high carb and I still smelled like amonia :(
  • algebravoodoo
    Options

This happened to me today and I have read about it as well...This morning I had oatmeal with nuts and dried bluberries...that is high carb and I still smelled like amonia :(

Then look at your water intake. You may not be getting enough to keep up with your workout, even though you are drinking plenty overall.
  • tobd55
    tobd55 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Eat more carbs. Drink more water.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

Pretty much this. What you are smelling is often referred to as "the smell of keto", and generally seems to occur when people with a lower BF% are on a restricted carb diet. It's my understanding, that highly overweight people won't experience this smell, even in extremely low carb diets, due to their bodies having plenty of stored energy, and not needing to turn to aminos for such. I personally have yet to experience it, even at less than 40g carbs per day, but I am also still a tankass at 20% BF.
  • algebravoodoo
    Options

Pretty much this. What you are smelling is often referred to as "the smell of keto", and generally seems to occur when people with a lower BF% are on a restricted carb diet. It's my understanding, that highly overweight people won't experience this smell, even in extremely low carb diets, due to their bodies having plenty of stored energy, and not needing to turn to aminos for such. I personally have yet to experience it, even at less than 40g carbs per day, but I am also still a tankass at 20% BF.

Oh, yes, an overweight, nay, morbidly obese person can indeed enjoy this aromatic experience. Promise. I have had this happen back when I was still well over 250, having forgotten to eat before going for a long, strenuous walk. May not happen as often, and may need a lot more deprivation to get there, but it happens.