Easy/Healthy Eggplant recipe??

Options
grover0ca
grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
I just bought an eggplant for the first time..I have searched the net but all the recipes I am finding seem to be deep fried or covered in cheese.

Do you have a healthy recipe you could share with me?

Replies

• sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    This one is super YUM! Roasted Eggplant and Feta

3 medium eggplant (I used one big one), unpeeled and cubed
    1.5 cup EVOO
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    1/4 cup minced red onion
    3 cloves garlic minced
    2 T oregano
    salt and pepper to taste
    1# feta cheese crumbled
    1/2 cup olives, pitted (Calamata)
    2 bunches spinach

Preheat oven 400 degrees. Place eggplant cubes in shallow baking pan; toss with 3/4 cup olive oil, salt to taste, bake until cubes are soft but not mushy, about 30 mins. Set aside to cool. Whisk together the remaining 3/4 cup olive oil, lemon juice, onion, garlic, and oregano. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Toss about half the dressing with eggplant. Arrange on bed of spinach. Sprinkle with cheese and olives, drizzle with remaining dressing.
  • judcost
    judcost Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Simple, just grill them on the bbq with zucchinis and green pepers with a drizzle of olive oil and pinches of herbs. Great dish to eat with bbq grilled fish or chicken breasts.
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I slice them into 1/2 or 3/4 inch slices, spread with a little bit of green pesto and then grill. So delicious. As a vegetarian, I often have this when others are having beef burgers!
  • PAZ1315
    Options
    I just tried this recently. I modified a recipe that I found on line. It is very filling.

Chicken & Eggplant Casserole
    Makes 6 servings - 339 calories per serving

2 medium eggplant, cubed
    2 Small onions, chopped
    1 small container (15 oz.) Sargento part skim Ricotta cheese
    1 7 oz. container Greek yogurt
    2 eggs or ½ cup egg beaters
    24 oz. tomato sauce with basil and garlic (can go lighter on this…don’t need all)
    16 oz. cooked ground chicken breast
    pinch of nutmeg (or to taste)
    salt and pepper to taste
    8 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese

Heat a skillet over medium heat.

Spray with vegetable cooking spray and immediately add eggplant and onion. Cook and stir until onion is soft. Set aside. Brown chicken.

Place in a large bowl and add all other ingredients (excluding ricotta, Greek yogurt, eggs and nutmeg) plus 5 tbsp. Parmesan cheese. Mix well.

Pour into a casserole dish that has been sprayed with vegetable spray.

Beat eggs. Add ricotta and Greek yogurt, plus pinch of nutmeg. Pour over top of casserole. Sprinkle with 3 tbsp. shredded Parmesan cheese.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 min to an hour until top begins to brown.
  • Scandinavia
    Scandinavia Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Really simple, but it's what I had for dinner tonight!

1. Wash off the eggplant and preheat oven to 425.
    2. Pierce holes in the eggplant and set whole directly on the rack.
    3. Turn eggplant every 20 minutes for an hour.

That's it! Super good, and all I added was a tsp of mustard at the end.
  • amesdawgs
    Options
    Baba Ganoush is wonderful - look for recipe online
  • alibean
    alibean Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Peel the skin off and cube eggplants. Sautee in a bit of olive oil with sliced onion and some black olives. When it starts to get soft, add a small can of tomato sauce, a tablespoon of red wine vinegar and a pinch of sugar. Great as a side dish or on top of pasta or rice. Sort of a cross between a ratatoulle and a caponata.
  • grover0ca
    grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    thanks...so many great ideas to try!