Low Protein/Plant-Based Diet ?

2»

Replies

• wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    My question is, do I need to increase my protein to continue this workout routine, or is a more plant-based diet still going to work for me? Any suggestions?

I'm trying to firm up. I'm beginning a workout routine where
    M - dance team practice, 2 hours
    Tu - weight room, 30 min; rock climbing, 1 hour; dance team, 2 hours
    W - dance team, 2 hours
    Th - weight room, 30 min
    Fri - rest
    Sat - weight room, 30 min
    Sun - low impact cardio (ie swimming), 1 hour

I can't do many exercises such as running because they build the wrong muscles for dance team.

Right now, my diet is higher carb, mostly coming from raw fruit and veg. I have little dairy (but get my calcium requirement with almond milk). I don't like meat and don't want to drastically increase its contents.

Any suggestions would be great!

The US RDA for protein is 0.8g/kg/day or minimum of 46g/day for women, so, yes, I think you should increase your protein to at least this level, not just for the workout but for general health. Beans, soy products, seitan, eggs and protein powder are all good, low-cal, easy ways to do it.
  • That's super helpful, thank you.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    You don't need to eat "protein" to get Protein. Protein is made up of nutrients that ARE NOT protein...Amino Acids. You get these Nutrients from Plant based foods. Check it out with Scientist that KNOW...google.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Don't mean to hyjack, but do you ever get too much fiber problems? I suspect I might be having some, and was wondering if you had any tips for how to not while eating more frutis, veggies, and beans
    IF you are consistently getting a lot of fiber every day, whereas before you were not, it takes the average person about 2 weeks for their innards to get used to the extra fiber and to settle down. Worked that way for me.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    I love roasted chickpeas, there full of protien ,fiber and healthy fats.

Prheat oven to 400
    1 Can of chickpeas drained and rinsed
    1 Table spoon brown sugar
    1 Table spoon chili powder
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 Teaspoon olive oil
    You can use what ever seasonings you like but those are my fav for a spicy sweet combo. After you rinse the chickpeas place in a bowl and mix with olive oil and seasonings . Place chick peas on a peice of parchment paper in an oven pan then bake for about 30 minutes.

Thanks for this! Have been trying to think of things to do with chikpeas.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    As a female athlete in dance, please ensure you are truly eating enough as there is a significant percentage in your group with eating disorders which leads to very serious long-term health issues. You girls burn a tremendous amount of calories due to the duration and intensity of your practices. If your goal is to lower body fat percentage, estimate your BMR and TDEE then deduct that number by 20-25% at most to establish a deficit. That deficit, btw, is the sum from eating less and exercise calories.

If you have an Asian Market near you, buy green Mung Beans. They typically have 30g of protein and 45g of carbs per 1/2 cup dry. Just make sure your carb sources have high amounts of protein.
  • As a female athlete in dance, please ensure you are truly eating enough as there is a significant percentage in your group with eating disorders which leads to very serious long-term health issues. You girls burn a tremendous amount of calories due to the duration and intensity of your practices. If your goal is to lower body fat percentage, estimate your BMR and TDEE then deduct that number by 20-25% at most to establish a deficit. That deficit, btw, is the sum from eating less and exercise calories.

If you have an Asian Market near you, buy green Mung Beans. They typically have 30g of protein and 45g of carbs per 1/2 cup dry. Just make sure your carb sources have high amounts of protein.

I'm actually one of the few girls on the team who DOES eat...and I'm maintaining around 125 lb, with 20% body fat at 5'3" - very much in the healthy range. I just wanted some advice on nutrition changes with weight lifting added to the mix - but I appreciate the concern :)

Thanks everyone for the ideas - I'm definitely going to try the pea protein powder.