Net Calories

Hi,

I am completely new to this and am just after some advice.

I have been eating on average 1800 calories per day and have been burning on average 1100 a day doing exercise. This is giving me an average net of 500 calories a day.

Is this too little and will i be putting myself into 'starvation' mode?

I am losing weight doing this.

Many thanks

Replies

• It really depends on what activities you are doing, what foods you are eating, your height, weight, age, BMR, if you are trying to lose/gain/maintain....

If you are trying to lose, weight loss is 70% diet. In my experience, I lose more when I eat a little less and exercise a little less.

i.e. if your BMR is 1400, you could eat 1300 and "burn off" 400.

It's all about what works for you - but if you are eating more than your BMR your body is probably not in starvation mode.
  • Retiredmom72
    Retiredmom72 Posts: 538 Member
    Are you tracking your food and then adding your exercise? The tracker will give you your net calories. How many calories are you supposed to eat? I am new to this, but if you are saying that you only use 500 calories then you may be putting yourself in starvation mode. Look at your tracker and the number of calories left should be as close to 0 as possible.
  • Yeah I am tracking all of my food and exercise. I always have over 1000 calories remaining. I am trying to lose weight and I feel like I am eating enough but I want to do it the right way.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    Yes it is too little if you calorie burn is correct. If you looked at how MFP works reading the pinned topics you would find that your calorie goal does not include your intended exercise, but does already include the calorie deficit needed to lose at your goal rate per week. If you exercise that deficit gets bigger. That sounds good in some ways, but in reality while it may lead to some short term losses, in the long run it will slow or even stop your progress with very long plateaus. So if you want to follow this site as designed eat your exercise calories.

The other option you have is to set your calories manually including your intended exercise using this http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/682138-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12?hl=in+place+of+a+road+map It works quite well.
  • lilwhitedove11
    lilwhitedove11 Posts: 5 Member
    I need some advice.. Please.
    I notice that my food log shows : calories, carbs, fats, proteins.
    Is it okay to have a low count on proteins?
    I notice most of my higher numbers are in carbs, and the fats
    and proteins are pretty low, daily. I am on medication for
    cholesteral, although my total cholesteral is just 164.
    Thank you,
    christine:happy: