100 mile cycle

Options
2»

Replies

• iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your amazing accomplishment! That takes a lot of determination, bravery and dedication!
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Your story is inspiring & brought tears to my eyes! ! Kudos to you for sticking to your dream !!!
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, what you have all said has really meant a lot to me. Things started coming back to me last night as well - how I was playing tortoise and the hare with a couple of people one of which was in full union jack regalia, I have a lot of respect for you. I found out my friend got knocked off her bike by a car into a bush of nettles but although both cars didn't stop she was fortunately ok - I can't believe the cars didn't stop!

How I managed to drink 6 litres of water and only have to 'go' once - I really underestimated the importance of water but I am so glad I filled up at every chance I got.

Cycling through the country with a real nasty smell getting stronger and thinking 'man is that me?' then passing through the middle of a dairy farm releived that I wasn't going to have to sit in the car humming!

My smile when I finished was so much wider than when I started and the ache in my legs over that last three miles was completely lifted and refreshed.

How soft, big and comfy that car seat felt when I sat down it was heavenly but I felt so low to the ground after being on a bike for so long.

Eating a hot pork sandwich in a steamy salt bath at the end of the day because all I wanted to do was eat, bathe and sleep, if I could have slept in the bath without the fear of drowning I would have.

The thought that, I think I will do this again next year that kept boucning around my head because now I have a time to beat :wink:
  • slim_photographer
    slim_photographer Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Nice work! I hope one day to do something like this.
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Cycling through the country with a real nasty smell getting stronger and thinking 'man is that me?' then passing through the middle of a dairy farm releived that I wasn't going to have to sit in the car humming!

My smile when I finished was so much wider than when I started and the ache in my legs over that last three miles was completely lifted and refreshed.

How soft, big and comfy that car seat felt when I sat down it was heavenly but I felt so low to the ground after being on a bike for so long.

Eating a hot pork sandwich in a steamy salt bath at the end of the day because all I wanted to do was eat, bathe and sleep, if I could have slept in the bath without the fear of drowning I would have.

The thought that, I think I will do this again next year that kept boucning around my head because now I have a time to beat :wink:

Be very careful this can become very addictive, do not look up AudaxUK in a search engine as there you will find regular 100 mile rides all over the country.

An addict
  • Catskillet
    Catskillet Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    ...great story--very well told, and inspiring to say the least. I'm sure that will always be one of the greatest accomplishments of your life...and of course, now you know that with the kind of will power you possess...you can do just about anything if you just set your mind to it. I don't know where you live, but I'm a reporter for a local little newspaper.... and that is the kind of story that our readers eat right up! ...(no pun intended) You should think about revising your story just a little and submitting it...think of how many more people you could inspire.

p.s.--your wife is awesome too!
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    To do a century on a mountain bike, you need help!!
    But you are the man.
    Well done, I rode 47 miles a few weeks ago and my man jewels felt every bump for the last 10 miles.
    Get some semi-slicks for them there wheels for your next long ride. £22 a pair on eBay. They help no end on the roads, and will save you energy and time. (I saved 90 second on my 8.8 mile ride to work)
  • mruntidy
    Options
    @Marmitegeoff - I think I might just do another one you know :happy:
    @Catskillet - really, I thought it was a jumble of ramblings but that sounds pretty good to me :laugh:
    @tadpole242 - I certainly got some looks from people when I cycled into the first refreshment stop and dropped it on it's side with some beastly tyres on it - slicks are def the way to go next time I think - it took a lot of grunt getting through it

I forgot to say I felt like I was in Hansel and Gretle at one point following a trail of discarded energy shot packets left by the front runners on the road
  • faengel
    Options
    You have a lot to be proud of. You are an inspiration to all of us. Thanks for sharing your journey!
  • mruntidy
    Options
    hmmm if this is easier with slicks on I am wondering how much I can shave off next year in that case - and with a fixed frame bike as well or at least one I can lock out, someone else mentioned it was wasted energy where there is suspension on the frame
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    hmmm if this is easier with slicks on I am wondering how much I can shave off next year in that case - and with a fixed frame bike as well or at least one I can lock out, someone else mentioned it was wasted energy where there is suspension on the frame
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3-id_8167038.html#more_infos
    comes with slick fitted
  • lilpe5512
    lilpe5512 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Great job! You are such and inspiration! I was so moved by your story! You rock!
  • RawTriGal
    RawTriGal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    magnificent and well told! congratulations. you CAN do ANYTHING!
  • BonJody
    BonJody Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have so much respect, man. That is one heck of an accomplishment, especially on a mountain bike! Are you nuts!?! LOL.

As has been suggested, get some slicks for your mountain bike or, do yourself a favor, and buy a road bike for the next century! This particular story is so awesome it should fall into that once-in-a-lifetime category!

I especially loved the part about looking down and finding a new nut for your bike. Neat stuff there, and I do believe your grandma had something to do with it!

Congrats again!
  • catkid
    Options
    Great story! very inspirational.

It's very awesome that you found a crank nut, it makes me believe some unseen forces were at work.

Did you see any of the people you gave you raised eyebrows afterwards? It's a great feeling proving people wrong.
  • dimoul
    dimoul Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! You know, many people ride mountain bikes and other non-road bikes in the MS150 ride from Houston to Austin, Texas. As you have shown, it's possible to go long distances on a mountain bike with off-road tires, but 100 miles on the road would have been much more enjoyable on a road bike. You should give it a try.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    100 miles on a mountain bike... :noway:

Awesome job! Congratulations!
  • mruntidy
    Options
    @BonJody - that nut about saved my ride, i literally stared at it for what seemed like forever thinking 'noooooooooo you have to be kidding'

Ok so next time i think i will try not to actually look nuts on a mountain bike doing this ride especially as delirium set in at about 60miles whilst DJ'ing on imaginary decks to my music :laugh:

If anything this has made me so motivated to do more
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!