Do y'all realize that the more lean mass you have....

Replies

• IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Lean mass equals higher maintenance cost (upkeep). Not just in calories, but to maintain muscle mass. Most of us are trying to figure out how to be sedentary or light activity and keep the weight off; not build muscle.

Are you serious? :noway:

I'm truly stunned at this answer. In what way does it "cost more" to maintain lean mass? (Please don't even TRY to give me that bogus argument that it costs more to eat healthy. And you can work out in outside or in your home FOR FREE just as I did for a few months between gym memberships. Didn't lose an ounce of mass or strength.)

If you have less mass, your metabolism is lower ALL THE TIME so you must consume less calories in order not to gain bf. Less activity + less calories = your body metabolizing your lean mass for sustenance which leads to even lower metabolism ALL THE TIME... and so the vicious circle continues until you are a morbidly obese couch potato that needs to sleep sitting up, is totally dependent on others for your every need.

And "most" of the people here WANT this?!?! ^^^

I think a lot of people do want it. They just want not to be fat without making a lot of major changes in their life. I think a lot of people exercise simply to burn more calories to lose more quickly, rather than thinking about how much muscle they will have in the end.

And I may be way off base, but I took that post to mean "cost more" not in terms of money, but in terms of time and effort. It does take time and effort to maintain muscle mass while losing weight. Especially if you have a lot of weight to lose.

There are also folks who start out thinking that way and evolve their opinion over time.

I can understand that, especially as it's overwhelming for some folks to just hit their calorie goals and make healthier food choices in the beginning. They have to focus on one thing at a time so they don't give up. And then they eventually realize that they aren't getting the body they'd hoped for without exercise and the restriction of calories is too difficult to maintain, so they embark on exercise plans.

Most people don't understand the difference between weight loss and body recomposition. They think that all they have to do is lose weight and they will look the way they want. The problem comes in when they want this weight loss to happen too quickly. They start some fad or very restrictive diet that they think will "jump start" weight loss. They want years of weight gain to magically disappear in a matter of weeks. When the results don't happen the way they thought, they get frustrated and give up. The excuse used, in my smarta$$ wording, "I'm must be a special little snowflake and this just doesn't work for me like does for everyone else."

The real reason it doesn't work is because they made it too difficult to begin with by being too restrictive. And, they are lazy and don't want to work for it.

Good post, OP!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Lean mass equals higher maintenance cost (upkeep). Not just in calories, but to maintain muscle mass. Most of us are trying to figure out how to be sedentary or light activity and keep the weight off; not build muscle.

You've taken a poll?:laugh: :laugh:

Who is "us"? I got the impression that most of "us" wanted a healthier life which may not require becoming body builders but a commitment to fitness (especially those of "us" over 40 who don't want to lose our lean muscle mass to aging)

Yeah, count me out too! My goal is to be fit, not skinny.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    For each extra pound of muscle you only burn a max of 9 extra calories a day. Extra muscle is hard to achieve. That is not really a compelling reason to gain LBM. What are compelling reasons, include:

- strength training you do also helps bone density which in turn helps mitigate the risks of osteoperosis
    - strength training makes you, well...stronger
    - aesthetics regarding body composition

Plus a host of other reasons.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member

I'm truly stunned at this answer. In what way does it "cost more" to maintain lean mass? (Please don't even TRY to give me that bogus argument that it costs more to eat healthy. And you can work out in outside or in your home FOR FREE just as I did for a few months between gym memberships. Didn't lose an ounce of mass or strength.)

If you have less mass, your metabolism is lower ALL THE TIME so you must consume less calories in order not to gain bf. Less activity + less calories = your body metabolizing your lean mass for sustenance which leads to even lower metabolism ALL THE TIME... and so the vicious circle continues until you are a morbidly obese couch potato that needs to sleep sitting up, is totally dependent on others for your every need.

I think a lot of people do want it. They just want not to be fat without making a lot of major changes in their life. I think a lot of people exercise simply to burn more calories to lose more quickly, rather than thinking about how much muscle they will have in the end.

And I may be way off base, but I took that post to mean "cost more" not in terms of money, but in terms of time and effort. It does take time and effort to maintain muscle mass while losing weight. Especially if you have a lot of weight to lose.

There are also folks who start out thinking that way and evolve their opinion over time.

I can understand that, especially as it's overwhelming for some folks to just hit their calorie goals and make healthier food choices in the beginning. They have to focus on one thing at a time so they don't give up. And then they eventually realize that they aren't getting the body they'd hoped for without exercise and the restriction of calories is too difficult to maintain, so they embark on exercise plans.

Most people don't understand the difference between weight loss and body recomposition. They think that all they have to do is lose weight and they will look the way they want. The problem comes in when they want this weight loss to happen too quickly. They start some fad or very restrictive diet that they think will "jump start" weight loss. They want years of weight gain to magically disappear in a matter of weeks. When the results don't happen the way they thought, they get frustrated and give up. The excuse used, in my smarta$$ wording, "I'm must be a special little snowflake and this just doesn't work for me like does for everyone else."

The real reason it doesn't work is because they made it too difficult to begin with by being too restrictive. And, they are lazy and don't want to work for it.

Good post, OP!

But, if you don't have a lot of weight to lose it can work. If you only have 10-20 lbs of weight to lose and you are young, you can just diet it away and still look good. I miss those days of being naturally firm. What a drag it is getting old.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member

Good post, OP!

But, if you don't have a lot of weight to lose it can work. If you only have 10-20 lbs of weight to lose and you are young, you can just diet it away and still look good. I miss those days of being naturally firm. What a drag it is getting old.

You're missing the point. It depends on what "good" means to you. For some, yes, that's true... you can just diet it away and be smaller. But for some, that's not what they are looking for.
  • bcattoes

Good post, OP!

You're missing the point. It depends on what "good" means to you. For some, yes, that's true... you can just diet it away and be smaller. But for some, that's not what they are looking for.

No, I don't think I am missing the point. The fact that "good" doesn't always mean the same thing to everyone was my point. A high LBM is no guarantee that you'll look "good". The poster at the top of this particular thread seemed to not care about body recomposition, they were concerned about losing weight. The fact that she will be a smaller version of herself doesn't mean she will not look "good" or that losing weight through calorie restriction won't work.

Many people lose and maintain weight through calorie restriction. I would wager a lot more do it that way than through worrying about LBM.
  • IronPlayground

Good post, OP!

No, I don't think I am missing the point. The fact that "good" doesn't always mean the same thing to everyone was my point. A high LBM is no guarantee that you'll look "good". The poster at the top of this particular thread seemed to not care about body recomposition, they were concerned about losing weight. The fact that she will be a smaller version of herself doesn't mean she will not look "good" or that losing weight through calorie restriction won't work.

Many people lose and maintain weight through calorie restriction. I would wager a lot more do it that way than through worrying about LBM.

Increased LBM has a host of other benefits that go far beyond increased BMR. Sarauk2sf gave a nice list of those benefits earlier.

For the record, you have a history of disagreeing with posts just because that isn't the way you do things. Whatever way you choose to go about being a healthier person is completely your business. However, just because it isn't "your way" doesn't make it wrong.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member

No, what I am saying is that eating at a deficiency with only healthy, clean, minimally processed foods is still going to result in lost lean body mass because in order to keep lean body mass, the body has to be active. If a person ISN'T active and is eating well, then lbm may be lost, but it's because the dieter's goal is to be leaner and cleaner, not hulk and bulk.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    I didn't read this whole post. I don't think adding lean mass has as much of an effect on BMR as some people think.

However, lean mass is awesome and I'm all for adding it, and/or not losing it.
  • IronPlayground

No, what I am saying is that eating at a deficiency with only healthy, clean, minimally processed foods is still going to result in lost lean body mass because in order to keep lean body mass, the body has to be active. If a person ISN'T active and is eating well, then lbm may be lost, but it's because the dieter's goal is to be leaner and cleaner, not hulk and bulk.

You can combat the loss of LBM while eating at a deficit with resistance training. A person will still experience some LBM loss, but not as great as someone sedentary and eating at a deficit. People can't become "hulk and bulk" eating at a deficit.
  • bcattoes

Good post, OP!

Increased LBM has a host of other benefits that go far beyond increased BMR. Sarauk2sf gave a nice list of those benefits earlier.

For the record, you have a history of disagreeing with posts just because that isn't the way you do things. Whatever way you choose to go about being a healthier person is completely your business. However, just because it isn't "your way" doesn't make it wrong.

Um, I wasn't disagreeing. I was more or less agreeing with what the poster said about most just wanting to lose weight. Not sure if "most" care about LBM or not, but if I had to say most did or did not care, I probably would go with did not.

It is you who disagreed with her because you think differently.
  • EccentricDad

You can combat the loss of LBM while eating at a deficit with resistance training. A person will still experience some LBM loss, but not as great as someone sedentary and eating at a deficit. People can't become "hulk and bulk" eating at a deficit.

And most people responding to this thread is either a hulk and bulk person who is on a 40/30/30 diet or are not at a deficient and are just running every day praying they can get the weight off. What ever happened to self control as the best defense? At the end of the day, everything starts and ends with what you eat and how well your nutrition is.
  • Lean mass equals higher maintenance cost (upkeep). Not just in calories, but to maintain muscle mass. Most of us are trying to figure out how to be sedentary or light activity and keep the weight off; not build muscle.

I think a lot of people do want it. They just want not to be fat without making a lot of major changes in their life.

Thus doomed for failure.
  • IronPlayground

Good post, OP!

Um, I wasn't disagreeing. I was more or less agreeing with what the poster said about most just wanting to lose weight. Not sure if "most" care about LBM or not, but if I had to say most did or did not care, I probably would go with did not.

It is you who disagreed with her because you think differently.

I actually agreed with the OP and said "good post" in my first statement.
  • EccentricDad

I think a lot of people do want it. They just want not to be fat without making a lot of major changes in their life.

Thus doomed for failure.

^This!
  • IronPlayground

And most people responding to this thread is either a hulk and bulk person who is on a 40/30/30 diet or are not at a deficient and are just running every day praying they can get the weight off. What ever happened to self control as the best defense? At the end of the day, everything starts and ends with what you eat and how well your nutrition is.

There is a big difference between body recomposition and what you call "hulk and bulk". Just because someone is setting macro ratios at 40/30/30 doesn't mean they are bulking. The level of calorie intake determines that.

I do agree that a lot of people lack self control, though.
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 266 Member
    I do realize, however that is relatively negligible. From what I've read, a lb of muscle burns fewer than 10 calories per day.

I think that the real benefit to maintaining or building lean mass is
    1) Sexiness
    2) Maintaining muscle means that losses are pure ugly fat, rather than some fat and some muscle.

50 calories per day. That's 5 pounds per year.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    I do realize, however that is relatively negligible. From what I've read, a lb of muscle burns fewer than 10 calories per day.

1) Sexiness
    2) Maintaining muscle means that losses are pure ugly fat, rather than some fat and some muscle.

The 50 calorie/day thing is a hoax made up by fitness magazines. If it really burned that much, serious body builders would need to eat somewhere in the neighbourhood of 10 000 calories/day just to maintain their weight. I don't know about you, but many of them eat 1800-3000/day.
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member

I know this is going to sound inflammatory but I'm going to say it anyway. Every time I come across something written by you on the boards I find you to be more and more of an idiot.

It doesn't sound inflammatory, it just is inflammatory. It's also rude.
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 266 Member

1) Sexiness

The 50 calorie/day thing is a hoax made up by fitness magazines. If it really burned that much, serious body builders would need to eat somewhere in the neighbourhood of 10 000 calories/day just to maintain their weight. I don't know about you, but many of them eat 1800-3000/day.

Actually, professional body builders eat around 7500 calories per day.