Lunches

Options
Hey everyone! So I have been having difficulties of thinking of things to eat for lunch. I know weird. I have no problems figuring stuff out for Breakfast or Dinner. But when lunch comes around I find myself looking in the fridge and pantry and then going and sitting back down lol What are some good things to eat for lunch that are healthy and easy to make?

Replies

• cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    This isnt really a hard thing at all if you think outside of the box.

Take whatever leftovers you have from the previous night's dinner, and come up with an alternative for lunch.

Yesterday, I smoked up a pork butt with a variety of spices (almost a 10lb porkbutt)... I took the half that is remaining and into the pot it went with fresh water, extra seasonings, and I boiled it down to a pulled pork... quesadillas, southwestern-style soup, etc... easy peasy

Whole roaster chicken from last night, pull off some chicken meat... boil the bones with mirepoix, fresh herbs and water... a hearty chicken stock. Strain, add your chicken meat, add fresh vegetables and you can do the following:

1.) eat as-is for Chicken vegetable soup
    2.) thicken it into Chicken vegetable stew
    3.) add/cook dumplings to it.
    4.) add fresh made matzo balls for a jewish chicken and matzoh ball soup
    5.) make a stew and serve with a biscuit.
    6.) serve over noodles or rice

this is extremely easy and simple....
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    what about lunch is hard to figure out? You don't have to eat specific things for specific meals. You can eat some of the same things you eat for dinner at lunchtime. Make a lot for dinner and eat the leftovers the next day for lunch.
  • hannahwrnr
    hannahwrnr Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem! I like lunch to be fresher (if that makes sense) than my dinners. Usually my dinners are hearty and warmed, and I like lunches to be lighter and more raw. I googled it (lol) and found some good ideas. Here are some of my go to lunches:
    Salad greens with chicken and a raspberry vinegarette (my favorite go to salad)
    Salad greens with chicken (again) and apple slices/grapes
    WRAPS! I use flat out flat bread, turkey breast, lettuce and other veggies, and a little reduced fat shredded cheese. I pack apples with cinnamon to go with them.
    Hummus with whole grain crackers/pita bread. I pack veggies to eat with it too.
    Meat and cheese roll ups. I pack a side of fruit and a side of veggie to go with this.
    Sandwiches. Traditional, but can be mixed up and done in many new ways
    I love doing a tortilla roll-up with pb and banana on my heavier workout days. It is sooooo yummy! I pack something kind of salty with this :)
    Then of course, there are always leftovers. I pack leftovers often too.
    I am a preschool teacher so I get a lot of inspiration from my students lunches, and I love it. No, there are not certain things that you should eat at lunch as opposed to any other time of day, but for me, there are certain foods I prefer at midday rather than morning or night.
    Hope this helps!
  • Missyelliotfan33
    Missyelliotfan33 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I guess what is hard for me is staying away from the breads and too many carbs. And when I cook things for dinner I usually just cook my portion that I will eat. I am not a huge fan of left overs.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Homemade soups, fish, chili, veggie burger, cottage cheese and fruit, sandwich or a wrap, beans, eggs. Endless choices. Maybe you just need a little snack since you may not be hungry. Is that possible?
  • Breadbar
    Breadbar Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I was enjoying summer fruit with Greek yogurt but I may switch to the boxes of assorted vegetable broths that they sell at Trader Joes and Whole Foods with some steamed vegetables either blended in or just cut up and added. Heats up quickly in the microwave & I find it a filling lunch.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I guess what is hard for me is staying away from the breads and too many carbs.

Its actually not that hard to do and you can still get one heck of a variety in as well... It just requires good planning on your part, modify a few recipes here and there, etc... Ive been doing this for about 18 months now... it took a couple weeks in the beginning, but after that, its smooth sailing! 8-)
  • georgie181
    Options
    Thank you! I guess what is hard for me is staying away from the breads and too many carbs. And when I cook things for dinner I usually just cook my portion that I will eat. I am not a huge fan of left overs.

don't stay away from breads just eat 1 slice or have a wrap and make sure its wholegrain