Tips and Tricks For A Beginner At Long Distance Running

Options
Hi everyone!
I am setting my first goal which is running 5km.
Does anyone have any tricks/tips on how I should go about acheiving this so I do not get discouraged. I have never been a part of a running group and I would like to build my knowledge and skills at running. I would like to go about this the healthiest and most reasonable way possible so if there is anything you would like to share it would be much appreciated!
Thank you and best wishes on your health goals :)
P.S I am slowly working on my cardio, I had been out of regular exercise due to illness and gained weight from the medications so I do tire out quicker than I used to, trying to keep my energy going and not get short of breath as quick.

Replies

• ncthomas09
    ncthomas09 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I am starting the couch to 5k program. There are tons of apps for your phone or you can google it and write down the schedule if you don't have a smartphone. Its a 9 week program and you run 3 days a week. But you can also take it at your own pace and repeat days or weeks if you need too. I just started today and since I had a set back already I am going to repeat todays workout wednesday.
  • small_ninja
    small_ninja Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I got to 5k by running until I felt tired, walking for 2 minutes, and then running again. Once you hit 5k doing this a couple of times you're usually in a position to cut down the number of "rests" you need and eventually you can get there without having to stop and walk at all. Alternatively, like the previous poster mentioned, I hear C25K is a pretty good program.
  • jamszy
    jamszy Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, Couch to 5K helps greatly! It's all about building stamina in slow increments. I just completed my first 5K, and I would say pacing yourself is half the battle. It's very easy to start off and sprint with the front runners, but maintaining a comfortably pace all the way through will ensure you finish. Good luck to you!
  • victoriadw84
    victoriadw84 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the posts. I have now saved the running plan from C25K. I am excited to start it tomorrow! Cant wait to keep track of my progress!
  • pkaepplein
    pkaepplein Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Now that you have set a 5k in your mind there is nothing to stop you. I like Hal Higdon's training schedules. Also, as others have mentioned pace yourself and please stretch before and after your workouts. Shoes are very important too! If you have not done so already go to a running store and have them fit you into a shoe. The right shoe is the most important companion when running. Good luck!

One more thing, be good to your body after a run. For example (my personal favorite) wheat toast with Ricotta cheese, fresh peach slices. Sprinkle with cinnamon and ginger. YUM!