Low carb diet?

Options
How low in carbs do you have to go to be considered a low carb diet? I do around 50- 100 a day. Mostly because things that have carbs or more correctly, starches, seem to bother my stomach. Fruits and veggies don't bother me, but bread, potatoes, rice and pasta do. I was wondering how much lower I have to go on carbs per day to be low carb. Thanks.

Replies

• eduardoschoen
    Options
    My nutritionist has me on no more than 12g per meal/snack for the first four weeks of my 12-week program. It has worked so far as I am in ketosis (verified by test strips) and I have lost 17lbs and at least two inches off my waist. We will adjust the nutrition plan after the first four weeks.
  • healthymom76
    healthymom76 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    How long does it take for your body to get in to ketosis?
  • SmartWhatever
    SmartWhatever Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    if you're trying to get into ketosis, you should buy keto strips. That way you can tell for sure.
    Everyone is different. Some people can do it in a few days, some people take longer.
    Some people can eat higher numbers of carbs than others and stay in ketosis.
    I myself, started about 8 months ago at under 20gs of carbs a day.
    I now eat about 35gs a day and have maintained ketosis the wholw time.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what the official number is but I know when I was doing Atkins (like over 10 years ago), the recommendation was 20grams of carbs a day. I don't know if that's just according to that diet, where they got that number or what...
  • emstethem
    emstethem Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    About 3-4 days of eating low carb to achieve ketotis .
  • emstethem
    emstethem Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    20 g of carbs per day was the weight loss phase of Atkins then you moved on to eating more carbs for maintenance for life. :)
  • eduardoschoen
    Options
    As others have said each person is different. I am able to achieve ketosis (testing results are very dark red) with around 50g per day. My nutritionist is very happy with that and doesn't recommend I go any lower on carbs because of the amount of exercise I do.

Good luck meeting your goals. :)
  • str0ngest
    Options
    ive been living keto for about 3 months love it cuz i do ckd so on the weekends i carb up. mon - friday under 20g of carbs with 150g fat and 180g protein, plateued for a while but am shaking it by macro managing better, my buddy has been doing keto 3 weeks and has dropped 15 pounds! reddit .com/r/keto is a good place for tips
  • healthymom76
    healthymom76 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the help! I do have strips from when I was pregnant I had GD and they were so concerned about me going into ketosis, was that just because I was pregnant? ar is ketosis bad somehow for your body?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the help! I do have strips from when I was pregnant I had GD and they were so concerned about me going into ketosis, was that just because I was pregnant? ar is ketosis bad somehow for your body?
    That would be diabetic ketoacidosis which requires high blood sugar, high ketones and low pH. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabetic_ketoacidosis

It's a completely different thing to nutritional ketosis, which is a perfectly natural state when fasted - low blood sugar, elevated ketones, normal blood pH