Ankle strengthening exercises

Options
Hello all!

My right ankle is pretty weak so I was wondering if anyone knows of strengthening exercises for ankles?

Replies

• shardown
    shardown Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    bumpity
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I used to play soccer and have really bad ankles. I've sprained both of them at least 3 times each (lost count) and my left one I sprained so bad I tore things. Probably one of the best exercises I used to strengthen was stepping on a stair with the front half of my foot (near my toes and ball of foot) and the back of the foot off of it. Drop your heels slowly down, and then back up so it's like you are trying to stand on your tippy toes, and then stand on your heels. Make sense?
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Great question! I'm dealing with an ankle tendon injury and would like to know this too.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    tap dancing. great for calves too
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Working on mine after I rolled the ankle

http://www.wikihow.com/Strengthen-Your-Ankles
  • shardown
    Options
    I used to play soccer and have really bad ankles. I've sprained both of them at least 3 times each (lost count) and my left one I sprained so bad I tore things. Probably one of the best exercises I used to strengthen was stepping on a stair with the front half of my foot (near my toes and ball of foot) and the back of the foot off of it. Drop your heels slowly down, and then back up so it's like you are trying to stand on your tippy toes, and then stand on your heels. Make sense?

I think I've got an idea. Like you're half on and half off a step and you move your heels up and down?
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Yup! lol. That's a simpler way to explain it than I did.:embarassed:
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    One of the best ways to strengthen ankles is going barefoot. Flexibility of the ankle is super important too search you tube for ankle exercises. The range of motion is so important. Alphabets while sitting without leg straight out helps. Standing and rolling gently your foot out is good, and putting door behind you and rolling heel in circle with the top of the foot down go in both directions. Maybe also search tai chi ankle loosening.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Squats.

That, is, not full squats. Start with soldierstand squats, and progress slowly with jackknife squats, supported squats, and half squats before doing full squats.

Nothing will give your ankles (and entire lower body) a better workout than a good squat.
  • C00lCountry
    Options
    My therapist gave me some exercises to do long ago from an injury.
    It required a band to do it.
    You ran the band around one foot ( say left one) while holding the ends of the band in your hands.
    You loop the end around the other foot, kind of like making an L shape.
    The you try to move you foot left and right. Not twisting your leg but movement in the ankle.
  • JMPerlin
    JMPerlin Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • medennison123
    medennison123 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Id say mobility and stretching. Followed by a load bearing exercise that does not hurt your ankle.
  • triathlete5301
    triathlete5301 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you mean by strength. If you injure your ankles a lot, you could have proprioception issues- meaning your body doesn't know where your ankle is all the time. If it's literally strength I recommend therepeutic bands where you flex in, out, up and down to get them stronger. Calf raises off of a stair are also good. Balance on the one foot. Focus on walking right as well- most of the time if you have a weakness in an ankle, you will protect it, which will ruin your gait. Above all if you have weak ankles and you are going to do something extreme- wear a brace! Don't think that going without it makes you weak- if I had only had a brace (and strengthened it consistently) I might not be where I am today. I'm currently rehabbing a high ankle sprain. All in all, take it slow. You may wanna as a personal trainer or a physical therapist if it becomes a consistent problem though, because everyone has different issues, so be careful and good luck!
  • JMPerlin
    JMPerlin Posts: 287 Member
    Options

I think I've got an idea. Like you're half on and half off a step and you move your heels up and down?

I believe these are called calf raises and they work very well.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Well... the ankle is a joint so it isn't something you can necessarily strengthen. But, you can strengthen the surrounding muscles and focus on making sure the joint is flexible and has a full range of motion.

Calf raises - Raising up onto your toes and lowering back down is a great way to strengthen the gastrocnemius (calf) and anterior tibialis (front of shin).

Calf raises w/ Bent knee - http://www.teachpe.com/strengthening/bent_knee_calf_raise.php
    Can strengthen muscles that flex the foot.

Flexing and pointing the foot is a great stretch!

If you want to increase bone density in the ankle, any of the aforementioned weight bearing exercises should help,
  • shardown
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm going to incorporate your suggestions in with my daily exercises.
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Trail Running!!!!
  • KeegansMomma
    Options
    Great ideas! I rolled my ankle a few years ago. I find it hurts more when I wear shoes all the time. But when I'm barefoot I can go all day and not be bothered.

I think I'll have to try some of these ideas. :D
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Stand on one leg on a fluffy pillow. Balance as long as you can. Repeat with the other leg. My doc gave me this exercise after yet another bad sprain...definitely helped me!
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    My therapist gave me some exercises to do long ago from an injury.
    It required a band to do it.
    You ran the band around one foot ( say left one) while holding the ends of the band in your hands.
    You loop the end around the other foot, kind of like making an L shape.
    The you try to move you foot left and right. Not twisting your leg but movement in the ankle.

I had physical therapy for a badly sprained ankle, and they used the band exercises. Basically use the band to work against to turn your foot up, down, in and out (just the foot). Also doing the leg lifts on the stair. And just standing on the one bad leg- you use lots of muscles keeping your balance.