Holiday Tips

Options
Happy Holidays! I just wanted to wish everyone a happy and fun holiday this season! I know how we can all get caught up in the hustle and bustle of shopping, spending time with family and friends, and numerous parties! Here are some tips that I’ve learned though out the years and hope it can help someone else. If anyone has any other tips, please feel free to add on! Again, Happy Holidays everyone!

1. Start off with a good breakfast if you know you’re going to hit up lunch/dinner or parties later on in the day. This will help you from scarfing down all the food at the buffet.
2. Exercise in the morning… first thing! I noticed during the holidays that I am always running around during the day. By the time I get home, I’m exhausted and just want to plop on the couch. Get it done early so it’s one less thing to worry about…even if it means waking up an hour earlier.
3. Eat a small snack/meal before going to dinner or a party. This will make you less hungry at the restaurant and less likely to eat a huge 2000 calorie meal. Also, you can start with a broth based soup or salad and eat just an appetizer for your meal. If you’re with someone, you can even split your meal.
4. For every alcoholic drink you have, drink a glass of water. I’ve noticed I fill up on the water that I end up cutting my alcohol in half. Other suggestions: Stick with low cal drinks (Rum & diet soda, 64 cal. Beers, etc). Also, avoid snacks while drinking. I have a tendency to eat anything in front of me when I’m drinking. It may just be here and there, but it adds up, especially if it’s chips and salsa, any kind of cheese snacks or nuts).
5. When I am asked to bring a dish to a party I always bring a low calorie/light dish. Cooking Light has some great recipes. Every time I bring a dish no one even knows it’s a good for you recipe until I tell them later.
6. When I’m shopping I speed walk the mall a few times before hitting up the stores. I also park waaaaayyyy in the back of the parking lot so I have to walk a lot further. I even take stairs instead of the elevators or escalators. Every bit helps!
7. On days that I am running around a lot I bring a mini cooler filled with healthy snacks so I can eat while out. I eat every 2-3 hours so I “wilt” easily. Having a stash in the car helps keep me going without me having to stop at a fast food place. If you’re in a cold weather area, thermoses are your friends! Fill it with homemade soups or tea.

I’d love to hear some of your helpful hints for the holidays. I’m sure there are tons I haven’t even thought of! Again hope everyone has a great holiday and remember if you fall off the wagon then just hop back on the next day! Stay focused! :drinker:

Replies

• Luludog1
    Luludog1 Posts: 119
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice/reminders
  • angiemcnett
    Options
    I love your helpful tips. I am going to try as many as I can. Thank you.:smile:
  • hetipt01
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips! Im very nervous about the holidays, but I know that we can all stay on track!
    Good Luck Everyone!
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing!